Lower back pain

Options
I battle with back pain due to a car accident. I need some exercises for the abdominal area. Sit-ups and crunches hurt. I have a total gym I use from home. Any idea would be helpful.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Since you've actually had an injury, can you get a referral to a physical therapist to recommend exercises? That would be the best and safest route, if it's possible.

Next best would be to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions who has good credentials and experience with injury rehabilitation training.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. And if you have lower back pack, I can't imagine sit ups or crunches being good for it. That motion is fairly strenous on the lower back muscles if you have poor core strength. Things to start with would be bird dogs. Those activate the core but still provide stability. Regardless, I'd get with a qualified personal trainer who can help you create a routine that won't aggravate the injury. Yoga and pilates are also wonderful for the core because they challenge balance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    What they said...also situps and crunches in general...and especially situps are about the worst exercises anyone can do regardless of injury or not. They're very hard on the lower back. The only people who should be doing situps are those people that have to do them to pass some kind of PT test for the military or police or whatever.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    So many exercises strengthen the core.
    My favourite, especially when my low back pain is activated, is plank. There are so many variations. No jumping or quick movements, just static plank.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Check out this MFP blog article on core exercises. 'Your Quick and Easy 1-Week Core Workout Guide' - https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?p=48141