Hormonal fat

Options
Hi I’m 53 and 5ft 2 I weigh 8.3 stone I exercise 4-5 days a week walking light weights and light stretches for about 45 mins. I eat healthy during week but at the weekend I tend to eat what I want. My question is since I hit 40 no matter what I do I cannot shift hormonal belly fat, any ideas would be really appreciated and if anyone has successfully managed. I also have an under active thyroid which is being managed and will be going on HRT . I was on HRT but it made me gain 5lb which I’ve now lost. I just cannot tone up my belly.
Thank you

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Aloha199 wrote: »
    Hi I’m 53 and 5ft 2 I weigh 8.3 stone I exercise 4-5 days a week walking light weights and light stretches for about 45 mins. I eat healthy during week but at the weekend I tend to eat what I want. My question is since I hit 40 no matter what I do I cannot shift hormonal belly fat, any ideas would be really appreciated and if anyone has successfully managed. I also have an under active thyroid which is being managed and will be going on HRT . I was on HRT but it made me gain 5lb which I’ve now lost. I just cannot tone up my belly.
    Thank you

That's because it doesn't really work that way. There's nothing you can do besides going on HRT that may "shift" your belly fat. And even HRT is unlikely to make much difference because it's such small doses. Your body puts fat where it wants. If you try to "tone", that's fine, but you'll only end up adding a layer of muscle under the fat. You just have to decrease body fat overall.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You say you eat healthy, but do you actually know how many calories you are eating? You need to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Light weights, walking, and stretching isn't really burning any real significant calories. It is calories that matter. Exercise is good for your overall health, but you have to eat less to lose weight.

The best way to get an accurate count of calories is to get a food scale and weigh everything you can, and measure liquids by teaspoons, cups, etc.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    8 stone 3? Isn't that 116 pounds? Not sure why you gave us your weight in stones and your height in feet and inches? At 5'2" that would mean your BMI is 21.

It's not easy for anyone to lose when they're already mid-point in their BMI "healthy" range.

Eat less, move more, even though I don't think you need to lose any weight, it's probably more about a bit of recomp. "Belly fat" is usually just a matter of physiology/genetics/being female and doing some more intensive core work.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    8 stone 3? Isn't that 116 pounds? Not sure why you gave us your weight in stones and your height in feet and inches?

I think that's typical practice in Britain (weight in stones, height in feet and inches).

• 3948JackKrossoo
    3948JackKrossoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think pilates is really great to tone and stretch specific areas of your stomach/abdomen. Try a couple YouTube videos till you find one that you can feel working out the area you want to tone.
  • Aloha199
    Aloha199 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you that’s a great idea