Chicken breast in Pressure cooker ? instapot?

Options
ByteLily
ByteLily Posts: 52 Member
Does anyone here use a pressure cooker for any reason ? Like for meats or beans ? Can you put chicken breast in one ? My chicken breast turn out tough and awful I heard that using a pressure cooker can remedy that. I mainly eat chicken breast . Have tried sauteing, grilling, baking. It doesn't matter. Shoe leather 😢. I always overcook it.

Replies

• PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely cook chicken breast in a pressure cooker. You can also get good results in a slow cooker.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is one of the recipes we did in our pressure cooker. We don't have an Instant Pot brand but it works the same.
    https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2018/04/instant-pot-honey-garlic-chicken.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I use my instapot for a lot of things, but not chicken breasts. I don't eat chicken breasts at all for the very reasons you mention...it's just dry and flavorless not matter the cooking method. The only exception would be some recipe I found for boneless, but skin on chicken breasts baked in an oven with a pretty hefty amount of oil and lemon slices.

I eat a lot of chicken, but it's primarily boneless/skinless thighs which hold up very well to pretty much anyway you want to cook them...I've even slow smoked them over indirect heat on my grill for an hour and then finished them over high heat on the grill and they were still delicious and juicy. They're much better than chicken breast in my opinion and not appreciably more calories...and they're cheaper.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I use an air fryer. Breasts come out nice and juicy. Usually about 15-20 minutes sometimes a little longer if they’re really thick. Best way I’ve found to cook breasts.
  • ByteLily
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I use my instapot for a lot of things, but not chicken breasts. I don't eat chicken breasts at all for the very reasons you mention...it's just dry and flavorless not matter the cooking method. The only exception would be some recipe I found for boneless, but skin on chicken breasts baked in an oven with a pretty hefty amount of oil and lemon slices.

I eat a lot of chicken, but it's primarily boneless/skinless thighs which hold up very well to pretty much anyway you want to cook them...I've even slow smoked them over indirect heat on my grill for an hour and then finished them over high heat on the grill and they were still delicious and juicy. They're much better than chicken breast in my opinion and not appreciably more calories...and they're cheaper.

I think you may have converted me to chicken thighs. I'm assuming you buy the frozen or do you buy fresh ?

Skinless and boneless ? With summer here I'm thinking perhaps a slow cooker m so with these. It's too hot to cook anyways.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    ByteLily wrote: »

I think you may have converted me to chicken thighs. I'm assuming you buy the frozen or do you buy fresh ?

Skinless and boneless ? With summer here I'm thinking perhaps a slow cooker m so with these. It's too hot to cook anyways.
    thighs are wonderful but higher in calories than breasts especially if you leave the skin on. This isn’t a problem if you need to add fat to your diet and the extra calories fit your calorie target.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here use a pressure cooker for any reason ? Like for meats or beans ? Can you put chicken breast in one ? My chicken breast turn out tough and awful I heard that using a pressure cooker can remedy that. I mainly eat chicken breast . Have tried sauteing, grilling, baking. It doesn't matter. Shoe leather 😢. I always overcook it.

Before I got a food thermometer I always overcooked chicken to be safe. Now I cook breast to 165 degrees F. Thighs are supposedly done at 175 degrees but I like them closer to 200.

Even with the thermometer, breast can be trickier than thighs. However, I've never had a problem with baking breasts *** if they are bone-in, skin-on.*** These have also worked well in the slow cooker. Chicken *** tenders *** are easy for my partner on the grill.

I find big boneless skinless breasts easiest to do in stir fries, but problematic if trying to bake or grill.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I get fresh thighs. For the oven in the winter, with or without skin and bones. For the slow cooker, I used to do either, but to save time now use skinless/boneless.

I've been using a gas oven after years of electric ovens and boy do they throw off a lot of heat! I seldom use the oven in the summer anyway - this time of year I delegate grilling to my partner :lol:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Overcooking results in dry and tough chicken breast, and happens every time . Invest in a thermometer.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We also do chicken thighs. They're hardly higher in fat and taste way better. It's almost impossible to mess them up too. You can even toss them into the instapot frozen with some liquid and seasoning and it turns out great. Or, if you prefer the oven, we lay them on a baking tray, set the oven to 400 and cook for about 20 minutes. Toss some seasoning on too. You don't really even need oil or butter on them because they have enough fat in them. 10/10 would recommend. And, they're less expensive than chicken breasts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don't get them frozen. I get them at Costco in the cooler section with all of the other meat, poultry, fish, etc. That said, I've never had a problem finding them in the regular grocery store either but I have a family of 4 to include boys who are 13 and 11...my teen in particular can suck down food like a garbage disposal.

They're vacuum packed so I just throw them in the freezer if need be, but it's not typically necessary this time of year. The whole package is about 8-10 Lbs of chicken and comes in 6 pouches. This time of year I'm on the grill a lot so I usually cook 3 of the pouches on Sunday and we have that for dinner and then leftovers for lunches for the next couple of days. I usually do another 3 pouches on Wednesday for dinner...and then the same...lunches for the next couple of days for the four of us.

