No one thinks I'm Hispanic

Options
[******NOTE FROM MIKE - I edited the subject of this topic for clarity, as well as made the intro post explain more clearly why the OP is asking this question]

im hispanic and no one can tell and its starting to kill me :( i just want to show my culture because everyone makes assumptions :(

how would you describe what a hispanic person looks like? I am only interested in your idea of physical appearance. (clothing may be added as a secondary comment)

anything offensive will be deleted and reported.

guys- i know this is very random so i appreciate your responses

:-) thank you guys hope you had a very healthy day!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you are asking people to write a general description of a Hispanic women, it will probably end up being a stereotype, and thus probably offensive.

I really wish I knew how to answer your question without being stereotypical or offensive, but I hope you get the answer you are looking for.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If you are asking people to write a general description of a Hispanic women, it will probably end up being a stereotype, and thus probably offensive.

I really wish I knew how to answer your question without being stereotypical or offensive, but I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

I agree here. I am not sure what you are aiming for.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Dark hair, brown eyes, lovely skin with more pigment than someone from, say Scotland.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Depending where they're from and ancestry (Incan, European Spanish, Carribean) can be wide varied. Larger hips, Brown hair/eyes flattened nose if Incan ancestry or blond/auburn hair , blue/green eyes if European ancestry.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    im hispanic and no one can tell and its starting to kill me :( i just want to show my culture because everyone makes assumptions :(

i was interested in hearing dark skin, tan skin, light golden skin. or brown hair, black hair, wavy curly.

im not insinuating in anyway that this topic needs to be offensive at all. im asking people to describe to me what they feel looks latina because honestly there are so many different ways to see it.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Olive skin, dark hair and a wonderful accent.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Heaven.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Obviously Hispanics are a huge mix and vary in shape, size and color more than any other group.
    The one common trait I notice is the eyes.
    The eyes are large, but stil sort of covered.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I always laugh about what Puerto Ricans look like. We are the 'rainbow' people. I have relatives that are as dark as African Americans and some who have red hair and light skin.... and everything in between.

typically though I agree with the above statement. dark hair, cafe con leche skin, dark eyes...
    my mom has green eyes, and I always wanted them ;)
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    <<<
    THIS is what a Hispanic woman looks like!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My BFF in college was Puerto Rican. She had long, quite curly, very dark hair. Mocha complexion. Dark brown eyes. And she was very curvy.
  • slavaheroyam
    Options
    This is a bit of an odd question. It's like asking what an American looks like considering that people of Hispanic heritage are just as mixed as Americans. There's Asian Hispanics, African Hispanics, European Hispanics, etc.
    I'm of Panamanian heritage, yet I don't look like the average stereotype with my pale, pink skin and green eyes.
    Even your classical Spanish/Native mestizo people have different facial features depending on the country and even then it's not the best example.
    Or are you looking for the wide hips, thick hair stereotype?
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options
    i agree with the heaven part lool

thank you guys, im glad that alot of you have mentioned the fact that there are so many different origins. -its really important that our society sees this-
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Heaven.

This.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

i was interested in hearing dark skin, tan skin, light golden skin. or brown hair, black hair, wavy curly.

im not insinuating in anyway that this topic needs to be offensive at all. im asking people to describe to me what they feel looks latina because honestly there are so many different ways to see it.

Don't let it get to you sweetheart. I am too and absolutely no one can tell. I'm Cuban on my father's side. But I'm white skinned (so was he) with no hint of an accent.

That doesn't matter. That's not what makes a person who they are. Being hispanic is about more than skin color. It's about a strong connection to family and hard work and living life to the fullest. That's something much deeper than dark skin.

I may be pale and I may not speak spanish very well, but I know who I am and where I come from. And it only takes some good music and some good company to feel like I'm back home in Tampa with my people...
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of an odd question. It's like asking what an American looks like considering that people of Hispanic heritage are just as mixed as Americans. There's Asian Hispanics, African Hispanics, European Hispanics, etc.
    I'm of Panamanian heritage, yet I don't look like the average stereotype with my pale, pink skin and green eyes.
    Even your classical Spanish/Native mestizo people have different facial features depending on the country and even then it's not the best example.

LOL at stereotypes....my mom is Argentinian....thick red hair, pale skin and light green eyes. My dad is Mexican, but is 6'4" (tall for there) and gets mistaken for being Middle Eastern all the time. I'm a combination of both....I don't fit the "stereotype" either, but that's what is so great....we're all beautiful in our own ways...you describe yourself like I would describe my mother...beautiful <3
  • slavaheroyam
    Options

I get more people who think I'm Russian or French than anything else really! I learned Spanish before English so if I speak Spanish both white Americans and Hispanic people used to give me dirty looks as a kid. It used to bother me when I was little because I felt like I was Panamanian more than American, but as I got older I just got used to it. I'm Hispanic and it shouldn't matter if people don't think I am.
  • slavaheroyam
    Options

LOL at stereotypes....my mom is Argentinian....thick red hair, pale skin and light green eyes. My dad is Mexican, but is 6'4" (tall for there) and gets mistaken for being Middle Eastern all the time. I'm a combination of both....I don't fit the "stereotype" either, but that's what is so great....we're all beautiful in our own ways...you describe yourself like I would describe my mother...beautiful <3

Even within my Panamanian side of the family, we're very mixed. My great grandfather was from France who came during the building of the Canal. My great grandmother was actually of Romani descent. My great uncle has incredibly dark skin with blue eyes and many of my cousins were born blonde.
    Granted I should say my dad's an American of British/German descent so I was more likely to get the European genes, but I do agree with you about it being great not fitting within the stereotype!
  • sarahazelnut99
    Options

I get more people who think I'm Russian or French than anything else really! I learned Spanish before English so if I speak Spanish both white Americans and Hispanic people used to give me dirty looks as a kid. It used to bother me when I was little because I felt like I was Panamanian more than American, but as I got older I just got used to it. I'm Hispanic and it shouldn't matter if people don't think I am.

But it matters to me so much and this is why im asking. i care what people assume of me because of my own personal disconnect with myself and how im understood with others. i think your beautiful and honestly your right-it shouldnt matter what people think you are, its what you know inside your heart and the culture you were exposed to as a child will always be with you. i grew up away from my family, from my culture and i feel like something is missing. i add accents to the way i speak almost uncontrollably and constantly change the way i speak because of my sense of loss.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hispanics obviously look like me or I look like them. I am approached all the time by hispanics at work or gym talking to me in spanish. I am from North Carolina and in no way do I speak spanish. So I would say black hair and dark brown eyes and olive skin. Huh, I just described myself.