Planning to bust a plateau and have a weight/ goal question

Options
Is 130 pounds really too small for this 5'4" gal? I am working on refocusing my self on the last few pounds to lose. I have been stuck at 142 for the last several months. I took September off because of frustration. I have been working hard. P90x, first ever Half Marathon completion, and faithful calorie counting and still have not moved down on the scale. My goal is health and optimal size and strength or me. I am not here to be skinny. I am getting real tired of hearing I am unrealistic, and un healthy I am or will be at 130. I am more unhealthy right now, because my mind is not right with frustration of failed results in serious hard work put in. In high school, I weighed 115 (my weight at the beginning of my first pregnancy. My heaviest since then was 192 ( I weighed that for 12 yrs). My body is different now and have no desire to weigh less than 125 pounds, because I know that would be gross on me. Can somebody please help me to understand if I am being unrealistic with my goal weight, or if I should just go for it. I didn't do all the work I have done so far to hover around a size 10 pant. I want to be a 6- 8. Or to hover between healthy and unhealthy on the BMI. I have never been skinny in adulthood, and I wanna rock what I got before I get too old to enjoy it? Thanks for any input.

Replies

• dez_yaoichan
    Options
    dont focus on the pounds, it's the inches you should be workiong on now. toning up will get you into a small er size, even if you actually gain a little bit back while doing it
  • yvonmac
    yvonmac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I want to be 125 lbs. again and I am stuck at 135 and I am 5'4.5" and I think it should be attainable. I am cutting out sodium--down to 1000 mg of sodium a day--and trying to eat whole food (no canned or processed) and I exercise a lot. Just wondering how to do it as my body really likes me at 135 and I really would like those last 5 lbs. off.

I am not answering your question and I think our goals are realistic. Now, to stick with it and believe in ourselves. Is that what this is about making sure we aren't doubting our goal?
  • Malani2010
    Options
    I would say go for it!!! Maybe give yourself 5 lbs more so instead of 130 maybe 135. Also you may have been gaining muscle and losing body fat. That's what it sound like to me. I am 5'2 and all of the things say I should weigh 101 to 125. Well that won't work for me lol. After 2 kids 13 months apart so I decided on 140 and that would look good on me and probably put me in a size 10. I haven't been that size since middle school. I said all that to say GO FOR IT, GIRL!!!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dez 100%. You are doing great. Go with how you feel, not what the scale tells you. That scale is the devil. :devil:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I can't get to my goal weight (per charts) either. I'm supposed to get down to 155 but hover at 172, in size 8 jeans.. I am not too skinny by any means. Nor have I stopped my efforts (running 20+ miles a week, faithful calorie counter AND Weight Watcher member). I don't know if it might be unrealistic for some of us to reach goals. I have, for myself, just decided to keep doing everything right for fitness and health. If those last 15 pounds come off, great! If not, it just isn't meant to be. But, I really work on avoiding the frustration level. I do weigh daily, though, because I have no intention of gaining weight and will be probably hyper-vigilant. Anyway, like most advise, the important thing is not to focus on that number so much but on how we feel and how we look and the new health and fitness level we achieve. So, let's keep at it! :wink:
  • Sweet_Southern_Tea
    Options
    You have to focus on a size you are happy with. You gained muscle which is why your weight in pounds have not changed. There is nothing wrong with having a goal weight but don't let your goal weight be your high school weight. I personally feel we as women focus way too much on our high school weight. I don't want to look like I did in high school because I'm an adult. When you start to obsess over pounds you do tend to stray to unrealistic goals. Just focus on inches and toning.
  • docHelen
    Options
    i'm intereseted in all your comments, cos i know i am going to reach the same point really soon! and am wondering where to set my goal. but also i look back over the last few weeks and think this is a great lifestyle, even if the weight stopped coming off i think i would still carry on as it's no real problem, i've got used to smaller portions and i feel fantastic, so what more could i want? i hope it can work for you that way too.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Firstly you've done so well - fantastic results!

Yes I know that its achievable as I'm 5'3" and was around 124 - 132 for most of my young adult years - until I had the children in my early 30's. I then gained lots of weight up to 187 and eventually lost it and got back down to 133 in my 40's. Since then its yo yo all the way!

I think the main thing is that exercise and food type/intake must be realistic and a pattern that is sustainable. Every time I've lost lots of weight my food and exercise choices haven't been and I've gained.

Wishing you every success!
  • Thanks to all who responded. Your words are very encouraging. We will do this, even if we spend the rest of our lives trying. This journey is supposed to be tough, I just didn't realize how tough it was going to be :D
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3' & my goal is 120-125 pre-pregnancy wt.....I can fit now into a pair of 4 capris but if I put on a lb or 2 they are too tight. my 6's are lose but in some brands I'm still an 8...& i don't want to be a size 8!!
    I posted on FB about something & this girl said I was being an over-acheiver or something like that to want to get that small again!! WHY? It's my body & I'll lose or gain as much as I want to!!!
    Do what you feel is right for YOU!!! This is your weight loss plan & your body!!!