Mid Day Crash

Options
Hello Everyone, I am a 22 year old female. For the last year or maybe more I have been dealing with being super fatigue around mid day. I’ve been to the doctors and nothing has came about it. Does anyone have any tips to help with these crashes?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am a 22 year old female. For the last year or maybe more I have been dealing with being super fatigue around mid day. I’ve been to the doctors and nothing has came about it. Does anyone have any tips to help with these crashes?

It's called the 3:00 slump. The vast majority of people, particularly people who work a day job, experience it. Did you just get out of college and into a job? If so, that's most likely a big contributor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

It's called the 3:00 slump. The vast majority of people, particularly people who work a day job, experience it. Did you just get out of college and into a job? If so, that's most likely a big contributor.

This^^^

A couple of things I generally find helpful are going for a good walk during my lunch hour and not eating an overly large lunch.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,076 Member
    Options
    Also experiment with what you eat for breakfast. A higher protein lower carb breakfast may or may not help.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is fairly common. Most of my co-workers, regardless of age, hit a wall in mid afternoon. Personally, I go for a walk around 2 or 3pm. Some of us go to the gym for 30 minutes or run some errands just to break up the day. We all drink caffeine, and a lot of it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,264 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Also experiment with what you eat for breakfast. A higher protein lower carb breakfast may or may not help.

For my boyfriend, that's it.
    He feels way better eating a boiled egg, half an avocado and some yogurt in the morning instead of the cereal and yogurt he was used to: no more end of morning slump for him.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    In addition to ideas above, and at the risk of being obvious, how's your sleep quality/quantity? Maybe there are some ways to improve there, and it might make a bigger difference if you've had a recent change in lifestyle, like changing jobs, or school to job, or something like that. You may need more/better sleep.

But yeah: Experiment with what you eat for breakfast. I don't demonize carbs in general, but a lot of people eat a mostly-carbs mostly processed foods breakfast. If that's you, try moving toward more protein, more whole foods, higher fiber. Do that for a few days, see if the situation improves.

What you eat for lunch may also matter, if the slump is after lunch.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,772 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Height, weight and average daily calories? How much do you exercise? Are you eating back at least some of your exercise calories.

For me, a mid day slump is a hard slap upside the head that I am under-eating.

When I get nappy, my tummy needs to be happy, so to speak.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I found adding more complex carbs to my lunch really helped. It was already pretty high in protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The afternoon sleepies (and munchies) stopped happening to me when I switched to higher protein breakfasts and lunches (and not overly large lunches) AND went for a walk or was otherwise active at lunch time. That lunch time exercise boosted my productivity through the afternoon and into the evening.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Coffee……