Is it normal to get acid reflux while eating healthy and less?

Options
I have been dieting since Monday and after 3 days I got bad reflux. I thought eating too many tomatoes so I quit anything that could even come close to causing problems and few days later after a small cesar salad got it again. This time thinking either the dressing or its my body getting used to less food, less carbs and sugars. I quit all desserts and been pretty low carb this week.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I've found acid reflux to be more about the types of food rather than quantity. Besides, of course, avoiding eating for about an hour before bed. But I think trigger foods can be highly individual. I can eat canned tomatoes, but not tomato sauce. Why? Who knows.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,585 Member
    Options
    My GERD disappeared with weight loss.

When it comes back now, it’s either a (very obvious) indication I’ve over eaten, or is often triggered by dehydration.

If I eat a meal without drinking anything with it, particularly something dry like bread or even greens, reflux can trigger on a dime and send me SOS running before it comes back up.

I have to remind myself to drink water with meals.

Sodas can occasionally trigger it if dehydrated, too.
  • mollysmom2009
    mollysmom2009 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i always get more gerd/heartburn when i first start reducing the amount i eat. this does seem short-term, though, as long-term it does improve.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    i always get more gerd/heartburn when i first start reducing the amount i eat. this does seem short-term, though, as long-term it does improve.

When you reduce calories, do you also eat different types of foods? My mother's reflux is related to what she eats. (And stress.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since Monday and after 3 days I got bad reflux. I thought eating too many tomatoes so I quit anything that could even come close to causing problems and few days later after a small cesar salad got it again. This time thinking either the dressing or its my body getting used to less food, less carbs and sugars. I quit all desserts and been pretty low carb this week.

Tomatoes are in this top 10 list of heartburn foods:

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The first time I got acid reflux or Heartburn i mistook it for a heart attack, and when to hospital. Now i know what it it is I tend to ignore them, but a near empty stomach will bring on heartburn sometimes for me, and dieting is one way to get heartburn often, just drink plenty of water regularly if it keeps bothering you.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that my stomach will produce more acid if it’s empty so smaller frequent meals of low acidic foods is best. If I miss a meal and then eat my acid reflux is worse for sure. So maybe try to keep some good and don’t fast or skip meals.