Since I have more time on Sunday I usually do a BBQ style chicken and use Stubbs BBQ rub and then smoke them over indirect heat on my grill with a mix of pecan and cherry wood for about 45-60 minutes (45-60 is best, but sometimes I'm fooling around in the yard with the kids and miss my timer) and then finish them over direct high heat. I use a Stubbs moping sauce for best results and try to mop them a couple of times while they're on indirect...but again, sometimes I get side tracked with the boys or whatever.

During the week I just want to get dinner on the table so the other 3 pouches get marinated (currently the consensus family fav is Teriyaki) and I just straight grill them which only takes about 8 minutes on each side and I can generally have everyone plated up Wednesday evening in about 20 minutes or so. I usually chop all of the chicken up (against the grain) with a meat clever rather than serving whole thighs...this way people can take what they want and it's easier for packing lunches too.

I very, very rarely make chicken breasts and when I do, it's bone in with skin...but if I'm going that route I usually just cook a couple of whole chickens.

imageService?profileId=12028466&itemId=47731&recipeName=680

Note...I further trim them if my wife is around while I'm prepping, as she will give me a hard time if I don't...otherwise I just throw them on as is and nobody is the wiser.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I don't get them frozen. I get them at Costco in the cooler section with all of the other meat, poultry, fish, etc. That said, I've never had a problem finding them in the regular grocery store either but I have a family of 4 to include boys who are 13 and 11...my teen in particular can suck down food like a garbage disposal.

They're vacuum packed so I just throw them in the freezer if need be, but it's not typically necessary this time of year. The whole package is about 8-10 Lbs of chicken and comes in 6 pouches. This time of year I'm on the grill a lot so I usually cook 3 of the pouches on Sunday and we have that for dinner and then leftovers for lunches for the next couple of days. I usually do another 3 pouches on Wednesday for dinner...and then the same...lunches for the next couple of days for the four of us.

Since I have more time on Sunday I usually do a BBQ style chicken and use Stubbs BBQ rub and then smoke them over indirect heat on my grill with a mix of pecan and cherry wood for about 45-60 minutes (45-60 is best, but sometimes I'm fooling around in the yard with the kids and miss my timer) and then finish them over direct high heat. I use a Stubbs moping sauce for best results and try to mop them a couple of times while they're on indirect...but again, sometimes I get side tracked with the boys or whatever.

During the week I just want to get dinner on the table so the other 3 pouches get marinated (currently the consensus family fav is Teriyaki) and I just straight grill them which only takes about 8 minutes on each side and I can generally have everyone plated up Wednesday evening in about 20 minutes or so. I usually chop all of the chicken up (against the grain) with a meat clever rather than serving whole thighs...this way people can take what they want and it's easier for packing lunches too.

I very, very rarely make chicken breasts and when I do, it's bone in with skin...but if I'm going that route I usually just cook a couple of whole chickens.

Note...I further trim them if my wife is around while I'm prepping, as she will give me a hard time if I don't...otherwise I just throw them on as is and nobody is the wiser.

These are the same ones we get. We usually get 2 packs at a time and put 1 in the freezer and cook 1 entire pack. I'll usually split it between oven and instapot. Within an hour, my fiance has chicken for the week. I do the same with the next pack when he's ready for another round. It's by far the easiest thing we make that can be used for so many different things.
  • ByteLily
    Options

These are the same ones we get. We usually get 2 packs at a time and put 1 in the freezer and cook 1 entire pack. I'll usually split it between oven and instapot. Within an hour, my fiance has chicken for the week. I do the same with the next pack when he's ready for another round. It's by far the easiest thing we make that can be used for so many different things.

Thank you for all of that good advice ! I have them in my list to see how it goes. I think my route will be slow cooker because I'm still learning the grill. I've gotten pretty good at direct heat but my grilling is probably different as I only have a little 14 inch smokey joe and it doesn't stay hot for too long so indirect heat isn't something I've tried. I do also trim the fat off of them but it's been a very long time since I had them but I do recall rolling them out and trimming the fat from them. Thank you for taking the time to help !
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,772 Member
    Options
    Our favorite fast meal is to get a “taco kit”, and throw chicken breast in a crockpot along with the taco seasoning and the salsa.

Do it in the morning, come home to perfect chicken, shred and spoon into tacos with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.

Done! And surprisingly low cal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,772 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Also, check out the Ninja outdoor electric smoker grill. You can even use it on a covered balcony or screened porch.

It will tell you when to add the meat, when to turn (if necessary), when it’s perfectly done, and how long to let the meat rest (if needed).

We’ve smoked pork in it and it came out like a good BBQ restaurant, with literally nothing to do but push a couple buttons.

Burgers have been restaurant quality, as have grilled steaks. Pomegranate salmon was out of this world.

And to clean, you just lift out the griddle pan, and wash it in a sink.

It is the most amazing appliance ever. Ingenious.