What is your go to stress release

Options
If you can tell us why you picked that option.

What is your go to stress release 20 votes

Cardio/zumba/highfitness
10%
anngroenBringIt2023 2 votes
Running out/ treadmill
20%
spiriteagle99KarenSmith2018RunStart34poopt787 4 votes
HITT/HIIT
0%
Cake/cookies/food
25%
scarlett_kSherlockWWilson13MischanteMiss_A86shundaj50 5 votes
Sauna/steem room
0%
Other
45%
neanderthinythannahcwolfman13MaggieGirl135nossmfvivmom2014tulips_and_teaAnnPT77arobey11 9 votes

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Other
    Didn't see weight lifting as an option.

Why lifting? It's a case of mind over matter, me exerting my will to effect a change in the world around me. That weight isn't going to move itself, in fact it resists moving. But I decide to move it, and through exerting my willpower through my body, I MAKE it move. When the rest of my world is in chaos and things are happening despite my best intentions, I can hit the weight room, and for that next hour, all the chaos zones away to simple movement (up, down), counting to 5 or 10, and it all happens because I choose it to happen that way.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Other
    Jumping in the hot tub, right before bed!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Other
    Other. Definitely walking / hiking out in nature.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    depends on time of day and a variety other factors.

often i'll pick up one of my bass guitars and play along with my favorite songs or songs i've been working on but haven't quite learned yet. sometimes i find watercolor painting - not necessarily creating a complete pic, but experimenting and playing with patterns, textures and colors is very relaxing. or i'll draw and experiment with colored pencils and watercolor pencils or hop on an exercise bike and play fairway solitaire as i pedal my cares away.

reading is another passion, but when i'm really stressed, it's sometimes hard to focus on a book (well, ebook, as i often read free books on kindle). but sometimes it's just the ticket.

sometimes i'll browse for stuff i might be interested in getting later in life - fitness equipment or ball jointed dolls can lead down a rabbit hole for me, and as long as i don't have to get to sleep soon or have work to do, i find it very soothing to shop, browse and compare. i spent 2 hours yesterday watching videos and reading reviews about power racks, and it really helped me unwind.

sometimes i turn to chocolate or salted pistachios...

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Other
    For direct stress release I like to go for a good trail walk with my dog, that works pretty well. I have a hybrid breathing-meditation routine I do and recently within the last year I'm doing Tai Chi, which I'm beginning to get some decent relaxation from, it's not as easy as it looks lol imo. I'll throw some 50's and 60's jazz on the turntable and have a scotch and generally 2 or 3 times a week before bed I'll turn on the jacuzzi. Cheers
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Other
    Prayer. Then exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Other
    Like cwolfman and zebasschick, I'd say it varies.

These days, I have a low-stress lifestyle, but in relatively higher moments of stress the helpful thing might be exercise, getting some fresh air and natural light, poking at flowers and such (houseplants or outdoors), distraction, simple "watch the breath" meditation, stretching, good music, getting absorbed in a fun crafts project, visual journaling, talking with a friend, and probably lots of other things I'm forgetting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do something cardiovascular outdoors. Right now I'm working on the last gardening project before it gets too hot and I lose interest until the late summer/early fall.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cake/cookies/food
    I don't know why I do it but when I've had a super stressful night at work ect I crave and turn to sweets. Thankfully I can fit it in my calorie goal (most of the time) but it's something I've only come to realize in the last month or so. Honestly now that I've noticed that high stress is a trigger for me I am really wanting to find a healthier stress reduction outlet.
  • SherlockWWilson13
    SherlockWWilson13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cake/cookies/food
    Cakes/Cookies/Food

It used to be boxing for sure but since relocating out to the West Coast and not having easy access to a boxing gym I've unfortunately started stress eating which has derailed my weight goals. I definitely tend to go for high fat or sugary foods in times of stress but have been trying to combat that by being mindful to eat the same thing every day for say a week at a time regardless of stress.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Other
    Walking. I need to get out of the office and walk every day at lunch to recharge and de-people for an hour. Walking with the dog evenings and weekends. Or just hanging with the dog in general.