Mom & Dad Issues, anyone else have them?

Options
I thought I would post on this issue because I have been bothered by the fact that my Dad still does not have an interest in having a relationship with me ever since he divorced my Mom and that was like 35 years ago!

My Mom has major issues and bad mouths me to her friends and then calls my friends and my mother-in-law too!

I have even wrote songs about it, I have a therapist and other friends who love me....

Don't feel sorry for myself (I don't think), I am just sad at times still because they are getting older and I am realizing that they may pass and we never had a chance to resolve these issues.

I am so used to not having them, that I have a hard time connecting to any feelings but I know when they go, I will be overwhelmed.

Anyway....the feelings have led me to the food in the past and that is old news, thank God.

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have Dad issues...mostly since my dad was an absentee father while I was growing up. He was merely the provider for the family and was never emotionally involved. And when he was involved, he was only involved in ridicule. He treats my younger sister like she's the most amazing person ever and treats me like I was adopted or not wanted. I have a lot of insecurities due to the way I was treated growing up.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    I think the better question is ." Who doesn't have them?" Issues with parents that is!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my mother because she is delusional and has a touch of munchausen-like behaviour. She loves it if any of us are ill and she can have control over us. Did I mention she was controlling and manipulative too? I'm getting better at dealing with her now, better at recognising that her issues don't have to be mine too. I could go on, but it would be boring and depressing :P
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can tell you to do is to just call them one day. Say everything you need to say - everything you would regret not telling them if they died tomorrow. Resolve things as best as you can, then move on. Find foster parents who can fill that hole for you (a friend's mom, an older coworker, etc).

Make one last phone call to each of them. Say all the things you need to say. Then move on without them. You can't make someone love you or want you in their life. It sucks when it's a parent, but it happens. Just make sure that you get things off your chest so that you're not stuck with a lifetime of "I wish I had told them ..."

Maybe they'll come around as they get older, but don't hold your breath.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    CoachNYLA, I am sorry to hear this, and sorry that it makes you sad.

My mother was very much like this from what I understand from the short bit you said. She was bitter and vengeful. At the time it was hard for me to accept but now that she has passed on, I have been able to think about it more rationally. She had a very hard life herself. I don't think she experienced love in her own life and her relationship with my father was also just another relationship disaster for her. I feel sure now, that she had no concept of the term "love", and consequently had no capacity or knowledge of how to give it. In that way, I feel sad for her.

If you don't mind some suggestions I will share what helped me. Although my mother seemed seriously screwed up, she must have done something right ... I don't think I am too bad:wink: ... so I am thankful to her for that.
    I also tried not to make my mother's issues, my issues. I tried not to wear the things she spoke into my life and tried to see her and her bitterness as her baggage.

Its just sad, but true. You don't pick your parents, but I can make my own choices about what I want to be - and can draw on my mother as an example of things about her that I DO want to take on in my own life (not much) and things that I DON'T want to become (much more). If I think about it that way, then, in her own way she has done what a mother should and has helped me to become the person that I am. All each of us can do is work with what we have to be the best that we can.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I haven't spoken to my dad in 6 years (again). I won't allow him to smoke in my house because one of my son's is pre-asthmatic and it's just plain nasty as hell. My mom is a smoker and she steps out on the porch. My dad was offended and now won't speak to me because I didn't make accommodations for his bad habit. He's also an alcoholic and I've been clean/sober for almost 8 years, so there's a definite rift there. The last time we really spoke where he was nice, he let me stay on his couch when I was homeless and getting myself clean. I was took some vacation time to get myself together & find an apartment. I woke up one morning to a sticky note on my glasses that said "You've been here two weeks. Don't you think that's long enough -Bobby". Needless to say, that's how our relationship is when it's 'good'. My mom on the other hand lives here with me to help me take care of my kids. She undermines my authority with my children and isn't helping my possibly ADHD son to stay in a consistent rule basis. She works at a local store and won't buy herself anything from there. She either takes mine or asks me to go by the store where she works and buy it for her. She gets a discount for crap's sake. I've been overweight all my life because I grew up in a household with her and my stepdad. He was a raging abusive alcoholic and she spent so much time trying to baby him, that I was ignored. Often no one knew where I was and never particularly cared as long as I wasn't needing anything from them. My mother has been nothing but sabotage on my healthy eating and workout plan. I put my kids to bed at 8pm, but have to wait an hour until 9pm when she leaves for work to do my workout or she will purposefully need to run the can opener, dishwasher and trashcompactor at the same time just to distract me. Or need to ask me a million questions and have me find things for her so I have to end up starting my workout over because I get lost in the combinations. She hasn't once told me anything about how good I'm doing, how hard I'm working or how much better I look. I've lost 73 lbs. - it is obvious.

I came to a realization a very long time ago that I'm just fine on my own. My kudos come from people that love me. They come from my co-workers, my friends, my MFP family and my clean/sober 12-step group. For now, that's enough for me.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yup!
    My brother is autistic, and likes to beat me up. So of course this is my fault, I called my mum after he stabbed me and she told me to grow up and stop being a rude ***** to everyone then. (not asking or giving a damn if i was ok or not), she calls me names all the time and cos I am losing weight she called me bulimic? :S WTF?! she thinks she knows everything about healthy foods and complains she is not losing anything with her replacement shake for brekkie and then maccas or kfc 3 other times a day.
    oh yeah, and about a month ago she found me passed out on my floor after taking 150 antidepressants/sleeping tablets and she just left me... although at the time i really wanted to die is not the point, what should a mother do?
  • MaryK71
    Options
    I have issues with my mom especially. I realize both my mom and dad are who they are and at this point in their life they aren't going or willing to change that. Sometimes the best people in your life are not your blood. I have a great friend who I love dearly and my husbands family who am closer to. Realize it's not YOU, it's them and they are missing out on someone great. Live life with no regrets. Good Luck.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I had/have issues with both parents as well. Dad cut out on me early in life. I saw him a few times growing up, but he really had no desire to form a relationship with me either. When I was 16 he apologized to me for not being a good father to me. 4 days later, he was killed. Quickly found out that he had gotten a sweet payoff and was going to keep it all to himself. My mother worked 3 jobs sometimes to raise me. I lived a bit of a rough life because of our poverty. The resentment I felt toward him for not making my life better when he had the means to was insane. So, sometimes you get what you think you want (an apology, "closure") and sometimes it's not enough. Sometimes people die before you get to make amends. The question is, "What are you going to do about it?"

