Can I get taller?

Options
Hello,

I've made this discussion post in hope that I can get a few inches taller in adulthood.Taller

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Pull on your limbs for a couple minutes a day and you'll elongate
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,230 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether you're joking here, or not?

Females usually reach adult height by around 15 years old on average, males more like 18, though individuals can take longer. If you have access to genetic relatives to ask them, the age when they reached adult height would give you clues, and if you're still in the growth window and shorter than they are, odds are especially good for adding some height.

There's also some potential for a person to "grow into" a body weight in other ways, making a higher weight more appropriate over a similar age range and maybe a bit beyond, by things like breasts/hips filling out in young women, shoulders broadening, anyone (but males in particular) increasing muscularity a little without much working for it. At any age, working at increasing muscularity can have a similar effect.

If you're under 17, you're not supposed to be on MFP.

If you're joking . . . well, at one point I learned that one of the US Olympics team members was my height and weight (obviously more muscular, of course), so I joked that I didn't need to lose weight, I just needed to become a world-class athlete. Know what? I needed to lose weight. I eventually did. You can, too, if that's where you're coming from.

Me, I'm getting shorter, because I'm a li'l ol' lady with osteopenia. Oh, well.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Well, I discovered in my 30s that I was a half-inch taller than I thought I was, because I stopped measuring in my mid-teens when it seemed like I had stopped growing (taller). No idea when I gained that extra half-inch, but I suspect it was likely my very late teens/early 20s.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    You may not be able to become taller, but you may be able to “become taller”.

Confusing, eh?

As I’ve lost weight, and built muscle, I’ve become much more confident.

As a result, I carry myself differently.

I feel taller, even if I’m not really. My legs no longer feel thick, they feel and look longer and leaner. My torso feels taller, and even my reach feels longer. I have terrible posture my whole life but have been consciously working on improving it.

All of this has led to the occasional “did you get taller or something?” comment.

I realize now, in my 60’s, that appearance is as much confidence and carriage as it is weight, actual height or inherited genetic shape.

I was watching Property Brothers Cebrity IOU last night. The brothers are well over six feet tall. The young male celebrity they were working with didn’t even come to their shoulders but I didn’t even notice it until he started joking about it, his personality was so confident. He joked about it throughout the show, and every time he did, it struck me anew that he was a giant among actual giants simply through his presence. I just kept forgetting.

Not saying this as a fan girl of the celeb. Couldn’t care less. I’m there for the design aspect, lol.

I’m assuming you’re young and not yet reached adulthood. There’s so much more to life than height and shape. Give yourself the grace to let this go and worry about something that is important. The height chips will lay where they fall. There’s no point in chewing on something you can’t fix.

Hugs to ya, babe!