Alcohol

Options
So I was wondering how much alcohol prevents you from losing fat? Like if you have 2-3 beers a day? Would quitting that (obviously good to do) make weight loss easier?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Yep. 3 beers is in the neighborhood of 400 calories, for bottle beer, pints would be more. Adequate protein and putting some resistance against our muscle mass increases muscle protein synthesis, which helps build muscle and in a deficit will minimally help to maintain our overall lean mass which translates, on a percentage basis, to more fat lose. cheers.
  • bennyg1973
    bennyg1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ive read that alcohol can stop fat burning for 12-36 hours?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

On an individual basis it's not going to be possible to quantify exactly how much difference - if any - it makes over (say) the same calories in actual food, but 2-3 drinks daily is marginally excessive regardless - and especially if they are high alcohol per volume, craft beers/ales or pints. Not only do the calories add up but it leads to poor food choices during and usually after drinking. It just makes it harder.

There is really no downside to stopping drinking or at least limiting it to the recommended guidelines, regardless of weight loss.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,172 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is the primary source of energy when you ingest it - overall it's still about the total amount of calories though.

Found this article about it:
    https://dirt-to-dinner.com/does-alcohol-stop-us-from-burning-fat/

I find alcohol is terrible for my exercise performance, so I limit it as much as possible (I didn't drink much before, once every few weeks, even less now)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you drink while trying to lose fat Vodka is low in calories as long as you mix it with a zero calorie soda.

Regardless, alcohol has calories and no nutritional value and as calories get low it gets to be more problematic plus alcohol is a poison to the body so best just to stay away from it
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    bengerv wrote: »

It will generally stop fat burning until your body uses up the alcohol calories, as your body doesn't have a mechanism to store it, so it will preferentially rely on the alcohol.

In the long run, the effect on fat storage is determined by calories consumed and expended.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Guinness is the exception to the rule, it's a meal lol..Cheers
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options

It will generally stop fat burning until your body uses up the alcohol calories, as your body doesn't have a mechanism to store it, so it will preferentially rely on the alcohol.

In the long run, the effect on fat storage is determined by calories consumed and expended.

Yep, exactly this. Because alcohol is a toxin, your body prioritizes getting it processed and through your system, and minimizes processing anything else until the alcohol is processed.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited June 2023
    Options

Anything you consume will stop fat burning for the most part. Recently consumed calories are burned before fat. We are alway burning a combo of some recent calories and to a lesser extent stored fat however its the newest, unburned calories that go first.

As mentioned above it will always be about calorie balance in the long run
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management and fitness are both way easier when you cut back or cut out alcohol in my experience...actually pretty much everything in life is easier without alcohol. Not to say that bug doesn't get me from time to time though.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    If alcohol fits into your daily calories and you’re getting adequate nutrition from the rest of your calories and it’s that important to you to have 2-3 beers, go for it. But…

What if you didn’t have those beers and lost an extra few pounds a month? Is it still important to you?

What if you could have an ice cream sundae every day instead? Is beer still worth it?

No judgment here. It’s all about choices. Figure out what you want the most. I was an every-day wine drinker. It was habit more than desire for me, and I had to break that habit. I still drink sometimes, just not every day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I consumed some alcohol during weight loss, and somewhat more now in maintenance.

From a weight loss perspective, the calories behave just like any other calories in the big picture - no matter in what order they're burned off, if you're in a true calorie deficit overall, fat is going to be burned sooner or later to make up that deficit.

Health wise, alcohol is strictly speaking a poison (if a subjectively maybe-fun one), and it makes zero positive health or nutrition contribution. When we're eating fewer calories, so it's already a bit harder to fit in optimal nutrition, that may matter extra much.

On top of that, alcohol can:
    * impair our food logging accuracy (so hinder weight loss in that way if calorie counting),
    * lower our impulse control (so we're more likely to fall for tempting high-calorie/low-nutrition treat foods),
    * cause sluggishness later if even mildly over-consumed (so we drag through our day burning fewer calories than we would otherwise),
    * and more.

Generally, alcohol doesn't improve the odds of successful weight loss, and may reduce those odds. Whether to consume some or not will remain an individual decision.
  • bennyg1973
    Options
    Thank you for all your helpful information and comments!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I consumed some alcohol during weight loss, and somewhat more now in maintenance.

From a weight loss perspective, the calories behave just like any other calories in the big picture - no matter in what order they're burned off, if you're in a true calorie deficit overall, fat is going to be burned sooner or later to make up that deficit.

Health wise, alcohol is strictly speaking a poison (if a subjectively maybe-fun one), and it makes zero positive health or nutrition contribution. When we're eating fewer calories, so it's already a bit harder to fit in optimal nutrition, that may matter extra much.

On top of that, alcohol can:
    * impair our food logging accuracy (so hinder weight loss in that way if calorie counting),
    * lower our impulse control (so we're more likely to fall for tempting high-calorie/low-nutrition treat foods),
    * cause sluggishness later if even mildly over-consumed (so we drag through our day burning fewer calories than we would otherwise),
    * and more.

Generally, alcohol doesn't improve the odds of successful weight loss, and may reduce those odds. Whether to consume some or not will remain an individual decision.

All of the bolded was certainly true for me. I now drink just on rare special occasions, out of the house.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    The way i think about it is this; My liver will processes alcohol before anything else.. and that means fat. So.. when I drink I'm aware i am not burning fat. If i do drink while i'm eating.. say at dinner.. wine coctails that kind of thing. I eat low fat.. like shrimp cocktail...because it won't put weight on me. If i was eating fries and burger.. yup.. i'd gain or not lose for sure.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    The way i think about it is this; My liver will processes alcohol before anything else.. and that means fat. So.. when I drink I'm aware i am not burning fat. If i do drink while i'm eating.. say at dinner.. wine coctails that kind of thing. I eat low fat.. like shrimp cocktail...because it won't put weight on me. If i was eating fries and burger.. yup.. i'd gain or not lose for sure.
    you aren’t burning fat regardless of the alcohol. You burn recently ingested food first. Fat is burned when there is no immediate energy available. That can be food or alcohol.

What won’t put weight on you is not taking in more weekly calories than you burn.

• bennyg1973
    Options
    I think IF is a good way to burn fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Anything you consume will stop fat burning for the most part. Recently consumed calories are burned before fat. We are alway burning a combo of some recent calories and to a lesser extent stored fat however its the newest, unburned calories that go first.

As mentioned above it will always be about calorie balance in the long run

Yes, but if you ate pretzels or peanuts or nachos or sliders or whatever constitutes bar food in your neighborhood with all the alcohol, your body is going to preferentially rely on the alcohol for energy as opposed to carbs, fat, and protein you consumed at the same time.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I think IF is a good way to burn fat.

Only if it results in an overall calorie deficit.

Proviso: in this thread when people speak of burning fat, we all seem to be talking about stored fat.