I've come to accept that my father couldn't help who he was. He was a conman. He was abused by his father as a child. His distance from me was more than likely the only way he knew how not to pass on that abuse to me. I've tried to piece together things that I could like and admire about him. I have some of the same qualities. He was eccentric and creative, charismatic. This vision of him makes it so I can live my life without wondering what could have been if he hadn't been such a fck-up.

I'm handling my mother the same way now. I used to fight it and get angry at her for not wanting to work on things with me. But then I realized - this is *her* issue, not mine. All I can do is deal with the reality of her. She behaves in ways that are destructive to herself and to our relationship. But I can't make her be who I want her to be. So I take the good and enjoy what I can. I don't participate in her negativity anymore. Just a "love you mom" and a kiss when she tries to go there.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think the better question is ." Who doesn't have them?" Issues with parents that is!
    I don't. My parents were high school sweethearts and I was born the same year my mom graduated high school. They've been married 39 years and I've never seen them fight. I recently asked my dad how he does it (I'm divorced after 10 years) and he said, "son...you're mother isn't effing drama. That makes it easy."Lol he makes me laugh...

I think he was suggesting that my ex WAS drama. Ha!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I don't. My parents were high school sweethearts and I was born the same year my mom graduated high school. They've been married 39 years and I've never seen them fight. I recently asked my dad how he does it (I'm divorced after 10 years) and he said, "son...you're mother isn't effing drama. That makes it easy."Lol he makes me laugh...

I think he was suggesting that my ex WAS drama. Ha!
    I'm with you. The ONLY issue I've got with my parents is why they didn't tell me how much they hated my ex b efore the whole "I do" thing.

They're some of the best people I know. And I realize that fact makes me one of the luckiest people I know.
  • sal0118
    Options
    I have to agree with SallieBeige.

My parents divorced when I was young. We lived about 6 hours driving time from my dad and his new family. I believe my brother and I always wondered if he truly loved us. We did anything he asked of us because we were afraid that he was not going to love us. This has carried on in our adult years.

I was going to say that it seems like when we hit our forties we do look back on our life's. It dawned on me that my relationship with him was all on his terms. I was upset to see that basically I allowed him to control me. I was very unhappy realizing that he was not giving as much as I was into the relationship. I saw him give more with my half sister and my step sister. It was very painful. I knew I had to do something about it.

Through conversations of trying to get him more actively involved with my kids the past ten years. Inviting them to everything my kids were involved in. They never came up even in their early sixties. I realized my father is happy with the relationship as long as it is in his terms. As long as he is telling me he wants to see us and we come to his house. I also realized that he and my stepmother have chosen a very sedentary lifestyle. So that when we come you just sit. I felt like they've made choices in their lives and perhaps it was my time was my time to accept it.

I took back the control by letting him know when we our available to come and visit them. I have been much happier in that I am not carrying this underlying anger and resentment knowing he did more for his second family than he did for my brother and I, and I was doing the majority of the relationship. I am also glad that I came to these terms because it was so emotionally draining.

Good luck!
  • jessashcher
    Options
    Please Beautyfrompain, don't try that again, I did that about 10 years ago and woke up in the hospital 2 days later with tubes down my throat and my husband and children sitting next to my bed. Looking back on that now, I am so very thankful to God for not taking me on that day. Life does get better when you start to love yourself. I grew up in a family of alcoholics, my dad drank all the time and catered to my younger brother, mom was the type of person that just said listen to your father. Today because I stand my ground on how I want to live my life and not what others expect me to do, I am a much happier person. We can't change our parents but we can change the way we react to situations. I am very thankful you are still here to today, your post has helped me and I am sure it will help others also. God loves you, keep smiling.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    i prefer my women with daddy issues. ;) jk
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my Dad. He died very suddenly on October 4 of last year.

Yeah....I have big issues with that.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I have dad isssues! My dad left my mum when she was 4 months pregnant with me, he piss3d off with some other woman, married her and got her pregnant 3 times! And now there a happy little family! So ive got 3 step brothers/sisters that i have never met and i probably wont ever meet them! They dont even know of me! My dads mum (my nan) i get on with her okay, i ring her and keep in touch and stuff but she never mentions anything about him. I ask about him and all that, and she replies with 'oh i dont ave anything to do with him' ...im sorry but what a load of bull****e! She most definatley has something to do with him and his 3 other kids!! .. it upsets me think about it soo i try not too and keep my mind off it and all that, but at the end of the day, its his loss not mine!
  • danapounce
    Options
    My real dad was killed seven weeks after I was born so never got the chance to know him, but when I was about 2 my mum got a new partner who's been the best dad I could ever ask for. I'm now twenty, and unfortunately they split up last year but I love them both and they both love me. I've had issues about my real dad dying and the events surrounding his death but I've learned not to let it bother me.