Low-impact cardio without equipment

Options
GazelleLady
GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
edited June 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, everyone! For the last several months, I've been addicted to doing high-intensity exercise in the morning when I get up (mostly to keep my anxiety at bay). I was doing jump squats and running in place (getting my heart rate in the 150s-160s). However, I recently sustained at least two (possibly 3) stress fractures in my feet and can no longer do high impact workouts.
I love riding my bicycle, but the doctor thinks that was making it worse as well. I will soon be going on a trip in which I won't have any access to exercise equipment. I really need to find a way to get my heart rate up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want something intense that will get my heart rate really high. If I am wearing my walking boot, squats should be ok, but I wouldn't mind a little more variety.
Thank you!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a break from it during your trip. Come back fresh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I'm with Tom. I understand what you're saying about anxiety, but it's also the case that healing should be your top priority for now. If you must exercise, look up chair exercise for wheelchair athletes on YouTube as a possibility. But rest - maybe with meditation and/or gentle stretching? - might be better now from a physical perspective.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. As hard as it is, you do need to let your feet heal. If not, you'll never be able to resume high-impact activity.

While not cardio, last year after a bad case of gout in my right foot that lasted over a week and I was unable to even get a shoe on, I found some really challenging pilates videos on YouTube. Most of the time you're on a mat and not even standing up, but they were surprisingly good workouts! I did one that was arms only, one that was glutes and hamstrings only and another that was core and legs. I still do those now because I gained so much strength from them (plus they do raise the heart rate!). Give it a try!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a break from it during your trip. Come back fresh.

This^^^

Also, your HR doesn't have to be sky high all of the time with exercise to have benefits. Engaging in strenuous exercise all of the time is actually a pretty *kitten* training protocol for reasons you're currently experiencing as well as others.

I'm curious about the bike though...cycling is about as low impact as you can get aside from swimming...it's one of the reasons that it's my primary form of cardio...and I don't even come close to pushing my HR in the 150s-160s all of the time...I mean maybe it'll get that high if I'm doing some hills or something, but it's completely unnecessary to do that and train like that all of the time. My next most primary form of exercise is simply walking.

Maybe take it easy.
  • GazelleLady
    GazelleLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input, everyone! I knew that my training protocol was more intense than necessary, but it was hard for me to quit.
    Will a week and a half off of vigorous training affect my overall health/fitness?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input, everyone! I knew that my training protocol was more intense than necessary, but it was hard for me to quit.
    Will a week and a half off of vigorous training affect my overall health/fitness?

No, but I'm not sure that's enough time for your feet to heal, either. If you just mean taking it easy while on vacation, then sure. That won't affect your overall health and fitness level.