One Month in the Books

Options
Down 5.2 lbs after one month. Was hoping for more, but just gonna stick to the same number of calories. I think I need to up my cardio and weight training regimen. Any tips will be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    5 pounds could be right on track if you have 20-50 pounds to lose. If the exercise is new, you might also be retaining water from that, which would mask weight loss on the scale.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    Good job! That sounds like a realistic and good weight loss!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it, will you look back, say, six months from now and be disappointed at the 30 pounds you lost?

I doubt it :)

Great job, keep going!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 well said, @herringboxes !!!!!

Hang in there. @MopMop10591 The first month is the second hardest. (Maintenance being the hardest.).

Have you learned any new habits you’d care to share?
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Time Flys....might as well lose weight while it happens. Before you know it you will be down to your goal and it will feel like it flew by. I'm 14 months in, about 66 pounds down. It seems like it went by so fast but also a good slow at the same time. Anyway, just keep doing what you're doing. That's my advice.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a very reasonable amount of weight loss for one month. Keep in mind that this isn’t just about losing weight; ideally, you will be changing your eating habits to be healthier (and also so you don’t gain it all back after you stop restricting calories).
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Any tips will be helpful.
    First, I'm excited for you, having laid a plan, stuck with it, and seen 5 lbs loss. I think you got this.

Exercise causes injury...now hold on...I'm not saying you don't do it. The world's greatest athletes and Olympians are constantly dealing with injuries, just like all the rest of us here. A big source of injury, perhaps the biggest source is "too much too soon."

How about running an experiment? Check to see if after this first average-to-good month of your plan working out as designed to a 5 lbs loss. Double-check the results. Do the same plan again for this month, same food, same lifestyle changes, same exercise regiment, and see if you lose approximately 5 lbs again. If "Yes," congratulations, you have a winning approach, and now it is just math and time to get to whatever final weight you would like to be. 5 lbs/month times X number of months and I'll weigh Y.

People like to imagine themselves being stronger and gaining muscle mass. That's not really my thing, but it is for some. I'm trying to be a runner and be flexible. Think of your "cardio" and "strength" ideas as separate from your plan. First, you want to be at a good healthy weight. (your plan plus the time it takes.) Second, you want to be physically active and engage in cardio activities. That's going to be an ongoing, every week for the rest of your life. So your plan can get you where you want to be with your weight in short order, and being active, and exercise is just the background music for the rest of your life.

Using exercise solely as a tool to lose weight is kind of ineffective. Possible it can work, especially for the very young, but after youth, our bodies just don't want to be switched into high levels of activity mode. Stuff breaks, and there are consequences. Build your exercise base, enjoy it, and have it be a good part of the rest of your life. Not just a hammer to lose 20 lbs.

Tips? Stick with a winning formula. This is what people mean when they say 'lifestyle change."

Again, I'm super happy you have had this successful first month. Good luck.
  • MopMop10591
    MopMop10591 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the support. I’ve stayed with it and am now down 11.2 pounds approaching 2 months. Please feel free to send me friend requests! The sense of community is a strong contributor to my motivation.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the support. I’ve stayed with it and am now down 11.2 pounds approaching 2 months. Please feel free to send me friend requests! The sense of community is a strong contributor to my motivation.

Good for you! Whatever you're doing, it sounds like it's working.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in a month is great! I mean, at that rate, you'd be losing more than 50 pounds in a year. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep at it!
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great job! 5 lbs is awesome! Keep up the great work. IF you feel like you want to do more, then you should. Just remember to make it obtainable and not something that you will dislike later. Find activities that are fun to do.