Stuck in binge cycle

Options
I could use some advice. Overeating to the point of nausea lately. Naturally I have a giant deadline that’s sailed past that’s driving it but need some help on getting through this binge cycle. I feel awful.

Replies

• tealcot
    tealcot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Another day in hell :(
  • apressler3
    apressler3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Bingeing is my eating disorder too. Care to talk about the trigger this time? Something specific, or was it just an opportunistic beginning that you are having trouble getting out of?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Buckle down. If I paid you $10,000 not to binge, would you do it? Probably not. You HAVE to think that you're health is worth more than money or temporary satisfaction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Buckle down. If I paid you $10,000 not to binge, would you do it? Probably not. You HAVE to think that you're health is worth more than money or temporary satisfaction.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Unhelpful if OP has a binge eating disorder. A bit of empathy instead.
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hear you...I really do...I am you..just 3 weeks "clean" individuals are way too complicated to know what your specifics are...Brain over Binge by Kathryn Hansen changed my life but still required time to sink in and apply. I have learned some specifics about my body and mind. I mostly need 3 substantial meals...not that I never snack but usually unless there is a pretty good reason...feeling my emotions is the goal..and it isn't the emotion...it is that your brain has learned that that is what you do when that happens...it is the urge itself that makes you uncomfortable and leads you to the cupboard or refrigerator. I personally have discovered that I need protein more than I thought. And milk has always been kind of neutral for me but now...some fairlife skim with some Jocko strawberry protein powder really settles something deep..certain foods are going to satisfy...others just wake the beast...learn what those are for you..and just remember how that sick full feeling feels and that you fix anything with it...I just really had to believe that...deeply before anything else could work. You are not alone 🤗❤️❤️❤️
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Feeling for you. I have bingey days (or more!) where nothing seems to help. While I don't have the answer, here are a few things that help me crawl out of that deep dark hole.
    Future plans. Binging happens very much in the moment. I want to eat something - anything - NOW. I'm not thinking about the consequences. Devouring a whole quart of ice cream is what I want and what I'll have! My best counter is to remind myself of what I want in the Big Picture: Not being the fattest person in the room, how good it feels to effortlessly slip into a smaller size, that upcoming vacation or event where I'd like to look good. Those are all things I force myself to consider All Day Long.
    I think about the things I've avoided participating in, the invitations I've passed up, and the clothes I'd like to wear. I set aside time each day to think about those things and how good it will feel to be healthier and look better. Not kidding: set a timer for 10 minutes and visualize being in that better place. Do that at least 3-4 times throughout the day... even if you are on your way to the kitchen for another snack.
    Time Limits: No matter how many calories I've eaten, I stop eating after 7pm. Sometimes it helps if I take up a small project that will keep my hands busy or indulge in some beauty ritual - like taking a long bath or giving myself a mani/pedi or maybe a facial.
    Pre-Planning: Have your meals for the day planned out. If you can't manage today, plan for tomorrow. Having things already weighed and portioned helps. Even if you continue to eat tons of calories before or after those carefully portioned healthy meals, keep making them anyway!
    Sometimes it takes days - or even weeks to get a grip. Just know that today isn't forever and if you keep at it, you can find your groove. It's mostly a mind-shift. You can do it. ❤️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Unhelpful if OP has a binge eating disorder. A bit of empathy instead.
    No mention of it. Many people who try to lose weight binge eat because they diet too hard or cut foods out to the point where they crave them. That's more than 50 % of dieters out there.
    If the approach is to moderate the food you like, it can be done since there are of lot of people who have had success here that do that.
    And if it is a disorder, I would advise speaking to a therapist that specializes in it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    *hugs* I feel you, it's horrible when you get in that cycle.
    Are there any particular triggers that set you off, recognising them in advance can be a bit part of trying to head them off. It sounds like they're at least partly stress-related so are there other things you can think of that will help you feel better that don't involve food - eg take a bubble bath, go for a walk, do something related to a hobby? That said there are some foods I try not to have in the house at all anymore, as I know it's just too tempting.
    Also, making sure you're eating enough for your regular meals is a big help. I know if I'm running round at work and missing meals then I'm much more likely to be reaching for snacks later on.
    Try and be kind to yourself. It's much too easy to sit there and feel rubbish and useless and weak (all things I've thought about myself) but then you're just setting yourself up to start binging again. Once it done it's done, and move on.
    Feel free to add me if you want a support buddy x