Running.

Options
I really need to start running, but I just hate it :(
Is there any possible way for me to enjoy it?

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to start running? Perhaps there is something else that you might enjoy instead, like swimming, zumba, cycling etc.

If you really want to run you could try running with an MP3 player with playlists of some of your favourite tunes or run with a friend. Perhaps try a programme like Couch to 5k (C25k) to build it up slowly so you're not feeling like it's an impossible task. You never know, you might find it fun following the programme and listening to the podcasts at the same time or your music. good luck with it :happy:
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Could try running with people.

Could try something called couch to 5 k (I think, correct me if wrong).

I prefer to run outside, on grass, school ovals do nicely. As you are just starting out, why don't you challenge yourself to just do 1 or 2 laps a day, that's maybe 5 or 10 minutes of jogging, not heaps but a great start.

Also, stretch before and after and control your breathing so you don't get out of breath.

And, get a heart rate monitor, I have found that to be the greatest motivating tool of all time.

PS I for one like running but bike riding is just as good heart-rate-wise
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1. Ipod - listen to whatever your music is and jog slowly rather than run. Jog to one song, walk to the next song. Always jog slower than you think you need to.
    2. Download C25K (couch to 5k), music isn't to everyone's taste but its an excellent way to learn how to run
    3. My mantra when running is : "My running is eating my fat away; My running is eating my fat away" LOL!!!!

I only started a couple of weeks ago and I can feel the difference already.
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    I hate running too.
    I'm fat, old and male so public sweating isn't for me: I just have to use force of will to lace up my shoes and get out running.
    C25K is great, especially if you download an app or something so you can see your progress. Seven weeks ago I was like some sort of dying bug after a few minute intervals of running. Yesterday I ran 25 minutes, all uphill (yep, you can do that in South Wales).

I still hate running, but I'm pleased with my very modest success. Can you force yourself to do it anyway? This approach isn't for all, but if the alternative is to jump around self consciously to loud music with a bunch of smiling, effortless skinny-minnies...
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You don't need to like running, you don't need to run. I started running because walking was boring, so I wanted to see if I could - I can run around 5k at a pinch without dying :D (standard daily run is between 2k and 4k)

Start with the Couch to 5k, and get a good sound track on your ipod! :) It really helps. I actually think running can be addictive. :D
  • nirvana1
    Options
    The key is not to set yourself up for a fall. Start small. Try to give yourself small goals at first like, I will run for 5 minutes without stopping, then up your goal slightly every few days.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The key is not to set yourself up for a fall. Start small. Try to give yourself small goals at first like, I will run for 5 minutes without stopping, then up your goal slightly every few days.

or a la c25k, 90 seconds. I've learned to run alone (last time round) and using this programme this time. I think using the programme is better. Simpler, somehow.
  • rocklion
    rocklion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. Then I went trail running a few months ago and now love running.

You don't have to run, but if you do, experiment. Try an iPod. Try going out to some trails and running through the woods. If none of that gets it for you, find an exercise you do enjoy.

Also, bear in mind the fitter you become the more you'll enjoy it as well. I just ran two 5k's - the Warrior Dash and a Mud Run. I set those as goals for when I got fit. I killed them and loved them.

But also try cycling, eliptical, swimming, whatever gets you moving.
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with the start small :)

I didn't like running at all when I first did it, it helps to run with a buddy if you can or get a really good playlist going and just tune out to that :D

If you find it's not for you there are lots of other things to try as well, it's not for everyone and there are some days when I just think "nah, not again" and I go and do something else :) That's the great part of leading a healthy lifestyle, there are so many ways to make it fit you :D
  • Mivarty
    Mivarty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd endorse what everyone else has said about Couch to 5k - it's a really good way to get started.

If you don't enjoy the running itself, you will enjoy the feeling afterwards, even if it leaves you exhausted!

The best tip I've ever heard about exercise is if you know you should be going for a run but can't seem to talk yourself into it, just put your workout gear on - you'll feel much more like doing it. It sounds strupid, but it works for me, anyway.

Good luck - I hope you come to enjoy running instead of dreading it :-)
  • rcvinluan
    Options
    1. Ipod - listen to whatever your music is and jog slowly rather than run. Jog to one song, walk to the next song. Always jog slower than you think you need to.
    2. Download C25K (couch to 5k), music isn't to everyone's taste but its an excellent way to learn how to run
    3. My mantra when running is : "My running is eating my fat away; My running is eating my fat away" LOL!!!!

I only started a couple of weeks ago and I can feel the difference already.

I like #3...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not really liking the idea of needing to run...for me, I chose to start running because what I needed to do was kick my exercise up a notch and get past a plateau, running just turned out to be the easiest way. I started with C25K with hopes of at least finishing the 9 weeks. I hated running then and to be honest, I still don't like it too much now...especially when I ran 12 miles yesterday. BUT the sense of accomplishment over something I once thought impossible and the high that came with it was SO WORTH it!
    And I agree with everyone else on the music, C25K, running with others, etc.