The simple reason why over 90% of dieters regain lost weight

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
Simply put..................if the diet you lost weight on isn't sustainable for you the rest of your life...............you'll regain. It's why I ALWAYS tell clients not to embark on a fad diet or eating program unless they plan to stick to it forever. The best weight loss instructors with high longetivity success with clients will tell you the same.

Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    They think “job done” after losing weight and go back to old eating habits. Maintaining can be harder than losing.
  • stephnrh1
    stephnrh1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is very true and something that people don't typically thinking about while they're losing the weight. You get so excited that you've lost the weight that once you hit your goal you think exactly what you said job done. It's something you have to change the rest of your life.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    They think “job done” after losing weight and go back to old eating habits. Maintaining can be harder than losing.

I didn't even significantly change my eating habits (mostly quantities and activity level) and even I'm having a bit of difficulty maintaining :neutral: It's only a regain of 5lbs (of a total of around 75lbs) in my case. I can only imagine how hard it must be to try and maintain when eating in a way you don't like OR how fast the weight piles back on when going back to the way of eating eating that caused the weight gain in the first place!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think fad diets are a waste of time.

Make sensible food substitutions, manage portion control, cut down on bingeing, and add exercise habits. That is easier to sustain long term than a fad diet that cuts out many of the foods you like, and it's a pathway to getting away from calorie tracking if you desire, once you have successfully maintained for long enough.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Make sensible food substitutions, manage portion control, cut down on bingeing, and add exercise habits.

giphy.gif
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    It makes me so sad to see so many “I’m back” posts here.

If nothing else, read and learn from those folks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    A modern paradox. The standard American diet is the standard diet the vast majority of the population consume for mostly social and economical reasons, it's easy, it's cost effective and people like how it tastes. Basically that's the diet that has sustained over 300 million people for the last 50 years. It's loved so much that when trying to eat less of it, people just capitulate and go back and consume the diet people are use to, people love to eat, and the one that has sustained them all their lives but in most cases just end up gaining that weight back, or more. Unfortunately the diet that has been the most sustainable is the diet that is also killing them, so in that context, being too easily sustainable is the problem. When people try different strategies and fail, it's then said, it's because it wasn't sustainable. A devils advocate position, play nice. cheers
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Milk chocolate has a couple of extra g of protein as compared to dark, so I am going with that. But if you're sticking to 1200 Cal the max protein intake you're looking at is 17.2g a day. Which ain't a lot. Especially long term.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    A modern paradox. The standard American diet is the standard diet the vast majority of the population consume for mostly social and economical reasons, it's easy, it's cost effective and people like how it tastes. Basically that's the diet that has sustained over 300 million people for the last 50 years. It's loved so much that when trying to eat less of it, people just capitulate and go back and consume the diet people are use to, people love to eat, and the one that has sustained them all their lives but in most cases just end up gaining that weight back, or more. Unfortunately the diet that has been the most sustainable is the diet that is also killing them, so in that context, being too easily sustainable is the problem. When people try different strategies and fail, it's then said, it's because it wasn't sustainable. A devils advocate position, play nice. cheers

Gotta disagree with you a bit. Chocolate wasn’t a thing til about three hundred years ago and wasn’t available to the masses til the late 19th century.

My beloved Salt & Vinegar chips (family size bag for after-breakfast-pre-lunch snack, mind you ) not available a million years ago.

I do believe the argument that chemicals and research have made modern day food hyper palatable, as has economics.

People are much better off these days. Historically, a middle class didn’t exist or was a very small strata of societies when it did. It was an accepted trope that only wealthy people could afford to be fat.

You just didn’t commonly see obesity til very recently. My mom was morbidly obese for as long as I can remember and I can remember people staring at her because she was so out of the norm in the late 60’s.

In her defense, eating was her way of coping with the societal “shame” (of that era) and difficulty of raising handicapped children, and the trauma and shame of hunger during her own childhood (she absolutely hated neighbors knowing and leaving food by their door).
  • neanderthin
    edited July 2023
    Options

Gotta disagree with you a bit. Chocolate wasn’t a thing til about three hundred years ago and wasn’t available to the masses til the late 19th century.

My beloved Salt & Vinegar chips (family size bag for after-breakfast-pre-lunch snack, mind you ) not available a million years ago.

I do believe the argument that chemicals and research have made modern day food hyper palatable, as has economics.

People are much better off these days. Historically, a middle class didn’t exist or was a very small strata of societies when it did. It was an accepted trope that only wealthy people could afford to be fat.

You just didn’t commonly see obesity til very recently. My mom was morbidly obese for as long as I can remember and I can remember people staring at her because she was so out of the norm in the late 60’s.

In her defense, eating was her way of coping with the societal “shame” (of that era) and difficulty of raising handicapped children, and the trauma and shame of hunger during her own childhood (she absolutely hated neighbors knowing and leaving food by their door).

Nothing here that I disagree with. There are consequences to progress, some good, some not so much. Cheers
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My "fad diet" is what I consider the pre-diabetic and diabetic meal plan. I have a "keto-ish" meal plan, but it is protein-rich and has minimal carbs.

All I had to do "keto-ish" meals, and you had so many posters telling me, "Keto is not doable in the long run!" Wrong.

You cook and prepare your own food and lifehack to your own nutrition. I keep whole milk in my diet, cheese, and avocado, but "keto chocolate" is an abomination. If you do it right, you can have half of Ghiradelli bar (72% cacao), blueberries (or raspberries), and whipped cream. I do prefer the milk-chocolate, Cadbury Daily Milk. That's MY burden.

• ninerbuff
    edited July 2023
    Options
    My "fad diet" is what I consider the pre-diabetic and diabetic meal plan. I have a "keto-ish" meal plan, but it is protein-rich and has minimal carbs.

All I had to do "keto-ish" meals, and you had so many posters telling me, "Keto is not doable in the long run!" Wrong.

You cook and prepare your own food and lifehack to your own nutrition. I keep whole milk in my diet, cheese, and avocado, but "keto chocolate" is an abomination. If you do it right, you can have half of Ghiradelli bar (72% cacao), blueberries (or raspberries), and whipped cream. I do prefer the milk-chocolate, Cadbury Daily Milk. That's MY burden.

What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto?

vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Also, are you saying that you'll never have over 25 grams of carbs in your diet daily with the exception of an indulge here and there. And how long have you been doing this?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

What about minerals and other vitamins that aren't provided if you're only doing keto?

vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B7, vitamin B12, calcium, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus to name a few.

Also, are you saying that you'll never have over 25 grams of carbs in your diet daily with the exception of an indulge here and there. And how long have you been doing this?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe check before making such broad statements. Your about as far a way from being correct as anyone can be.
  • ninerbuff
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe check before making such broad statements. Your about as far a way from being correct as anyone can be.
    https://paleofoundation.com/micronutrient-deficiency-ketogenic-diet/

Important Micronutrient Targets for a Ketogenic Diet
    Vitamins

• Vitamin B1
    • Vitamin B5
    • Vitamin B7
    • Vitamin D
    • Vitamin E

Major Minerals

• Calcium
    • Magnesium
    • Manganese