Long covid and fitness/nutrition

Options
Hi everyone,
I had covid in 2021 - I had it really really badly and was hit with long covid, which was debilitating for the first 2-3 months, and then quite bad for about 5-6 months. Since then, I've gradually got better in most ways - ie gone back to work, and can walk around and do most things normally - I have gone back to swimming, some yoga and got back into strength training, but any cardio/HIIT or similar workouts still make my heart go into palpitations and I need to sit down for a bit, and wait for my heart to go back to normal before going back to it. Its now been almost 2 years, and its still the case.
Needless to say, my weight has increased, as I've found this quite hard, quite depressing - especially when I thought I may never go back to how I was before - and I've been comfort eating alot and also eaten when I've not been able to do much else.
I'm trying to get back on track, and trying to be more disciplined with what I eat now - but it is hard!!
Guess i'm wondering if anyone has had the same, or has any words of advice or solidarity for me?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    All I can think of .. is the line i've heard so many people on here say who have had success.. That weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym. I realize you want to do what you want without feeling drained. How horrible. But, perhaps a super nutritious diet and your more mild exercise together will get the weight off .. and maybe kick that covid for good.
  • mvorih3
    mvorih3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My story it pretty identical. I already had psoriatic arthritis when I got covid, then long covid the covid again - before vaccines were available. Then my body pretty much shut down. I thought the fatigue and exertion intolerance would kill me, not to mention the pain. For a year pretty much all I could eat was cottage cheese, boiled chicken, over cooked carrots and rice. Any fiberous veggies and leafy greens made me sick and would trigger fever, aches chills along with all the digestive problems.
    It’s finally calmed and I can eat a little more normally and do slight exercise like short walks.

I’d love to connect and support each other on this healing journey
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have solidarity to offer at least (I manage cfs/me and recognise much in your story).

My advice: well listen to yourself (!), you have made a lot of progress in regaining some activity, but you know you have been (and still want) comfort eating…and you sound very much on the right track.

On the exercise front - walking has been great for me (and gentle cycling). Walking burns a fair few calories and is great for the mental health - and even if I don’t ‘want’ to walk, my dog does - so at the very least I go outside and sit on a bench, or chat to a fellow dog walker. And see the trees and the horizon…

Eating wise - I take pride in a healthy and varied diet. I was lucky to have a good background here but now I care for my food more purposely - to nourish my body and as it is good for the soul. I see it as an advantage of my health issues that I am happy to prioritise nutritious food, and have developed a much wider range of often quick and easy but good and tasty meals (the BBC food website and books are good). I get a veggie box and buy extra fruit/veg - and have my cupboards and freezer stuffed full of staples so there is always something in the house to prepare - and rarely buy ready mades (except say veggie burgers/pizza bases - things I add to). It might feel more expensive at first - but ready made food and take outs all really add up….

I often cook big and freeze or fridge the leftovers for the second meal on a low key day.

I still eat comfort foods - just in smaller portions (usually!). Portion size is your friend! I mentally calorie count (though to begin with I logged until I got to the stage I am confident in my judgements) when wanting to shift excess weight.

I don’t buy in other comfort foods - eg ‘everyday’ biscuits.

I have developed a few rules that help me. Eg no cheese sandwich except at weekend, no regular chocolate biscuits except at Dad’s house (it is painful to see his illness - advanced dementia). Only buy posh ones that I know not to guzzle as they cost too much - and use them for puddings when that fits my calorie goals. Fish once a week minimum, veggie main once a week minimum. Etc etc.

The ‘rules’ stop me from arguing with myself. Therapy and reading about cfs/me and pacing/recovery has helped me accept my situation

And I only ever put in gentle calorie reductions - have never aimed at losing more than 1/2 lb a week, and accept maintenance days as a success given the stress/strain/unpredictability of managing an illness. Today I thought I was off to the pool - I ended up spending from 4pm onwards
    lying down…

I hope these ideas help. Good luck…