first few weeks of loosing weight

Options
Hi all. Wanted to start a thread about the first few weeks of weight loss. I am in my early twenties and am 79kg at the moment and ideally, want to be 72kg. But i'm 2 weeks in to this weight loss journey and despite starting to run and weight train more with a good calorie deficit and lots of fruit/veg, I still gained around 0.5-1kg in the first week. Wondering if anyone else has also seen a weight increase before you loose it!

Replies

• coffeepleese
    coffeepleese Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also saw a gain. Mine was water and muscle. It took the 9th week before I saw a loss of 1lb. Give it time, keep going and best of luck to you! btw....I was 170lbs at my start and I am 5'2"
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    when you start or increase training, your muscles will retail water for protection and to help repair. It is possible to gain several pounds of water weight, which could mask a fat loss of a few pounds.

Don't give up, stick with it and eventually you will retain less water and the fat loss will show on the scale
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this comment.

I was just thinking the same thing, just have to keep on doing something every day. 9 weeks, that is a long time, but I really need to lose at least 20% of my body weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Common to GAIN WEIGHT when you start exercising. Give a few weeks for body to acclimate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!