Disabled what excersize can I do.

Options
Hi guys, I'm B. I'm new ish to my fitness pal. I'm steriod dependent so low energy, and at the moment in a great deal of pain, and limited movement as I'm waiting for a new hip. What exercises can I do.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    There are wheelchair exercise routines, you could probably find some on YouTube.

Other than that I think this is a question for your doctor, maybe s/he can prescribe a Physical Therapist.

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think PT would be a great option. My mom had some for a while when her knee had problems, and she told me she definitely felt better after - stronger, more endurance, etc.

You could discuss with the trainer some ideas for options after PT was done.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Definitely speak to your doctor about what you can try. Swimming is low impact and may be suitable but without knowing the extent of your hip problems it's hard to say for certain.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    can you use an exercise bike? if so, you can go any speed/intensity that works for you.
  • Kurstyna
    Kurstyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ugh if you are in pain then I would do hot compresses, hot water soaks, massage and then weight lifting, ie. sit on floor and try to lift a 5 lb. bag of sugar on your foot. Or just stand up and stretch out your shoulders, delts and fly's along any wall. you will feel so much better!!!! Listening to music is good or spend $5 and get some aromatherapy oil, slap it on your hands, your arms, your temples...will maybe take away thoughts of pain for you.
  • Kosterc4383
    Kosterc4383 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I just got disabled 20 years ago they made me train my arms and torso. By giving me something in my hands that i had to hold in position. Later also circle. And also practical things. On your bum up and down the stairs. (Always with someone down stairs of you, incase you slip). And check floor core exercises. At pt or gym hand bike. ++ of power in your arms is when you need crutches. Or have to ask help with getting around after surgery. -- you don't fit in cute shirts and tops anymore as you become a bit more bulky.
  • ByteLily
    ByteLily Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Are you able to walk ? Can you find the local pool and wall the pool ? Can you sit comfortably? Download the fiton app and search for workouts that are low intensity , they have even just simple stretches, simple yoga, etc. Any and every type of workout can be found there. Even meditation. And it's free.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,734 Member
    Options
    Just don’t not do something.

My mom refused to do PT, and preferred to move as little as possible. It was shocking to me how fast limbs atrophied and how fast she declined afterwards.

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but you have to take control of the pain rather than let the pain take control of you.

I changed my ways after witnessing that. I’m not going to let arthritis or joint pain run my life. I am more than the sum of my aches.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist, and this:
    Just don’t not do something.

My mom refused to do PT, and preferred to move as little as possible. It was shocking to me how fast limbs atrophied and how fast she declined afterwards.

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but you have to take control of the pain rather than let the pain take control of you.

I changed my ways after witnessing that. I’m not going to let arthritis or joint pain run my life. I am more than the sum of my aches.

Yes, my partner's mother refused to do her PT and ended up in the nursing home, where she continued to refuse to do PT. At the end, it took two people to get her on and off the toilet.

I've had issues with my elbow, wrist, back, hip, knee, ankle and foot, and am always adapting to find a way to be active.