scarlett_k 1 vote
2 Warmed
0%
3 Tanned
16%
MaggieGirl135nossmfphilandtoricandywolf1lyonore44 5 votes
4 Bronzed
32%
WynterbourneMelwillbehealthytamisteffensbgreening72bobsburgersfanchristinah198sollyn23l2minstrelofsarcasmcarolinepowell885lkjdendy 10 votes
5 Blistered
16%
nicholethompson24PeachHibiscusdurdenherblovinmombleuchez 5 votes
6 Burnt
6%
debhammond21beckywhite000206 2 votes
Marshmallows are just nasty
25%
Scubagirl713cwolfman13ccrdragonCreamtea42claireychn074springlering62DFW_TomSafariGalNYC 8 votes

Replies

• carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    4 Bronzed
    In college we used to do peep jousting. You'd take two peeps and put one toothpick into each peep to look like lances. Then you'd put them on opposite sides of the microwave and heat them until one peep skewered the other. The person with the losing peep would have to eat both. Honestly it was pretty gross. Roasting regular marshmallows over a campfire is way better!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    3 Tanned
    We cook them until “tanned”, remove them from the stick, and then insert one small rectangle from a Hershey’s chocolate bar. My husband can’t have gluten and GF graham crackers are nasty. We’ve tried this and it works great!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never liked them, even when I was a kid. They're just gross. We do a lot of camping during the summer and my youngest likes them, my oldest doesn't like them at all. I'd say my youngest likes them bronzed.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    3 Tanned
    Grew up hating marshmallows, but became quite skilled at roasting to the perfect tan 9 times out of 10. So much so that I became the designated toaster for my mother and sister, lol.

Fast forward to being an adult, and I don't know when it happened, but now I enjoy marshmallows. Not enough to simply eat one by itself, but as part of a s'more or loaded into my sweet potato casserole, amen.

My kids love s'mores, but we can't roast year round. When the weather isn't conducive, we sometimes do microwave s'mores, placing the marshmallow on the graham cracker and nuking for 8 seconds, pulling out and adding the chocolate and second graham cracker. The outside of the marshmallow doesn't get toasted or color changed, but it softens and gets gooey, which makes my kids happy.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,475 Member
    Options
    Meh. Not a fan.

The one sweet you could leave a huge bowl of, and I wouldn’t touch them.

I always felt bad. I had a friend who would bust her *kitten* to make a bag of marshmallows for me every Christmas. I never had the heart to tell her how much I loathed the things, would swear to try one, and end up throwing them out.

Every year. A new, carefully ribbon tied decorative bag of marshmallows.

Remember Circus Peanuts? Just taupe colored marshmallows. 🤢
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily nasty, but generally not vegetarian (gelatin), so I never eat them. They're too sweet for my tastes anyway (operating from memory on this point).

Oddly enough, while marshmallows aren't vegetarian, Marshmallow Fluff is (ovo-veg, specifically - not fully plant based).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    4 Bronzed
    It should be noted that homemade/fresh-made, not factory marshmallows are a million times better than the bagged marshmallows from the grocery store.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I’m eating a pillow. I don’t get them. Same with candy floss.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not necessarily nasty, but generally not vegetarian (gelatin), so I never eat them. They're too sweet for my tastes anyway (operating from memory on this point).

Oddly enough, while marshmallows aren't vegetarian, Marshmallow Fluff is (ovo-veg, specifically - not fully plant based).

If you live near a Trader Joe’s, their marshmallows are vegan. I am not a fan of marshmallows in general (raw or toasted, although I do love to roast them over a campfire) so I can’t really compare their taste or texture to other gelatin-based brands, but my kids seemed to like them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you live near a Trader Joe’s, their marshmallows are vegan. I am not a fan of marshmallows in general (raw or toasted, although I do love to roast them over a campfire) so I can’t really compare their taste or texture to other gelatin-based brands, but my kids seemed to like them.

I've had some vegan marshmallows. They were OK. Since I'm not a huge sweets fan generally, they're kind of "meh", but not nasty (so I didn't check "nasty" in the poll). For some reason, I find it funny when certain foods aren't veg, like the innocent-looking strawberry jello, or most marshmallows.

They're building a Trader Joe's here. I predict it will be the final blow - after Whole Foods and Costco arriving previously - that will kill my good, local, well-run, employee-owned, good-sized health-food-ish general grocery store that has the nice, helpful staff people. :'(
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like the texture.. I’ve never liked the after taste. We always had marshmallows in the house growing up. … if it had been chocolate — I would have eaten it right away. 😉

I wonder what the vote would be on marshmallow fluff. 🤔
  • Dellagirl5316
    Dellagirl5316 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Level 5 then eat the outer layer stick back in fire and repeat until marshmallow is gone
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    5 Blistered
    Level 5 then eat the outer layer stick back in fire and repeat until marshmallow is gone

I like the way you think!
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    Options
    4 Bronzed
    I love them tanned or bronzed, and nice and melty all the way through. I don't care about smores, but I could sit and eat marshmallow after marshmallow if they're roasted this way. 😂