Shoe Recommendations (UK)

Options
weeblex
weeblex Posts: 412 Member
Hi all, I've been walking to lose some weight (Down from 265lbs to 245lbs so far) and I seem to be killing shoes. My first pair were Air Nike's and I wore them all the time for about 6 months, then they lasted 2 months with my added walking. I then bought a pair of Sketchers GoWalk and it took 4 weeks and 100 miles before the padding failed and the sole tore. That's 8000 steps a day on average.

Sketchers deemed the damage "Excessive wear" so I think Sketchers GoWalk is not designed for sustained walking, at least not for me.

Can I get some recommendations from UK people about shoes that can survive a 245lbs man walking 8000+ steps a day and maybe some running? I can't afford a new pair of trainers every 4 weeks.

Thanks

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I think you might need some slightly harder shoes rather than the soft squishy ones. Have a look at lower profile road running shoes, as they’re designed to last a bit longer. But even they have a limit, and it’s recommended you change them every few hundred miles. Have you tried actual walking shoes or boots? Merrell do some great ones (although not cheap) and my walking shoes have lasted years. I have fabric walking shoes and leather walking boots. The boots are new but I reckon they will also last years. Can you get to a Go Outdoors or Mountain Warehouse to try some on?
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've been trying out the "barefoot" shoes and strangely I have no more muscle or joint aggregation than I get from shoes so I've started running with those. I still have to work out some walking trainers but if I can run "barefoot" perhaps walking that way is good too.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 283 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Hi OP … I was going to suggest a walking boot / shoe too that is harder than a trainer type. I’m heavy and need ankle support to get my daily walking in … I have some light (weight) Brasher boots that I swear by & they last years … & years! Ithink they do shoes? They are a bit pricey, but good value IMO. Good luck in your search & congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • karfay3
    karfay3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best shoes my husband and I have found are New Balance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenalines used to be recommended for heavier runners. I have always had good luck with Brooks shoes.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’m Canadian. Sorry I don’t know if they are available in the UK. But I suspect they would be. I like:
    Grisport https://www.grisport.ca/ made in Italy
    Oboz https://obozfootwear.com/en-ca

Congratulations on your health journey so far.
    Good luck!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    If running shoe stores are a thing in the UK, go get professionally fitted. They’ll check your gait and make recommendations. One of the things they suggested for me was going up a size, because of the shape of my feet, and I’ve been very grateful. Foot pain gone, no repeat of plantar fasciitis.

If you’re pleased with the shoes purchased, but concerned about price, here in the US, Amazon often carries last season’s colors for about 1/3 - 1/2 off.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I buy hiking shoes for regular walking and boots for hiking. You can pick them up reasonably from Sports Direct, my favourite brand are Karrimore, they last at least a year, usually much longer and I wear them to work too, so almost every day. There's no need to buy the expensive names.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hoka. Hands down. I’m an avid walker and had plantar fasciitis. They are expensive, and took a minute to get used to (they have arch “bumps”) but I’ve had this pair for 5 months and they fit like a glove. I will buy more.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Hoka. Hands down. I’m an avid walker and had plantar fasciitis. They are expensive, and took a minute to get used to (they have arch “bumps”) but I’ve had this pair for 5 months and they fit like a glove. I will buy more.
    Shoes are so personal, aren’t they? I had a pair of Hokas and loathed them. I called them my “clown shoes”. The toe box was so wide long and stiff, I kept tripping in them.

The running store had a money back guarantee but I was too embarrassed to take them back. I dunno why. 🤦🏻‍♀️. Donated them with probably less than ten wears on them. Couldn’t walk in them , couldn’t run in them. That was the nice thing about a running store (they also sold walking shoes). Super generous return policy if I’d had the nads to use it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Shoes are so personal, aren’t they? I had a pair of Hokas and loathed them. I called them my “clown shoes”. The toe box was so wide long and stiff, I kept tripping in them.

The running store had a money back guarantee but I was too embarrassed to take them back. I dunno why. 🤦🏻‍♀️. Donated them with probably less than ten wears on them. Couldn’t walk in them , couldn’t run in them. That was the nice thing about a running store (they also sold walking shoes). Super generous return policy if I’d had the nads to use it.

Shoes are definitely personal because I also absolutely love my Hoka shoes and will be buying more. I have wide feet and these are the first pair of walking/running shoes that I've had in years that didn't make it feel like my entire toe to arch area was being squeezed mercilessly. They are so comfortable for my feet.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

They ARE kind of ugly. They make my feet look giant!

• jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am a UK male of a similar weight to the OP and also find that shoes wear quickly. I have had quite a few pairs of Merell Moab trail shoes and they generally last around six months which is expensive but not as crippling as the usage the OP describes.
    I have more recently started monitoring the www.hotukdeals.com web site for trainer deals and buying likely looking pairs which are available at a cheap price.
    Some of these, such as Adidas Terrex, have worn quickly and others, such as Reebok, lasted longer but getting them cheap softens the blow when they wear out.
    Probably not the greenest option but it has worked well for me.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I've got a pair of Hoka recovery slides and I'm in love with them. I put them on immediately after I'm done running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wear day hike "sneakers". My preference is the Salomon Outpulse. I consider them to be basically "urban hikers" with some multi-terrain capability, though I don't know that I'd wear them on a serious hiking trail...easy groomed trails are fine...but they're great for urban walking.

I kind of came upon the idea by accident on a trip that had a lot of site seeing and walking and I ran into a guy wearing "hiking sneakers"...I was having some issues with my Brooks runners on this trip and I asked him how he liked his shoes.

Essentially, they are made to walk a lot of miles...they are very comfortable and have a bit more support than a typical runner would. The sole of the shoe is also much harder and firmer than a runner so I don't end up feeling every bit of the road bleeding through my shoe after a couple of miles.

I bought my Salomon Outpulse shoes just before a trip to DC...was putting in 25-30K steps per day and they still felt great and the soles and everything still look new now 3 months later. I walk everyday and between that and my day to day stuff I get 10K+ steps per day and these are my everyday, all day shoe. They also have a slightly lower heal drop compared to a runner, which I prefer for walking a lot of miles.

522313_111_ss_01

This is the exact pair I have.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I use seasonal hiking boots for walking and always have. right now 2 pair of Merrill's and a pair of Keens. If you want to get the best mileage out of a pair of shoes, then don't wear the same pair everyday. Running shoe are for running. :) Shoes are my weakness, and have 54 pair at the moment, yes I know.
  • AppleFitnessfan
    AppleFitnessfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenalines used to be recommended for heavier runners. I have always had good luck with Brooks shoes.

I second these. I love my Brooks sneakers. Some are more pricey than others. But from a comfort standpoint I find they are worth every penny.