Kevin’s Paleo Chicken Meals-measuring

Options
I have been incorporating Kevin’s meals in my daily diet. For those who eat it, how are you calculating calories? The packages are each serving is 5oz. Calories per serving range depending one which one but for this purpose let’s say 160 calories. The serving per package is 3 so the entire package should be 15oz and 480 calories. I have been making it for several weeks and will use a food scale to measure. I have never had it get to 15oz for the entire package. It usually ranges from 10.3-11.6 oz. So, my question is would you go with the food scale measure which would put the calories at 329.6-371.2 or would you up the oz in the app to get to the 480 calories that is on the package?

Replies

• BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Those meals have quite a bit of sauce, right? Are you scooping all the sauce into the scale as well, because that will make a difference.

Also, packaged food usually has a discrepancy between the listed portion and the actual portion. You'll find this with many food items. I'd log the amount on the package because if you log everything else you eat according to the package then the discrepancies usually equal out. For example, you might find a box of cereal claims to hold 6 cups but in reality it holds 6.5. And you might find a package of turkey meat to claim to be 16 oz but it's actually 15oz. The overs and unders will likely even out in the end.

But, if you weigh everything you eat, then go by the weighed amount.
  • Michigan294
    Michigan294 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Those meals have quite a bit of sauce, right? Are you scooping all the sauce into the scale as well, because that will make a difference.

Also, packaged food usually has a discrepancy between the listed portion and the actual portion. You'll find this with many food items. I'd log the amount on the package because if you log everything else you eat according to the package then the discrepancies usually equal out. For example, you might find a box of cereal claims to hold 6 cups but in reality it holds 6.5. And you might find a package of turkey meat to claim to be 16 oz but it's actually 15oz. The overs and unders will likely even out in the end.

But, if you weigh everything you eat, then go by the weighed amount.

Yes they do have sauce packets with it and I weigh it with the sauce and all. I weigh everything I eat except almond milk I will use measuring cups. So sounds like going with weight might be the way to go