Do you consider prescription weight loss medications cheating?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sunsetwind
    Sunsetwind Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No
    I don’t think taking a prescription medication solely for weight loss is a bad thing. We need to be wise and use it accordingly in aiding one’s weight loss goals. To rely on and for a long period of time, I believe wouldn’t be a good thing.
  • fskhw9fssb
    fskhw9fssb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No
    I have been taking a weight loss medication 20 years ago. It suppressed my appetite but I do feel hungry. But after eating a little bit, I feel full. I lose 1-2 lbs per week. So after 1-2 months, my goal is reached and I stop the medication. Two years later, the drug was banned because researchers found that the side effect (causing heart disease) is greater than the effect. Soon I understand that the long term use of weight loss drugs eg. Taking 1-2 years to lose more than 50 lbs is basically at risk to health. A balanced restricted calorie diet plus regular workout is
    a more healthy way to lose weight. A change in lifestyle by eating more wisely and regular workout is essential to maintain ideal body weight afterwards.
  • jasonpaget76
    jasonpaget76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No
    Derpes wrote: »
    No, but it is maddening that Hollywood and the rich are taking Ozempic out of the hands of those who need it most.

I use Ozempic and I'm neither of the above. Best decision I've ever made. Gone from 17st4 to 15st12 inside 6 weeks. Ozempic is a brilliant tool, but planning meals and nutrition is equally important as always.
  • jasonpaget76
    jasonpaget76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No
    jtongen1 wrote: »
    It’s cheating if you cheat yourself out of learning how to loose the weight properly and maintain it. More than that, I’d be concerned about using drugs designed for diabetics that are already in short supply for them.

I think we all know how to lose weight 'properly'. I use Ozempic, I've been planning meals, hitting and exceeding protein targets and trying to limit saturated fats. Once off Ozempic, those lessons are still learned, but let's be honest, we already knew pizza and chips three times a week is a bad idea. Yes, I do feel a sense of guilt when I buy Ozempic as it's designed for diabetic people. The hunger suppressant is very real though and the weight is falling off me.
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No
    Definitely not cheating. Like others have said it's not a competition! If it gets you to a healthy weight and improves your quality of life I'm all for it.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it is cheating. To be using prescribed medication to lose weight is probably as a result of having tried other, if not all, methods of losing weight & it has not worked for them. Weight loss medication runs the risk of side effects & whilst I would not contemplate it - because I take medication for other autoimmune disease, I would not condemn others for considering to take it., as we all want to be healthy & losing weight goes a long way to acheive that IMO.
  • DeniseMRussell
    DeniseMRussell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No
    This question isn’t debatable bc it lacks a clear premise. The clarified question is:
    Is medically assisted weight loss “cheating?” Then “cheating” is not clarified bc it’s a flawed concept, therefore this “debate” lacks premise. The question is a shrouded degradation toward people who may want or need medical treatment to lose weight. This subject requires a discussion with a medical professional, not an opinion poll on an internet message board.
  • thesawyerbunch
    thesawyerbunch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but for me personally, I'm not a fan of weight loss pills, shots, or surgery.