Ounces or grams

JJ2944
JJ2944 Posts: 22 Member
Hi, new to logging food here. This morning as part of my breakfast I’ve logged some porridge oats I add to a shake. My scales show 20grams or just under 1oz however both theses measurements give completely different calories etc… pics attached. Where am I going wrong? j870tcx5wl5j.png
sgsrmhcld6ut.jpeg
iwdxnk3ipf5q.jpeg
8tptppu69re1.png

Replies

• JJ2944
    JJ2944 Posts: 22 Member
    I have just worked this out 🙈🙈🙈
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    JJ2944 wrote: »
    I have just worked this out 🙈🙈🙈

We've all done it before. Glad you figured it out! 😆
  • mianholst
    mianholst Posts: 5 Member
    I will go with quacker instant oats, which are easier to digest. B)
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member
    Go with grams. The USDA calculations are all in grams. Every product has grams, but some will add in ounces for all of us poor Americans who didn't get the metric system memo.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    You were comparing 4 grams (at 15 cals) to 28 g (1 oz, at 106 calories. 4 grams at 15 cals = 28 grams at 105 calories (multiplying grams and calories by 7), so the two entries are essentially identical (given that 28 grams is a slight undercount for 1 oz.).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    To answer a different question, the one I thought you were going to ask based solely on the thread title, I use grams for anything 113 grams / 4 oz and under, and ounces for higher amounts, for example, when I am weighing raw meat or dry pasta.

When converting, I use 1 oz = 28 g for smaller amounts, and the more accurate 1 oz = 28.4 grams for larger amounts.

I just started using grams in my 40s and this works for my brain :smiley::lol:
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To answer a different question, the one I thought you were going to ask based solely on the thread title, I use grams for anything 113 grams / 4 oz and under, and ounces for higher amounts, for example, when I am weighing raw meat or dry pasta.

When converting, I use 1 oz = 28 g for smaller amounts, and the more accurate 1 oz = 28.4 grams for larger amounts.

I just started using grams in my 40s and this works for my brain :smiley::lol:

Ounces aren't metric - not used in my country - and I use grams for everything. Ounces just confuse this brain of mine (it doesn't take much😆)
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,489 Member
    That's a big scale!