Fasting

Options
andysport1
andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
Doctor Fung fasting
I lowered my carbs and sugars for two weeks, removed all alcohol, Day 1 minimal carbs followed by 15 hour fast, next day, worked in the garden, below 1000 calories, only 2 black coffees and minimal carbs followed by 17 hour fast, during this fast I did a 2:30 bike ride and the keto sticks say nothing, not a glimmer of colour change and my blood sugar is 96 before the bike ride and 106 after
What's going on

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Since you are not a newcomer to IF or Keto, I guess I'd ask what you think? What's different this time?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Blood sugar normally goes up after exercise (adrenaline stimulates the liver to release glucose) and blood sugar will fluctuate throughout the day anyway. Carbs need to be really really low, generally below 30g's for 3 or 4 days, but then it depends, some people will take longer and if your checking ketones right after a high protein meal, that might influence it. Regardless micromanaging the ups and downs of your metabolism really isn't useful.

If you want to be in ketosis for whatever reason, then just commit to the diet and it will happen. Why you want to do it is probably a better question and how sustainable it is, is also a vital question to ask, and most people fail simply because it's a very restrictive intervention that at the end of the day isn't going to make much difference on actually weight loss compared to other strategies.

The people that truly find that diet helpful are people that have struggled with inflammatory issues like heart disease, diabetes, insulin resistance, cognition problems, arthritis and obesity that eventually stumble onto it from doing their own research from not finding much luck anywhere else and the compliance issue is more of a back burner issue. Cheers
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Doctor Fung fasting
    I lowered my carbs and sugars for two weeks, removed all alcohol, Day 1 minimal carbs followed by 15 hour fast, next day, worked in the garden, below 1000 calories, only 2 black coffees and minimal carbs followed by 17 hour fast, during this fast I did a 2:30 bike ride and the keto sticks say nothing, not a glimmer of colour change and my blood sugar is 96 before the bike ride and 106 after
    What's going on

What does 'minimal' carbs mean in terms of grams consumed?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar normally goes up after exercise (adrenaline stimulates the liver to release glucose) and blood sugar will fluctuate throughout the day anyway. Carbs need to be really really low, generally below 30g's for 3 or 4 days, but then it depends, some people will take longer and if your checking ketones right after a high protein meal, that might influence it. Regardless micromanaging the ups and downs of your metabolism really isn't useful.

If you want to be in ketosis for whatever reason, then just commit to the diet and it will happen. Why you want to do it is probably a better question and how sustainable it is, is also a vital question to ask, and most people fail simply because it's a very restrictive intervention that at the end of the day isn't going to make much difference on actually weight loss compared to other strategies.

The people that truly find that diet helpful are people that have struggled with inflammatory issues like heart disease, diabetes, insulin resistance, cognition problems, arthritis and obesity that eventually stumble onto it from doing their own research from not finding much luck anywhere else and the compliance issue is more of a back burner issue. Cheers

Neanderthin has pretty much covered it. Just commit to a keto diet and ketosis will happen. It takes several day to use up your glycogen stores before you will start going into ketosis. I agree it is restrictive, however, with various health issues I have developed from less than ideal eating pattern which I didn't want to get worse, I went to a keto diet. Happily, it works for me overall so compliance has not been a huge issue. If you have one of the issues mentioned by Neanderthin, you may find keto helps a lot with them. As for Dr. Fung, while I appreciate much of what he says, I find he often seems to absolutize things in a way that is less than helpful if one is only looking to lose weight. I found his stuff really helpful in dealing with the medical issues that I recently started to deal with, but for just weight loss, not so much.
  • andysport1
    Options

Didn't know blood sugar went up after exercise, I normally only test once or twice a week, I'm a vegetarian so the keto diet doesn't really work for me, however I exercise a lot so, at the moment I'm trying to reintroduce fasted bike rides, normally I can watch my carbs, 12 hour fast for two days and I'm in ketosis (I try and stay in for a few days by staying low carb) this time round it's frustrating, as nothing is happening and I actually felt naff this morning, one hour into the bike I bought biscuits and a coke
  • andysport1
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Doctor Fung fasting
    What's going on

Less than 50g
    However, I exercise far more than most people, at 50g I can usually stay in ketosis for 2 or 3 days, I'm vegetarian so keto really doesn't work for me, far too restrictive
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Doctor Fung fasting
    What's going on

Less than 50g
    However, I exercise far more than most people, at 50g I can usually stay in ketosis for 2 or 3 days, I'm vegetarian so keto really doesn't work for me, far too restrictive

If keto doesn't work for you, then why are you looking to be in ketosis, especially being a vegetarian, curious.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Doctor Fung fasting
    What's going on

Less than 50g

If keto doesn't work for you, then why are you looking to be in ketosis, especially being a vegetarian, curious.

