Incorrect calories?

I’ve just logged my first meal but the app says my one cup of basmati rice contained 640 calories. Does anyone else get bad data like this? Because this is the very first time I’ve used the app I’m not sure if it’s just a glitch, I’m doing something wrong, or I’m misinterpreting the read out somehow.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Yes, that’s high. It’s probably a dry measurement. Search for basmati rice cooked.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,596 Member
    That's definitely wrong. 1 cup cooked would be 180-200 calories. Which means even at dry weight it shouldn't be that much.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,603 Member
    The entries are by every Tom, Dick and Harry so you have to cross check with other entries or go outside the app to other sources for comparison if the food is something you’ll be eating regularly. You want to be as accurate as possible with those.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Also, in regards to accurate logging I suggest always weighing the dry/raw amount prior to cooking. Then weigh item after it is prepared to then figure out the calories of said item with the new weight.
  • Professor_Armstrong
    Professor_Armstrong Posts: 4 Member
    yeah, not everything in the database is accurate
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    You simply chose an option from the database that is wrong. It's crowdsourced and a lot are wrong. Typically, choose an option that specifically states 'uncooked'. And also use Google or the package when possible to double check the calorie count.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I’ve just logged my first meal but the app says my one cup of basmati rice contained 640 calories. Does anyone else get bad data like this? Because this is the very first time I’ve used the app I’m not sure if it’s just a glitch, I’m doing something wrong, or I’m misinterpreting the read out somehow.

That's because you likely selected an entry for a dry measurement. 1 cup of uncooked rice is going to be a lot more calories than 1 cup of cooked rice. 640 calories is about right for 1 cup of uncooked rice which will make a whole lot more than a cup once cooked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    That's definitely wrong. 1 cup cooked would be 180-200 calories. Which means even at dry weight it shouldn't be that much.

1 cup dry rice is around 600-650 calories depending on the rice. 1 cup cooked is more like 300ish calories.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

1 cup dry rice is around 600-650 calories depending on the rice. 1 cup cooked is more like 300ish calories.

1 cup rice seems to be about 185gr dry. So yeah, 600ish sounds about right as rice (and pasta, couscous and similar things) come in at around 350-360 calories per 100gr dry.
  • sollyn23l2
    edited May 2023
    yirara wrote: »

1 cup rice seems to be about 185gr dry. So yeah, 600ish sounds about right as rice (and pasta, couscous and similar things) come in at around 350-360 calories per 100gr dry.

When I looked it up online, it seems that 186 grams is the weight for one cup of cooked rice, not dry. But I could easily be wrong.
  • sollyn23l2
    yirara wrote: »

When I looked it up online, it seems that 186 grams is the weight for one cup of cooked rice, not dry. But I could easily be wrong.

Nope, I'm wrong.... can't actually find anything that agrees about the weight dry vs. wet.
  • MaryFloNS
    MaryFloNS Posts: 19 Member
    If I'm not sure about the item in list I will go to my grocery store website and look up the product and check out the nutrition label to get the proper numbers.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    MaryFloNS wrote: »
    If I'm not sure about the item in list I will go to my grocery store website and look up the product and check out the nutrition label to get the proper numbers.

food data central online is probably a faster commute, but you probably get to spend more activity calories by making the trip and increasing your NEAT!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2023
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

USDA entries will specify raw or cooked. It does not have basmati, or jasmine, which I what I get. The entries I use are:
    • "Rice, white, long-grain, regular, raw, unenriched" 1 C = 675 calories
    • "Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked, unenriched, with salt" 1 C = 200 calories

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)