Saturated fat

Options
I have started actively trying to lose weight January 2023 with Weight Watchers. I lost 30 pounds but plateaued and found that Weight Watchers promotes as much processed food as possible (fat free cheese, processed bread, etc.). I have shifted starting this month June 2023 to calorie counting. I have been switching from the processed foods to real food (whole grain bread, real cheese, etc.). I have lost 9 pounds since switching and I feel much better. I mainly eat ground turkey, basmati rice, cottage cheese, chicken. My question is on saturated fats. I have been finding recipes on MyFitnessPal and I really like Thai curry. When I log the recipes or food it will show that it is high in saturated fat due to the coconut. I never paid attention to saturated fat before so I am trying to learn from MyFitnessPal that I need to regulate how much I have a day.
Does anyone have this issue or what do you substitute when something calls for coconut such as Thai curry that uses coconut milk?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I have started actively trying to lose weight January 2023 with Weight Watchers. I lost 30 pounds but plateaued and found that Weight Watchers promotes as much processed food as possible (fat free cheese, processed bread, etc.). I have shifted starting this month June 2023 to calorie counting. I have been switching from the processed foods to real food (whole grain bread, real cheese, etc.). I have lost 9 pounds since switching and I feel much better. I mainly eat ground turkey, basmati rice, cottage cheese, chicken. My question is on saturated fats. I have been finding recipes on MyFitnessPal and I really like Thai curry. When I log the recipes or food it will show that it is high in saturated fat due to the coconut. I never paid attention to saturated fat before so I am trying to learn from MyFitnessPal that I need to regulate how much I have a day.
    Does anyone have this issue or what do you substitute when something calls for coconut such as Thai curry that uses coconut milk?

You could substitute yogurt, but honestly, I just bite the bullet and use real coconut milk. I add a can of diced tomatoes, which stretches it out a bit so there's less saturated fat per serving. I also add plenty of other veggies like broccoli or bell peppers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Some authorities suggest saturated fat because it increases LDL cholesterol and higher cholesterol is associated with an increase in heart related events should be reduced in our diet where it represents less than 6% of total calories. Personally I don't agree with that assertion and needs a more nuanced conversation and don't have a problem with consuming the natural saturated fat in my diet which is pretty much from whole foods, and coconut milk would fall into that category. Cheers
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not something I personally would be concerned about.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190128105230.htm
  • Michigan294
    Michigan294 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some authorities suggest saturated fat because it increases LDL cholesterol and higher cholesterol is associated with an increase in heart related events should be reduced in our diet where it represents less than 6% of total calories. Personally I don't agree with that assertion and needs a more nuanced conversation and don't have a problem with consuming the natural saturated fat in my diet which is pretty much from whole foods, and coconut milk would fall into that category. Cheers
    Thank you, do you have an amount that you monitor or as long as it is natural from whole foods do you not worry about it?

• Michigan294
    Michigan294 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's not something I personally would be concerned about.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190128105230.htm

Oh wow thank you, this makes me feel better that choosing the whole foods is the way to go despite saturated fats

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,726 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I don't agree with the " saturated fat is healthy". I choose to not play with conflicting theory and science. So i go with better options. I would use cashew milk, almond geeek yogurt or at very least Harmless harvest unsweetened coconut yogurt because it had less fat and calories
    yf7kazczz740.jpg
    I use this some but not much. I aim to keep sat fat grams minimal to none
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thank you, do you have an amount that you monitor or as long as it is natural from whole foods do you not worry about it?

No I don't worry at all and I know my health status, which is good. It's basically the inflammatory machinery that is activated from the addition of visceral fat from overconsumption, and for the vast majority of people the foods that generates overeating and hijack our hunger hormones are the very palatable ultra processed foods, which for the most part are refined carbohydrates, sugar, seed oil, and salt, remove them and remove the visceral fat from weight loss and inflammation is reduced and so is a persons risk, greatly, and if maintained it's unlikely that disease risk rises much at all over a lifetime. Well, eventually it's more than likely some disease will eventually find their way in but hopefully eating like this extends our health span and we can get a bunch or more healthy years and the ones at the end are precious. Cheers
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    For Thai curry, there really is no substitution for the coconut milk. It’s what makes the dish! Anything else would change the flavor profile quite a bit. Not bad, but not the same. (Note: “lite” coconut milk is not really much better nutrition-wise.)

It’s not like you’re going to make it every single day. It sounds like you’re doing this right and trying new recipes and sticking with your plans… I’d make the curry and enjoy it.
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Most of the saturated fat in the food supply that is the "Standard American Diet" comes from plants and not animals but for some reason a lot of people think saturated fat only comes from consuming animal products. Animal fat consumption has been trending slightly down since 1970. The USDA have been telling people for 40 years not to eat beef mostly, because of the saturated fat, and they did. Cheers

2lxzjb7t6yf1.png
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    For Thai curry, there really is no substitution for the coconut milk. It’s what makes the dish! Anything else would change the flavor profile quite a bit. Not bad, but not the same. (Note: “lite” coconut milk is not really much better nutrition-wise.)

It’s not like you’re going to make it every single day. It sounds like you’re doing this right and trying new recipes and sticking with your plans… I’d make the curry and enjoy it.

