Can you buy scales that only show your weight loss?

Options
Hello! I am hoping to lose a significant amount of weight, but I find that scales make me disillusioned really quickly. I lose a stone, but because I am still so overweight, I can’t celebrate that success.

I’m looking for scales that show me ‘18lb loss’ etc - like on the biggest loser tv show, but that never show me my weight.

Does such a thing exist please?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea...have you tried Google?
  • kerri5555
    kerri5555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes! But I cannot find any, hence asking here
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know what you mean …a scale to show loss or gain would be less demoralising than the scales! Have you thought about signing up to one of the weight trending apps? There’s several free apps - Libra , Happy Scale?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    There are bluetooth scales that will send your weigh-in directly to the cloud, and you don't have to look at the scale reading until/unless you want to look online. Depending on whether you need to see the display to set some settings at each weigh-in, you could even cover the display to make it invisible. I think some of the scales will sync directly to some of the weight trending apps. For example, I believe Libra for Android links with Withings scales. I think Trendweight may link with some scales, too, but I haven't researched that.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    I have scales that show my weight and the difference with the previous weigh-in. If you cover the part that shows the weight, this kind of scale could work for you?
  • skinnystacy79
    skinnystacy79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    I know exactly what you mean! I currently weigh over 300lbs and can't honestly tell you how I got that way. I don't know about you but I only weigh myself once a wee6 bc looking at numbers everyday is defeating for me. So I step on the scale once a week at the same day/time. I see my number either celebrate or be sad for 15 minutes and move on with my life. I can't allow a number to rob me of this precious existence called life. I have non scale wins such as today: I was able to complete 2 entire rounds of a bootcamp at my gym today! The goal was 3 but I'm so proud of myself and there's no way a number on a scale is going to rob me of this win! Be encouraged and keep your head up!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use the Happy Scale app because it provides trend lines and while I do still see and record my actual weight, I can focus on my current and goal rate of loss per week instead.

Also, you should invent a scale that shows only your progress! I would buy one 😁
  • NinaMorgan27
    NinaMorgan27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't know of a scale that does exactly that, but...

You could get a smart scale (Bluetooth connected) and set it up to connect and update automatically to a weight trend app like Happy Scale or Libra. Both those apps show an overall trend. I find that stops me from stressing over smaller day to day changes.

Then tape over the read out on the physical scale and only look at the weight trends on your app when you want to.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Why not just not weigh yourself at all?
    How about, have a friend read the scale and just give you the minus number.
    Remember reality tv isn’t really real. And those biggest loser type shows have received some bad press around how their approaches are not sustainable healthy weight loss.
    Slow and steady.
    Take care
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider: What do you do if you weigh yourself, you only get the weight loss, and during one weigh-in you find that your weightloss is zero, or goes the other way, thus that you've gained weight? I'm not saying you're cheating yourself, but weight constantly fluctuates, mostly due to variations in water content of your body. This is totally normal. Consider it your ebb and flood. It's influenced by so many things like menstrual cycle, salt in food, feeling not quite so good, stress, new workouts, whatever. Plus it's influenced by when you've pooped last, which obviously is also not bodyfat.

So think about what would happen in this case? Would you still freak out or get sad? Would it be better for you not to use the scale at all? Use a weight trending app that smoothes out those moments? Weight every day and learn that weight fluctuates from day to day in a way that has nothing to do with bodyfat? I'm not saying you should do one over the other, but think about what might work for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I have scales that show my weight and the difference with the previous weigh-in. If you cover the part that shows the weight, this kind of scale could work for you?

That sounds like a great solution for the OP. What's the brand?
  • Ssssanne
    Ssssanne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings scale. Tells you the difference between the last weigh-in and today. It also sends every weigh-in to the app so you can see how well you're doing.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

That sounds like a great solution for the OP. What's the brand?

It's a Tefal Evolis. Not sure if that's available worldwide (I'm in Belgium).
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Might be easier to do ... just quit weighing yourself and use a measuring tape instead .. and then only once a month or so. In the meantime, stick your calorie deficit for most of the days in a week, or within a number you choose below or above that calorie limit. ... so that you eat within a narrow window of calories most of the time. Then .. on the days you are not eating at a deficit, don't go over your calories that would be maintenance for you. ... PS .. and take some full-body pictures on those days you measure yourself.
  • MaryFloNS
    MaryFloNS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love my scale, and I greet her every morning with a positive attitude. The majority of the time it pays off, other times it reminds me that I didn't get enough sleep. If I am up a lb or even 2, I know I didn't eat enough to gain that much weight, that it is fluid and I'm ok with that because a good night's sleep will take care of it. I weigh myself every morning, and don't do it again until the next morning. The numbers going down put a smile on my face no matter how small. Each increment is getting me closer to the 1lb a week I am aiming for. At one time I weighed 315 lbs I now weigh 198 lbs. the majority of the weight loss was lost in the last 2 years since joining MFP and weighing myself everyday. For me sleep is the medicine I need to ensure a weight loss the next morning. My calorie range 1340 to 1400 a day, a rarely go over it and I am never hungry, I eat 3 meals a day and snack at night, I never go to bed hungry. Let the numbers help you. Let them get you to think about what is working and what is not. Do you get enough sleep, do you drink enough so you have to wake up to go to the bathroom at night? I get up at least twice through the night, and that is weight coming off. 8 hours of sleep will get rid of a lb or more of weight that doesn't show on the scale next morning. Just an aside, I don't exercise, my daily activity is enough for me. I am 76 and finally enjoying life again. Good luck and hopefully you will get something out of all the comments.