Don't skip the yolk!

Options
2»

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'd probably eat ONLY the yolks if I could -- flavor, vitamins, and delicious fat! But I don't want to miss out on the protein in the white. So I just eat whole eggs. I try to keep it simple. :happy:
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Question, as someone who always eats the whites with the yolks, do you just throw away the egg yolk you don't use if you're just using the white? Isn't that a waste?
  • reese1206
    Options
    Ditto
    Whenever I eat eggs, and I eat eggs a lot, I use one whole egg and add whites to that.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat eggs, and I eat eggs a lot, I use one whole egg and add whites to that.

That is what the article suggests you do for omelettes and quiches.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Karg always offer yolk to chief first, cuz dat best part! Yolk has da mojo for da go go.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    That's my favorite part! I usually skimp on the whites and go for the yolk, lol.

Ha ha, me too! I find egg whites yucky and only have them if they are scrambled and mixed up with the lovely yolks. As kids, when we had boiled eggs for breakfast, me and my sister used to do swapsies as she loved the white and I loved the yolks.

It's also a bit difficult living where I do in the UK as none of my local supermarkets stock liquid egg white. I will only ever buy free range organic eggs, which are around £1.80 for six, so throwing away parts of the egg would be really wasteful and expensive too.
  • mmelledge
    Options

That is what the article suggests you do for omelettes and quiches.

Yes, this. And to answer a recent question ^, I do sometimes toss the extra yolks. I'd rather have a little waste than a big waist.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't understand not liking the yolks! I don't like the whites all that much, I eat them because they're there and they come with the yolks and they come in handy to make meringue and stuff but that's it. I love the yolks!
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    Always eat the full egg, the Yolk contains more good stuff than bad! Enjoy
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love eggs.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This! Even as a kid I never liked the yolk. I eat it in scrambled eggs when my husband makes us all breakfast on Saturday or Sunday mornings but otherwise, no yolks for me!
    But I don't like the yolk...icky...icky...icky
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Good article. It is also a good idea to buy them locally (non factory farmed) and freshly laid if possible (no hormones etc).

It is illegal for fowl to be given hormones...
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Good article. It is also a good idea to buy them locally (non factory farmed) and freshly laid if possible (no hormones etc).
    But it is not illegal to feed them a diet that is not appropriate for their species which leads to sick chickens and much less nutrient-dense eggs.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    But it is not illegal to feed them a diet that is not appropriate for their species which leads to sick chickens and much less nutrient-dense eggs.

Got nothin' to do with the post I quoted and show me the research/proof that eggs being sold are from chickens who are sick.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yolk i yummy! But to fit within my daily cal requirements I use one whole egg and several egg whites.. but I could never throw out the yolk so I buy egg whites in cartons :)
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Got nothin' to do with the post I quoted and show me the research/proof that eggs being sold are from chickens who are sick.
    I was just posting it as food for thought. I didn't say that eggs were being sold from sick chickens.
  • littlemount
    Options
    I could not read the article but as far as I know I tend to want to more eggs and egg yolks because I read an article long time ago about it being one of the things essential in preventing breast cancer.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. The cholesterol and saturated fat damning research was fabricated.

http://www.askscooby.com/nutrition-39/the-truth-about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol#ixzz1XkJRLRpb
    Wow! I followed up with Wikipedia articles on ol' Ancel Keys. Interesting history.

Lol.