running question

Options
So I really wanna run, I've been trying to prepair by running in place. I can do that for about 10min. So my question is,how much harder is running for real compaired to jogging in place?? Thanks for any advice,kim

Replies

• Foxzy
    Foxzy Posts: 38
    Options
    The two are quite different. The range of motion is bigger when you run.
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    I can run on a treadmill for half an hour... I CAN'T run on a level surface for longer than 3 minutes without feeling puffed!
  • rvanderpool3
    rvanderpool3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just giving it a try. Is there some limitation preventing you from running(physical limitation, place to run, etc...)? To me, actual running is much easier than running in place(physically and mentally). If you can run in place for 10 minutes, there is probably no reason you couldn't run a couple of miles. Good luck!!
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    The only way you will know is to get out there and try..... It will take you a long time to gain endurance, lung volume, and learn pace....
    Everyone starts with jogging and then walking once you cant jog anymore. A tip i give to people is to take a timer so you only walk for 5 mins and then jog till you cant and walk for 5 mins..... After a week or two, set the timer for 4 mins....... It is not an easy thing to pick up, but so worth it once you get into running :)

Good luck
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Nothing alike.

If you're running on a treadmill for 30 minutes but can't run outside for longer than 3 minutes, you're probably running too fast outdoors. While the treadmill is a little different, it shouldn't be that different. Slow down.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Really? The difference is staying in one place and actually moving.

Why don't you just try one foot in front of the other... Its not hard. Start small and work your way up?
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just giving it a try. Is there some limitation preventing you from running(physical limitation, place to run, etc...)? To me, actual running is much easier than running in place(physically and mentally). If you can run in place for 10 minutes, there is probably no reason you couldn't run a couple of miles. Good luck!!
    nope,I'm perfectly fine. Just havnt ran since my freshman year lol and yea when I was running in place I ran from room to room at some points so I didn't give up! I'm just nervous that I'm going to go to run and get like 1 block away and fall flat cuz I'm THAT out of shape!
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    what I did was I started out by simply walking on the treadmill. If I could only do five minutes the first, day that was fine. I worked my way up to being able to walk briskly for about ten to fifteen minutes. And finally, one ady, when I was ready, I just started running. I also stop in the middle and walk (HIIT). I have since stopped, but I plan to start again, from the beginning.

The first day I tried running, I could barely do it for forty seconds. After working my way up, I waas able to go for at least three mintes. Hopefully that should increase with time.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous, just start moving forward, you'll be fine!
    Lots of people (like me) start out with a combo of running and walking - this means you can build up your running time/distance gradually.
    Google C25K or "beginner running training" and you'll fond a world of advice and suggestions to help you get started.
    If you have a smartphone you can get apps that talk you through run/walk intervals.
    Don't be scared, just do it!
  • SaqibH91
    Options
    From personal experience, running place is not as effective as running outdoors AND you get tired quicker. The reason? It's all psychological really. I found it pretty boring standing in one place for more than a few minutes. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think many people would feel at all motivated while doing that. Running outdoors is great since it's the real deal! You can probably run an hour on a treadmill but when it comes to running outdoors you'll probably only manage 20 minutes. Plus, you can run at different altitudes and get your body working even harder. I've always adhered to the phrase "If you want something, go get it". If you wanted to pass your driving test what would you do? PRACTICE DRIVING! So if you want to become a better runner, then run. No need to beat around the bush. Also the scenery while running outdoors can keep your mind occupied and you won't be paying as much attention to how tired you are. All in all, running in place is not harder on your body but it's definitely harder on your mind because you're just bored at your brain standing in one place, in my opinion anyway. Well I hope that answers your question :)
  • InTenn
    Options
    Jog 100 yards, walk 100. If you get too tired to jog, just walk. In time it will get easier and you will have a better feel for your range. Then you can up the jogging distance, but lots of folks continue to mix up running and walking in the same session. You are doing it for you, so you are the only one you have to please.
  • SaqibH91
    Options
    And as Rubybelle mentioned, there are certain apps available for mobile devices that can keep you motivated. My favourite would be Endomondo. You can keep track of your run via GPS, monitor your speed, duration and even create your own map routes!
  • and_joy
    Options
    When I first began running I could barely run for one minute straight and even then I was huffing and puffing. My legs weren't tired, my chest was. I wasn't sure if it was even possible for me to run.
    Some passed me a walk-to-run 12 week program that ended up working really well for me. I would run 3 or 4 days out of the week. It always started with a 5-minute walking warm up. Then it went something like this:

Week 1: Run 1 minute, walk 3 minutes. 7 times.
    Week 2: Run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes, 5 times.
    Week 3: Run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes, 5 times.
    Week 4: Run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes. 4 times.
    Week 5: Run 7 minutes, walk 3 minutes. 2 times. Then run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes. 2 times.
    Week 6: Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes. 3 times.
    Week 7: Run 9 minutes, walk 2 minutes. 2 times. Then run 7 minutes.
    Week 8: Run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes. 3 times.
    Week 9: Run 15 minutes, walk 2 minutes. 2 times.
    Week 10: Run 20 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 10 minutes.
    Week 11: Run 25 minutes, walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes
    Week 12: Run 30 minutes.

Some of the transitions were really difficult. I had a lot of trouble at about week 4, but I pressed through and found it got easier the following week.

I hope this helps. I found it really helped me to have a concrete goal to shoot for each week. Seeing it laid out logically helped me stick with it. After the program was over I had some ups and downs where I was more or less faithful to keep it up, but my conditioning stayed with me. I can run 5 miles now, in 60 minutes. Not race-winning speed, but great progress from where I used to be. Good luck to you!