Lose Stomach Fat Challenge

Options
I have been thinking all day about an article published by Macleans magazine about how eating wheat causes the build up of stomach fat. For those who don't know Macleans, it is Canada's newsmagazine and comparable to Time or Newsweek. In this issue, they interview William Davis, a preventive cardiologist who practises in Milwaukee, Wis., who argues in his new book Wheat Belly that wheat is bad for your health..

Here is the link for those interested: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/

Quote:

Q: But I’m not overweight and I exercise regularly. So why would eating whole wheat bread be bad for me?

A: You can trigger effects you don’t perceive. Small low-density lipoprotein [LDL] particles form when you’re eating lots of carbohydrates, and they are responsible for atherosclerotic plaque, which in turn triggers heart disease and stroke. So even if you’re a slender, vigorous, healthy person, you’re still triggering the formation of small LDL particles. And second, carbohydrates increase your blood sugars, which cause this process of glycation, that is, the glucose modification of proteins. If I glycate the proteins in my eyes, I get cataracts. If I glycate the cartilage of my knees and hips, I get arthritis. If I glycate small LDL, I’m more prone to atherosclerosis. So it’s a twofold effect. And if you don’t start out slender and keep eating that fair trade, organically grown whole wheat bread that sounds so healthy, you’re repeatedly triggering high blood sugars and are going to wind up with more visceral fat. This isn’t just what I call the wheat belly that you can see, flopping over your belt, but the fat around your internal organs. And as visceral fat accumulates, you risk responses like diabetes and heart disease.

End of quote. IN another study published recently, the optimum waist size was 31.5", so as to have minimal visceral fat around the organs.

Challenge: I have plenty of belly fat, but if cutting out wheat will enable me to loose my apple shape quicker, I am ready to give it a try. There are plenty of grain substitutes for wheat, so what I am proposing is a 2 week challenge where we cut out all wheat, wheat flour, bread and everything else made from wheat.

During those two weeks we can check in, exchange information about how our bodies are reacting, recipes, and how much we are loosing in terms of waist measurements and weight. Who wants to join?

I propose that we start Monday, to give us time to go shopping for bread not made from wheat.

Starting, my weight is 183, and my waist (2" above the belly button after a full expiration): 38"

After two weeks, we should have a pretty good idea about how this is working. Who wants to try it?

Replies

• Abbie_Thompson
    Abbie_Thompson Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing about your results but don't think I could give up wheat!
  • montiy
    Options
    Likewise, I'd really like to hear the results from anyone who tries it -- but I'm not sure I'm ready to do it myself, yet. :)
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    so can you ever eat wheat again?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    "so can you ever eat wheat again? "

Only if you pretend they are Belgian chocolates!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I thought wheat anything was better for you?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking all day about an article published by Macleans magazine about how eating wheat causes the build up of stomach fat. For those who don't know Macleans, it is Canada's newsmagazine and comparable to Time or Newsweek. In this issue, they interview William Davis, a preventive cardiologist who practises in Milwaukee, Wis., who argues in his new book Wheat Belly that wheat is bad for your health..

Here is the link for those interested: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/

Quote:

Q: But I’m not overweight and I exercise regularly. So why would eating whole wheat bread be bad for me?

A: You can trigger effects you don’t perceive. Small low-density lipoprotein [LDL] particles form when you’re eating lots of carbohydrates, and they are responsible for atherosclerotic plaque, which in turn triggers heart disease and stroke. So even if you’re a slender, vigorous, healthy person, you’re still triggering the formation of small LDL particles. And second, carbohydrates increase your blood sugars, which cause this process of glycation, that is, the glucose modification of proteins. If I glycate the proteins in my eyes, I get cataracts. If I glycate the cartilage of my knees and hips, I get arthritis. If I glycate small LDL, I’m more prone to atherosclerosis. So it’s a twofold effect. And if you don’t start out slender and keep eating that fair trade, organically grown whole wheat bread that sounds so healthy, you’re repeatedly triggering high blood sugars and are going to wind up with more visceral fat. This isn’t just what I call the wheat belly that you can see, flopping over your belt, but the fat around your internal organs. And as visceral fat accumulates, you risk responses like diabetes and heart disease.

