Fat Loss Support

Options
Hi folks! I’ve decided to try out this app after having it installed for many years but never having enough motivation to want to try to actively record calories consumed. I’ve tried every diet going and yet my weight stays the same. I’ve gone from having an active job four years ago and trail running regularly to now being sat for 40 hours a week in an office with next to no physical activity :(

I’m hoping that by joining this app and regularly posting, I may be able to find some lovely people who can advise / support and I can do the same in return. I have a long way to go and want to lose 40 pounds of fat to begin with before focusing on toning up.

Many thanks for reading! X

Replies

• hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What’s a small achievement you’ve done? What do you know how to do? Can you visualise yourself doing it again to help you do it again? Congrats on returning to the app - welcome to the cult
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    You can "tone up" and still lose fat. In fact it's more BENEFICIAL to do it this way because if you just do cardio and diet alone, the muscles you DON'T use will atrophy and LOWER your metabolic rate faster, meaning it will take longer to lose that fat. Add a full body resistance program and not only do you burn extra calories, but you retain the muscle you already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HillaryIsAJoy
    HillaryIsAJoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I want to point out that you mentioned you “have a long way to go” as if that’s a fact. I don’t know about you, but when I think “I have a long way to go” that generates a feeling of dread and resistance for me! Our brain loves to come up with these stories about our circumstances and it’s just important to check in regularly. What else could be true?

What makes losing 40 lbs of fat a long way? Why does it have to be a long way? What if it wasn’t a long way?

There’s math and then there’s drama—and losing weight requires understanding both. Welcome back!! 💕💕
  • hoarc1987
    hoarc1987 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You can "tone up" and still lose fat. In fact it's more BENEFICIAL to do it this way because if you just do cardio and diet alone, the muscles you DON'T use will atrophy and LOWER your metabolic rate faster, meaning it will take longer to lose that fat. Add a full body resistance program and not only do you burn extra calories, but you retain the muscle you already have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think people may not know what a full body resistance program is and it may too complicated for them to learn all this at the same time.. perhaps they just need to learn a full body resistance program first as if they cut calories, they will get sad and low energy and not have the energy to workout
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    hoarc1987 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think people may not know what a full body resistance program is and it may too complicated for them to learn all this at the same time.. perhaps they just need to learn a full body resistance program first as if they cut calories, they will get sad and low energy and not have the energy to workout
    Programs can be learned through a trainer, or online. Even the most basic programs (with just body weight) are on YOUTUBE. Unless there some real physical disability, the only reason someone doesn't add a resistance program is because they CHOOSE not to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png