30-40lbs weight loss

Hello!
I’m a 24 year old female. I have been trying to lose weight forever but just keep gaining. I’d love some Info and advice about how much calories I should be eating, types of workouts etc. I’m 5’0 and 160lbs. Any tips will be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,603 Member
    You're taking in too many weekly calories. Start tracking your calories. At 5-0 and 160 you'll be around 1,200-1,400 calories daily. As far as working out, you'll have a combo of cardio and weights. There is a multitude of programs however you want one that you'll enjoy so you'll look forward to it. I'm sure some posters that usually run super long posts here will elaborate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,941 Member
    Yeah, set up your Goals to "Lose 1 pound per week."

Log food.

In a month, you'll have enough data to look at your progress and see if you are losing one pound per week. If not, adjust calories.

Here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    If you are gaining weight it likely means that you are consuming more calories than you are expending per day.

Did you use the guided set up in MFP...? Put in your stats, and say that you want to lose either .5lbs or 1lb per week. It should give you a daily calorie goal. Start there and then use MFP as intended. Note: when MFP asks your 'activity' level they mean you lifestyle/job...not any intentional exercise. You log that as well in MFP and it will give you those calories back to eat. It's important to be sure to be as accurate as you can with how much you're eating and burning if you can.

*General idea - I used a TDEE calculator (which when it asks for activity level it DOES include exercise so I just used sedentary, since I assume you'll use MFP to log everything, but this may be different if you are doing things differently).

Your estimated maintenance level calories is ~1677....and your BMR is ~1400 so, unless you have an active job/lifestyle you actually don't have much wiggle room to create a deficit. You can help this out by becoming more active all around or add in workouts (both cardio and resistance training). You can sort of use trial and error to figure out what amount of your workout calories you want to eat back. Since you have less wiggle room between your TDEE and BMR...you might want to start out by eating back only 50% of them and see how that goes.

So your daily calorie goal might be somewhere ~1500-1550ish. Try that and see how it goes after a few weeks and then make adjustments from there.
  • sam7778446
    sam7778446 Posts: 4 Member
    Calorie intake is everything

If you take more calories

Just burn it by exercise(hiit) burns most calories

• sam7778446
    sam7778446 Posts: 4 Member
    I also have lost weight multiple times
    But gained back every time plus more
  • jengerbeatty
    jengerbeatty Posts: 39 Member
    I'm nearly the same size/shape as you - I'm 5'3 and about 152 pounds; I also want to lose about 30.
    It's hard being short because there isn't much wiggle room in the calories you can eat - I'm trying for 1200/day...that doesn't leave room for a lot of food, and I like to eat!
    Track EVERYTHING that you eat, and look at how many calories in each food - try to each A LOT of fruits and veggies (calorie dilute foods). Just realize that it has to be a total lifestyle adjustment - it's a forever way of living, not just a 'diet' for a short time, because you'll just gain back the weight if you go back to the way you were eating before.
    I have a sedentary job, not sure about you...but I try to take a walk break every day, and walk the dogs at night or shoot basketball with the kids, or some quick kettlebells in the morning, garden chores, just something physical to keep your strength and activity up.
    Good luck! Friend request me if you want, I share my food log, I find that's helpful to see what other people are eating too (or I'm just nosy :)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,603 Member
    I'm nearly the same size/shape as you - I'm 5'3 and about 152 pounds; I also want to lose about 30.
    It's hard being short because there isn't much wiggle room in the calories you can eat - I'm trying for 1200/day...that doesn't leave room for a lot of food, and I like to eat!
    Track EVERYTHING that you eat, and look at how many calories in each food - try to each A LOT of fruits and veggies (calorie dilute foods). Just realize that it has to be a total lifestyle adjustment - it's a forever way of living, not just a 'diet' for a short time, because you'll just gain back the weight if you go back to the way you were eating before.
    I have a sedentary job, not sure about you...but I try to take a walk break every day, and walk the dogs at night or shoot basketball with the kids, or some quick kettlebells in the morning, garden chores, just something physical to keep your strength and activity up.
    Good luck! Friend request me if you want, I share my food log, I find that's helpful to see what other people are eating too (or I'm just nosy :)
    you small ladies have it the hardest. Sometimes a 500 cal per day deficit will be difficult if not impossible especially as you lean out some so it’s important to be as active as possible to be able to not have to go too low. Food choices become ultra important. The big challenge is keeping it off!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited May 2023
    sam7778446 wrote: »
    Calorie intake is everything

If you take more calories

Just burn it by exercise(hiit) burns most calories

Calories are the key, that's for sure. But exercise selection isn't as simple as "do HIIT", unfortunately - even if weight loss is the only goal.

HIIT burns more calories per minute, but isn't necessarily the way to burn the most total calories. HIIT also tends to be over-hyped in the blogosphere these days.

True HIIT is time-limited: We can't keep up high intensity for very long. Moderate/low intensity exercise can be done for longer time periods - if a person has the time budget for it - and burn more total calories. The EPOC (excess post exercise oxygen consumption, "afterburn") from HIIT is over-rated, as it's a percentage of the base calories burned in the exercise session. Lower intensity exercise also has EPOC, and while the percent is lower, the total caloric value of EPOC can be higher because the number of calories burned in the longer session is higher.

True HIIT also tends to be more fatiguing, and that's particularly a concern for new exercisers whose goal is weight loss. If a person exercises to exhaustion, then drags through the rest of the day (moves less with home chores, non-exercise hobbies, and such; plus rests/sleeps more), that reduced activity reduces the net calorie benefit of the exercise.

On top of that, some current exercise modalities called "HIIT" - such as high-rep low-weight strength circuits - can be more prone to poor form occurring (due to speed and/or fatigue), thus increase injury risk.

High intensity exercise, in the long term, has a role in a well-rounded exercise program. But from a fitness perspective, if elite athletes don't do all high intensity all the time (and they don't), why would us regular duffers? High intensity exercise, from a fitness perspective, is more of a side dish or condiment, not the main meal.

I'd encourage the OP to do some strength exercise (to keep as much current muscle as possible alongside losing fat), and find cardiovascular exercise that they personally find fun and energizing. Fun exercise tends to actually happen, while extreme and unpleasant exercise - however theoretically beneficial - tends to be procrastinated, skipped with the slightest excuse, and eventually may even be given up altogether.

ETA: If this comes across as harsh, I'm sorry. I don't mean it that way. The over-hyping of HIIT in the blogosphere by fitness influencers and marketers is one of my pet peeves, so I'm probably over-reacting. Too many trendy sites are selling it to people pursuing weight loss without a full explanation of the pros and cons, and some even seem to claim that it's the only way. It's not. High intensity work does have some special benefits, but works best in an overall program where someone has developed good base fitness, then adds higher intensity gradually to avoid injury, burnout or excess fatigue.
  • nhowell0918
    nhowell0918 Posts: 2 Member
    I am literally the same as you! I am 5'1" and am currently at 160lbs, however, in January I was 170. I had high blood pressure, and when talking to my doctor, she recommended a vegan diet. I was unsure at first, but I went with it anyways since she gave me the app (21 day vegan). It had so many delicious dishes! Another app she recommended helped me to keep some daily eating goals as well (daily dozen). I lost my 10 pounds and dropped my blood pressure. I platuead eventually, and have started to incorporate meat slowly again.
    It can definitely be hard for us short people!
    I can