Gyms v home

Options
Im really thinking about joining a gym but i dont want to go alone.
But were would i see best results from home or the gym.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth, I loveeee going to the gym alone!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership, to be honest, so I HAD to make home work. I found a cheap boot camp class which meets 3-4 days a week. It's very vigorous and works muscles nice and hard. I walk or jog on the days there's no boot camp. Seriously, I lost all of my weight just by walking. If you're looking to tighten up, though, you'll want to do more than cardio. So find other ways. The competition's not just between home and the gym. Good luck!
  • Lseremeta
    Lseremeta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before you join a gym I would strongly suggest buying a workout dvd ( I Love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred) and if you keep it up and really feel committed then join a gym or buy a few different dvds. I have lots of friends that joined gyms and went for the first few months and then quit.
  • pinguwings
    Options
    You'll see best results from regularly doing exercise that you enjoy. Doesn't matter about the location, I tend to do a bit of both.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You'll get the best results doing something you enjoy doing and will do regularly.

Going TO the gym usually means that I will dedicate a full hour to an hour and a half exercising that day, since it takes me at least 20 minutes just to get there, so I don't want do spend more time driving to and from than I do exercising. But sometimes knowing that it's going to take about two hours out of my day means I don't want to bother going. I try to go at least twice a week.

I don't have room for weights or machines at home... but I can go out the door and run. Or do EA Sports Active 2 with a couple of 5# dumbbells.

Edited to add:

At first, I didn't want to go to the gym alone. And depending on what you're doing, having someone beside you is nice. But overall, I'd rather get absorbed into the music or what's on tv, and use it as some quality me-time.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I suppose it depends on who you are and how you respond. I find it almost impossible to work out at home because I see things that need to be done and become distracted, I also don't push myself as hard. When I go to the gym I am on a mission, plus I push myself much harder being I want to be a bad *kitten* and all. I have no distractions, I prefer to go on my own because I don't feel that I have to entertain anyone and it gives me time to myself. So what gives better results??? Baby that all depends on you.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my welght with at home workouts...Haven't step foot in a gym. We have bought a treadmill, dvds, and hubs have a weight lifting thing..but we decided in the long run its more convient for us to do it here. (we have 3 young boys).
  • Vaus2000
    Vaus2000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer a free trial period, see if you like it. You will definately not be working out alone, some gyms have great group fitness classes that are very motivating. There are pros and cons to both, but choose the one you will stick to and just do it.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If it's within your budget, I do recommend getting a gym membership. Most gyms offer tons of classes, some have swimming pools, and a lot of them offer a free personal training session or two if you're a brand new member. Also, knowing that you paid for a membership is motivation enough to get you there! The gym is also an opportunity to try new things; if you've always wanted to do Zumba or a spinning class, you can just show up to those classes and give it a try!

And if you're worried about going alone, most gyms have a 5-10 day free trial. You could sign up for that with a friend, and if they wind up not liking it but you do, at least you'll be comfortable enough there to then continue on with your own membership!

I do a fair mix of working out at the gym, yoga studio, and at quite a lot at home (I have a treadmill and some weight sets). I never get bored that way.
  • cathy6566
    cathy6566 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've gone to gyms for years, and byself is really the best way to go. Now, after years of expensive memeberships. I started making payments on my own gym equipment. I do enjoy it much better, cause I can do my exercises in between doing my laundary, or while my floors are drying after mopping, its more of a convenience.
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I've joined the gym twice in my life and not lost weight neither of those times. I didn't know what I was doing back than and wasn't' eating well either. Completely my fault as I didn't have a clear plan on how to become fitter but just wanted to start somewhere. Gave up soon after.

I got my act together last year, motivation was high and had a better idea on how to tackle it and took baby steps to achieve it. I spent most of my time jogging and cycing outside and lost a lot more weight than I ever had at the gym. I guess it depends on your state of mind? If you really want to become fitter, you can do this with or without the gym.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym means getting out the door, across town, changed...
    At home all I have to do is grab my weights, or get out the door to run.
    It's easier to motivate myself to exercise at home.
  • techymum
    Options
    I was terrified to go to the gym for the first time. But just like everything else we are learning, the anticipation is the worst part.

I am lucky that in my area I have a community centre gym. When I visited it, I felt a bit more comfortable as it was filled with people similar to me. It is also less crowded than the chain gyms we have.

There are so many different classes included in the membership, I'm having a hard time fitting everything in!

Good luck, all I can add is in my case even though I have wii games and a treadmill at home, I"m glad I joined.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time or money for a gym. I usually workout early in the morning, either running or a dvd. I have some small weights but other than that I haven't bought anything. This has worked for me. I've lost all the weight I need and have been maintaining now for 3 months.
  • stfutexas
    stfutexas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me,

Home=Too many Distractions
    Gym=Only thing to do is excercise

So gym!