End of quote. IN another study published recently, the optimum waist size was 31.5", so as to have minimal visceral fat around the organs.

Challenge: I have plenty of belly fat, but if cutting out wheat will enable me to loose my apple shape quicker, I am ready to give it a try. There are plenty of grain substitutes for wheat, so what I am proposing is a 2 week challenge where we cut out all wheat, wheat flour, bread and everything else made from wheat.

During those two weeks we can check in, exchange information about how our bodies are reacting, recipes, and how much we are loosing in terms of waist measurements and weight. Who wants to join?

I propose that we start Monday, to give us time to go shopping for bread not made from wheat.

Starting, my weight is 183, and my waist (2" above the belly button after a full expiration): 38"

After two weeks, we should have a pretty good idea about how this is working. Who wants to try it?

I've made bread/flour/wheat the enemy since February and it has made a huge difference. Size 32 waist jeans, down from size 38. That has been my experience -- everybody's mileage will vary.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy wheat.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and am on a gluten free diet and I feel soooo much better than I did before. I found it hard to stick to at first and I cheated often. Now that I have found so many gluten free options I hardly even miss products made from wheat. I still will have a product made from wheat once in awhile but not often. I havent lost much weight yet but that could be do to the fact that I have a low thyroid problem and need to up my Synthroid.
  • Sunny_1989
    Options
    I'd love to know the results, but as I am not in charge of the groceries here, I cannot cut wheat out of my diet.
  • grassette
    Options
    "I've made bread/flour/wheat the enemy since February and it has made a huge difference. Size 32 waist jeans, down from size 38. That has been my experience -- everybody's mileage will vary. "

It's good to get that feedback. At what rate did you find yourself losing? Did you diet in other ways, or was it only by cutting out wheat/gluten that you lost weight?
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's not just wheat, it's anything with gluten in it. My daughter is gluten-sensitive and I've been playing around with going gluten free also. She's lost a tremendous amount of belly fat and 60lbs overall. The best plan is to cut out all gluten for 2 weeks and then start adding some back and see what happens to you and your digestive system.

If you're going to do this, no grain of any kind, only seeds, rice or corn. Most processed meats have gluten in them, so does store-bought broths, soy sauce, and BEER! :smile:

Here's a great site, read the section on how to go gluten free and especially the GF ABC's.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

I can't start this week (menu already planned, chicken barley chili is definitely not gluten free!) But I'll jump on board next week.

Also skinnytaste.com has some gluten free recipes.

Good luck!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to give it a try
    I'll have to give you my measurements tomorrow tho
    Rice and rice noodles here I come!
  • elcanela
    Options
    I'm willing to take this on... I don't really show signs of gluten sensitivity, but I do have problems with carbohydrates. I'd been tempted to try going gluten free for some time now. I just updated my figures, I think I'm around 43.5" at the waist.
  • grassette
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of belly fat left (met my goal a few months ago) but I'm in. I often go weeks without wheat anyway. I'll measure today and again in 2 weeks.
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm up for that!! Count me in!! Will post measurements later.
  • lilmissemmylou
    lilmissemmylou Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting - Ill reply now so I can look into it more tomorrow :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought wheat anything was better for you?

When it comes to processed grains such as pasta and bread, whole wheat is much better than regular white pasta/bread. But don't be fooled by the word "wheat". White pasta and bread are also made from wheat. You need to see the word "whole". 100% whole wheat or whole grain is best, but whole wheat (or other grain) should be the first ingredient or you should skip it.
  • grassette
    Options
    Weigh in day for the first day of the Challenge. Remember, the goal is to avoid wheat, wheat flour and wheat products for the next two weeks and see if it has affected our weight measurements.

Weight: 184
    Waist: 38 inches.

So, no bread for today, no cereal with wheat in it, no pasta made from wheat. Let's see how it goes!