Losing weight for a woman over 120 kgs

Options
How to start and what to focus on?
Tagged:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Log food. That's the single most important tool there is.

Study your food page and learn from it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,135 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The main focus should be total calorie intake, that's what determines fat loss/gain.

So I would start by logging your meals as you are used to having them and seeing how many calories that adds up to.

You can then set up Myfitnesspal for weight loss and it will give you a calorie goal. Based on your usual meals, you can reduce portions/ proportions of what you eat, perhaps find lower calorie alternatives for some foods or meals. With time you can make other gradual changes: increase vegetable intake for example, if you feel that's necessary (the increased fiber can help you feel full).

Don't worry too much about your macros: I didn't start taking notice of them until 6 months into my weight loss. A certain amount of protein is useful to help preserve muscle. Aside from that, macros can be interesting to look into if you're having issues with hunger: protein (and fiber) can help you feel satiated with fewer calories, some people feel less hungry lowering their carbs - it's all very individual and worth experimenting with.

For me the key is taking gradual steps and not doing anything unpleasant. Don't ban your favorite foods, don't overhaul your diet in one go, don't aim to eat so little/ lose so fast that you're constantly starving.
    And don't beat yourself up if you have a 'bad' day, just learn from it, no one is perfect 🙂