Just Calories

Has anyone seen good results losing by only counting calories and sticking with the amount your given? Do you still monitor fat, sugar, carbs, etc?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    +1 agree with spiriteagle.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Calories are what matter for losing weight. I do monitor protein though. That is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. I try to get a minimum of 100 grams a day. But as far a losing weight, calories are what matters.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,602 Member
    Protein only. The other macros fall into place with a well rounded diet.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Agree with others. Calories count, so I count calories.

The only macro I specifically monitor daily is protein, for muscle, and because I find protein particularly satiating.

Fat and carbs yo-yo throughout the week, but if I look at the seven day view option, they’re reasonably close averages out over a week.

I could easily drive myself nuts trying to hit daily goals on all macros, so the way I look at it is,”It’s better than it was before”. 👍🏻
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 59 Member
    The only two things I've cared about are calories for weight loss and sodium intake to control blood pressure. So far these two have served me well.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Calories, protein, and fiber are what I care about. Like the others said, everything else seems to fall into place when I meet those goals.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,500 Member
    I only track protein (grams) and total calories, and I've had success. The rest takes care of itself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,015 Member
    edited May 2023
    It's calories for weight loss - directly.

Nutrition can have an indirect effect, because sub-ideal nutrition may spike appetite, making it too hard to stick with a calorie goal; or it may tank energy level, reducing daily life and exercise calorie burn via fatigue (possibly subtle). The direct mechanism is still the balance of calories eating vs. calories burned.

I monitor . . . lots of things? . . . but for health. The only one I don't care about is carbohydrates - I let those fall where they may to balance calories. I agree with others that protein quantity/quality is key, especially for someone who's losing weight, athletically active (not just lifting), aging, or getting lots of protein from plant sources.

I have a protein minimum, and a fat minimum. I usually exceed both, which is fine with me. I'm the rare weirdo who will under-eat fats too often if I don't pay attention, to my observable detriment, so I have a goal. I also strive for a minimum of five 80 gram servings of varied, colorful veggies and fruit daily, and ideally more than 10 servings. If I do that, micros and fiber tend to fall into place nicely without explicit attention.

You can lose weight looking only at calories, but if you find you struggle with appetite or energy level, do consider changing up food choices or timing. Nutrition is more about trying to give yourself best odds of thriving long-term good health.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    Has anyone seen good results losing by only counting calories and sticking with the amount your given? Do you still monitor fat, sugar, carbs, etc?

I lost 90 pounds just paying attention to calories. Weight loss is always because of a calorie deficit. Macros may be important for certain health aspects, ie. if you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or insulin-resistant reducing carbs would be beneficial. However, strictly for weight loss, it is all about calories. Eating more protein and fat helps may with satiety, but my personal experience was as I lost weight and got more active I ate more nutritious foods as sort of a side effect since they helped with satiety and energy level. If you are starting out and are healthy other than being over weight, concentrate on calories to start. Keep things simple. As you get more ingrained into new eating patterns you can consider whether you need to change your macros.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    edited May 2023
    Personally I look at nutrition and not calories, and I don't normally count calories although I am at the moment for an ongoing recomp. The whole food and lower carb diet is satiating enough that I rarely under or over eat and if I happen to find my cloths fitting one way or the other I make conscience adjustments and it's generally my fat consumption that I manipulate from time to time to instigate those adjustments. For example I tend to eat more fat during the colder months, and it's not a coincidence that fat is the least satiating nutrient, and for me that has been true. I lost around 60 lbs and have maintained for quite a few years. Cheers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I have had success counting calories. I don't track fat, sugar or carbs. I do track protein, fiber, and iron for nutrition/health, but they don't affect my weight loss.
  • Kosterc4383
    Kosterc4383 Posts: 32 Member
    I am only able to maintain weight with counting calories. I got a bad hip/knee injury that just needed love tender care en rest. Doc was right but it took me of the road of weightloss. I was 220 lbs/100 kilos when I got injured and still was when I took my first half mile walk again (6 months). My gp did the math on how many calories I needed to not eat away muscles and gave 1700kcal. And I never got that high still didn't loose or gained any weight. And I was really of my feet. Me pedometer hit like 3000 steps per month. Getting snack from pantry was too much effort. (Also had a shoulder issue so crutches where not an option). Now I am back walking for hours a day I have to keep protein up too. The rest, not for weightloss, but for exchange fat to muscles.
  • karfitz2
    karfitz2 Posts: 1 Member
    1. Calories 2. Protein and fiber 3. Sodium and cholesterol 4. Fat and carbs
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    I only monitor kcals and protein and then also try and hit 7 fruit or veg a day and at least 2 litres of water. This is what works for me to make me feel good.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's calories for weight loss - directly.

Nutrition can have an indirect effect, because sub-ideal nutrition may spike appetite, making it too hard to stick with a calorie goal; or it may tank energy level, reducing daily life and exercise calorie burn via fatigue (possibly subtle). The direct mechanism is still the balance of calories eating vs. calories burned.

I monitor . . . lots of things? . . . but for health. The only one I don't care about is carbohydrates - I let those fall where they may to balance calories. I agree with others that protein quantity/quality is key, especially for someone who's losing weight, athletically active (not just lifting), aging, or getting lots of protein from plant sources.

I have a protein minimum, and a fat minimum. I usually exceed both, which is fine with me. I'm the rare weirdo who will under-eat fats too often if I don't pay attention, to my observable detriment, so I have a goal. I also strive for a minimum of five 80 gram servings of varied, colorful veggies and fruit daily, and ideally more than 10 servings. If I do that, micros and fiber tend to fall into place nicely without explicit attention.

You can lose weight looking only at calories, but if you find you struggle with appetite or energy level, do consider changing up food choices or timing. Nutrition is more about trying to give yourself best odds of thriving long-term good health.

Spot on... ^^^This
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    My biggest focus is calories! When I'm training for a competition I try to keep carbs low and increase my protein (basically lowering my carb calorie budget to increase my protein calorie budget). I tend to keep fat higher because I find it keeps hunger at bay for longer. I do love me some carbs though and I do NOT eat nutritious carbs like veggies when I'm taking a training break. I really should though lol!

Overall just partition your calories into 3 separate budgets for each macro and adjust to what works best for you. 4cal per 1g of protein (same for carbs) and 9cal per 1g of fat
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    To avoid chaos ahead of time, I plan out my meals in advance. My focus is primarily on protein and calcium.

My aim is to alleviate the strain on my joints and spine.

While it's true that calories mainly matter, I agree with others on here that quality of calories is important.

When I mindlessly eat, I feel like garbage. When I hit my goals, but ate wrong... still feel like garbage.

Also, depending on ethnicity, watching sodium intake is VERY important.