I think he's working off of the idea that fasting will put you into ketosis.
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Yeah, I suspect that's why as well, but trying to micromanage our metabolic machinery do a specific job at a specific time is a bit optimistic I would say. Possibly the thought is that when in ketosis, that the body burns fat for fuel, who knows, especially when he said he bought biscuits and a coke, giving up on that idea and fueling with carbs instead. cheers
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I suspect that's why as well, but trying to micromanage our metabolic machinery do a specific job at a specific time is a bit optimistic I would say. Possibly the thought is that when in ketosis, that the body burns fat for fuel, who knows, especially when he said he bought biscuits and a coke, giving up on that idea and fueling with carbs instead. cheers

Yup. Agreed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options

Didn't know blood sugar went up after exercise, I normally only test once or twice a week, I'm a vegetarian so the keto diet doesn't really work for me, however I exercise a lot so, at the moment I'm trying to reintroduce fasted bike rides, normally I can watch my carbs, 12 hour fast for two days and I'm in ketosis (I try and stay in for a few days by staying low carb) this time round it's frustrating, as nothing is happening and I actually felt naff this morning, one hour into the bike I bought biscuits and a coke

If you bought a coke and cookies an hour into the bike ride, why in the world are you surprised your sugar went up? Am I missing something?

If you were feeling “naff” (love how spellcheck wants that to be “nag”, it clearly knows me!) it was probably wise of you to pay attention and quench that need.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Doctor Fung fasting
    What's going on

Curious what you're trying to achieve via this route? (Tastes are individual, but that routine would make me utterly miserable.) I admit, I'm a Fung skeptic.

I'm also vegetarian, and fasted workouts (for me) are miserable - two facts, not necessarily related to each other. I understand not wanting to eat keto as a vegetarian, 100%. But that brings me back to . . . what leads you to take this approach, or to pursue ketosis at all?

I admit, my sport is short endurance, not long endurance, but if there's a sports endurance goal (trying to develop more ability to fuel from fat?) , personally I'd be more inclined to go the traditional time-tested route of training endurance, managing pace/intensity during long training sessions or events, and having a rational fueling plan for long events/workouts. But that's just me.
  • andysport1
    Options
    Doctor Fung fasting
    What's going on

Less than 50g

The keto diet doesn't work for me
    I am regularly in ketosis, if I fast for 14 hours then cycle when I return I'm usually in ketosis, I try to hold ketosis for two or three days so I plan this for once every few weeks, for me it's simply having reduced carbs for those few days and exercising after every meal.
    But to follow a keto diet as a vegetarian is not so healthy, I'd need to take lots of supplements and the diet is restrictive and boring in my opinion
  • andysport1
    Options
    Yeah, I suspect that's why as well, but trying tomicromanage our metabolic machinery do a specific job at a specific time is a bit optimistic I would say. Possibly the thought is that when in ketosis, that the body burns fat for fuel, who knows, especially when he said he bought biscuits and a coke, giving up on that idea and fueling with carbs instead. cheers

I was at a loss, no energy, in the middle of a bike ride, didn't know what else to do, never drink coke normally, don't normally have any issues but this week something isn't right, I've felt lethargic for 2 days now, couldn't sleep last night as I felt soooo hungry even though I ate at 8pm
    I simply don't know what's going on
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I suspect that's why as well, but trying tomicromanage our metabolic machinery do a specific job at a specific time is a bit optimistic I would say. Possibly the thought is that when in ketosis, that the body burns fat for fuel, who knows, especially when he said he bought biscuits and a coke, giving up on that idea and fueling with carbs instead. cheers

I was at a loss, no energy, in the middle of a bike ride, didn't know what else to do, never drink coke normally, don't normally have any issues but this week something isn't right, I've felt lethargic for 2 days now, couldn't sleep last night as I felt soooo hungry even though I ate at 8pm

That's what happens when you're not eating enough. Rethink your program--it's not for you.
  • andysport1
    Options

That's what happens when you're not eating enough. Rethink your program--it's not for you.

I'm sure you are correct, got to figure out what I can eat, how calories are in what foods and what carbs
    Once I've figured the food I'll restart the faster exercise
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options

I'm sure you are correct, got to figure out what I can eat, how calories are in what foods and what carbs
    Once I've figured the food I'll restart the faster exercise

Great decision. Fasting and exercise performance are not natural partners, and the impact can be punitive, as you're finding.

Maybe go read some critical reviews of Fung's thinking. It might make you feel better. It won't be hard to find critiques from well-credentialed sources.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This might be a silly question but I’m confused. Firstly, are you trying to lose weight? If so, why are you trying to be in ketosis if you don’t need to be to lose weight? I’ve never heard of a vegetarian forcing ketosis while intermittent fasting before. My body would be incredibly compromised if I did this. Especially with so much exercise.

Am I missing some magic behind ketosis that I should be aware of?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Fasting isn't a magic method to getting fitter or losing weight. How many calories are you taking in a day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png