FUSSY/FOOD PHOBIAS

Options
Does anyone else find it hard to keep a balanced diet due to the number of foods they cannot bare?

I am phobic about fish, seafood and most meats. I struggle badly to get enough protein, so use shakes. But so many foods I just do not enjoy. Its a struggle to stay healthy. 😪

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find it hard to keep a balanced diet due to the number of foods they cannot bare?

I am phobic about fish, seafood and most meats. I struggle badly to get enough protein, so use shakes. But so many foods I just do not enjoy. Its a struggle to stay healthy. 😪

You don't need seafood or meat. Do you eat any kind of beans, legumes, or soy? Those are good sources of protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have any. Maybe talk with a professional about it. Cheers
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am very picky but I'm still managing a balanced diet. If there is 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 1 fat and 1 grain that you like, you're able to get a balanced diet. For me that typically means -

apples and oranges
    broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
    egg, cottage cheese and cheese
    nuts, peanut butter, hummus
    bread and oatmeal

I am working on incorporating more things but just those will get me the basics. You don't have to eat elaborate things. I have a lot of preferences about mixed foods and flavor combos so I don't combine a lot of things. Still able to get the basics in.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

You don't need seafood or meat. Do you eat any kind of beans, legumes, or soy? Those are good sources of protein.

I eat beans but will try adding some soy too.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am very picky but I'm still managing a balanced diet. If there is 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 1 fat and 1 grain that you like, you're able to get a balanced diet. For me that typically means -

apples and oranges
    bread and oatmeal

I am working on incorporating more things but just those will get me the basics. You don't have to eat elaborate things. I have a lot of preferences about mixed foods and flavor combos so I don't combine a lot of things. Still able to get the basics in.

That sounds really good. Will try focusing on what I do eat and making sure I keep a balance of all food groups.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

How do you define "phobia"? If it is an actual phobia, I suggest professional help for that. However, I knew committed ethical vegans who had a strong aversion to meat due to their beliefs - nothing wrong with that. They made legumes the backbone of their diet and were healthy and fit.

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/information/avoidant-restrictive-food-intake-disorder/food-phobias
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

apples and oranges
    bread and oatmeal

That sounds really good. Will try focusing on what I do eat and making sure I keep a balance of all food groups.

There are so many options out there, and a lot of foods are actually combos of multiple food groups. Even a french fry isn't terrible if you break it down - it's carbs and fat. And in the right amount for your body, there is nothing wrong with food like that! I think that protein is over-hyped and there is a lot of media that puts too much importance on eating meat, fish and high protein everything. My biggest advice is to eat what you like and include some fruit and veggies. Those have great nutrients that are good for your body. Even if you're just eating cheese pizza, a fruit and a vegetable, you're probably still getting most (if not all) the nutrients your body needs. Don't stress about it too much. There are so many ways to eat and still be "healthy." Focus on doing what you need to do to feel good and to reach your goals. :)