I made an Indian Curry gravy as part of a entree for the restaurant today and used coconut milk but hopefully my customers can forgive me. J/K Cheers
  • neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I don't agree with the " saturated fat is healthy". I choose to not play with conflicting theory and science. So i go with better options. I would use cashew milk, almond geeek yogurt or at very least Harmless harvest unsweetened coconut yogurt because it had less fat and calories
    yf7kazczz740.jpg
    I use this some but not much. I aim to keep sat fat grams minimal to none

I thought I would let you know that any plant that has any fat in it regardless of the amount, will always have a combination of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, so getting none would be futile, your going to be consuming saturated fat whether you want to or not, and you can thank nature that you are because nature didn't put saturated fat in all plants and animals for no reason at all. Basically don't believe everything your told or read, or watched, I know you love your documentaries. Cheers
  • Rockmama1111
    Options
    I made an Indian Curry gravy as part of a entree for the restaurant today and used coconut milk but hopefully my customers can forgive me. J/K Cheers

Do you mind sharing what other ingredients you used? I’ve just started experimenting with Indian curries and have only done variations on tikka masala.

To keep my comment relevant to the thread, a tip: riced cauliflower goes very well as a base for saucy Asian and Indian dishes and saves a lot of calories. A very painless substitution!

• neanderthin
    edited June 2023
    Options

Do you mind sharing what other ingredients you used? I’ve just started experimenting with Indian curries and have only done variations on tikka masala.

To keep my comment relevant to the thread, a tip: riced cauliflower goes very well as a base for saucy Asian and Indian dishes and saves a lot of calories. A very painless substitution!

Sure. This is a fish entree and use halibut and cut into 6oz servings and I make a saffron sticky rice (sushi rice) that I season traditionally and the veg generally changes depending on availability, lately it's been asparagus (season just finished) and local oyster and shiitake mushrooms. cheers.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options

Sure. This is a fish entree and use halibut and cut into 6oz servings and I make a saffron sticky rice (sushi rice) that I season traditionally and the veg generally changes depending on availability, lately it's been asparagus (season just finished) and local oyster and shiitake mushrooms. cheers.

That sounds amazing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Another vote for actual coconut milk. Gosh, I love the flavor profile of Thai food so much. It's like a party in my mouth.

I always assumed “lite” coconut milk just had extra water, and since it costs the same, never bought it.

To reduce calories for my Tom Ka Gai recipe, I replace a little of the coconut milk with homemade chicken stock.
  • Rockmama1111
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To reduce calories for my Tom Ka Gai recipe, I replace a little of the coconut milk with homemade chicken stock.

I’ve been wanting to make this! (And now I might order it for dinner from the Thai place across the street.) If you have a recipe or link to a recipe, I’d love to try it. Chicken broth is smart.

I just remembered something. I ordered a meal kit delivery months ago, and it had a Thai-style meal (sort of like Tom Ka) that came with coconut milk POWDER. The soup was very good. I just looked it up on Amazon, and it does have less saturated fat. (Now that I’ve stated publicly that there is no substitute.) I think I’ll buy some and see what I can do with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, even though there is some adverse potential with SFA, i would worry about making your weight loss journey sustainable and enjoyable. Once you get lean, if your LDL is high, then you can adjust SFA intake. But exercise and weight loss will have larger impacts on metabolic health compared to the foods you eat.

I will never track SFA. I am more focused on whole foods and exercise. With this method, i have seen the best metabolic markers since high school. I will note that i eat oats like 4-5 days a week.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, even though there is some adverse potential with SFA, i would worry about making your weight loss journey sustainable and enjoyable. Once you get lean, if your LDL is high, then you can adjust SFA intake. But exercise and weight loss will have larger impacts on metabolic health compared to the foods you eat.

This! If you keep cutting foods you enjoy, well, where’s the “joy” in that?

I’ve never once looked at my daily saturated fat. I’m confident it’s a darn sight better than it was before- as is everything else!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I’ve been wanting to make this! (And now I might order it for dinner from the Thai place across the street.) If you have a recipe or link to a recipe, I’d love to try it. Chicken broth is smart.

I just remembered something. I ordered a meal kit delivery months ago, and it had a Thai-style meal (sort of like Tom Ka) that came with coconut milk POWDER. The soup was very good. I just looked it up on Amazon, and it does have less saturated fat. (Now that I’ve stated publicly that there is no substitute.) I think I’ll buy some and see what I can do with it.

It's from the 2006 Joy of Cooking, page 135. Here's a link: https://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_31/2010/MAR/52437.html

I remembered it a little wrong - I don't replace some coconut milk with chicken stock, as the recipe already calls for stock. What I do is instead of the 2 2/3 C coconut milk it calls for, I use one can, which is around 15 oz.

If I have lemongrass in my freezer (and I usually do, as my supermarket with the large produce selection carries this) I add some with the ginger. I also add two cloves of garlic with the ginger.

The 2 T lime juice is crucial for balance and flavor.

My very authentic Thai cookbook has no stock and does include kaffir limes leaves and galangal, which my supermarket does not carry. But the JOC recipe works great for me.

I do love other recipes from: Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine Lemon Grass Cookbook

Note: the portions are a little small for us, even after I double the meat to bring it closer to America portions of meat. We'll get two me and one him servings out of a supposed four person recipe.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    . We'll get two me and one him servings out of a supposed four person recipe.

Wow! So I’m not the only one (female)?! What a relief!

Sometimes I feel so gluttonous compared to the male half!