Post Menopause

Options
Hi, since going through menopause, I have had some serious weight gain. I'm hoping this site will help me drop this weight so I can feel normal again.

Replies

• lazirlott
    lazirlott Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am post menopause as well. I have utilized MyFitnessPal successfully in the past and off/on over the years. I am trying again and would love to connect with other women in the same phase of life. 26 days on track so far this time :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    I lost a material amount of weight here while in menopause (50+ pounds). Recent research suggests our metabolism is pretty consistent into our 60s, so the issues with weight gain in menopause are fostered in part by loss of muscle mass, and by reduced daily life activity.

The good news is that both of those are things we can counter, by doing some strength-challenging fun exercise (can be weight training, but there are other useful modes), and consciously increasing how much we move in daily life (non-exercise stuff).

There are some tips from other MFP-ers about increasing daily life (non-exercise) movement in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

This is the metabolism research:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34385400/

Best wishes for success!
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I packed on the pounds through Covid lockdown and Menopause which sort of coincided. I'm sure there were biological reasons but mostly I ate too many calories and didn't prioritize exercise. I could see from pictures and could feel from trying on clothes that things were getting out of control. I finally got the courage to weigh myself in April and was shocked by the number on the scale. I honestly think it was the highest I'd ever been - even when I was pregnant! So I got to work. Weighing and measuring, logging, making better food choices and adding more exercise (but nothing crazy). I've basically lost a pound a week ever since. In 4 ounces, I will have lost 18 pounds. I look and feel so much better and didn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I haven't felt denied ever! I eat whatever I want but I choose when and how much I eat specific things. I would like to lose 12 more pounds and then will commit to maintaining the weightless. That is always the very hardest thing for me. But bottom line, I don't think being menopausal has made it harder for me to lose weight at all.