Struggling to see the point

Options
I have always struggled to get past the mindset of having to work out. Maybe because I had always been naturally thin in my youth and a natural clutz-LOL, so there really was no motivation for me to work out or be fit. I tried going to the gym in my youth, and I just recently joined the gym yet again in my 58th year, but I get bored so easily. I realize that now in my senior years I just need to keep moving, especially when I am in an office job for 10 hours a day. I see the importance of it, and it is no longer about vanity. But when I forced myself to go to the gym while I was on vacation in Mexico and still came back 4 lbs heavier...ugh! It is just so disheartening. I need to lose 25 lbs and I just hate having to count calories. Mainly because I resent it and become angry with the rigidity of this journalling...I develop a very unhealthy mindset. It makes me feel so deprived and I start to obsess around food. So...any advice? Sorry for being so negative but I could really use some mindset advice as I realize that is the majority of my problem.
Tagged:

Replies

• donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have done some great work already in reflecting on your mindset. Could it be that working out in the gym simply doesn’t do it for you, but something else could? I’m asking because this is definitely the case for me, I find repetition boring and prefer to be outdoors (walking, cycling, hiking) if possible. Or maybe group classes would be more fun than grinding through a set of exercises solo? Practices with a strong mind-body connection like yoga or pilates could help you to find more meaning in movement?

I don’t want to be too much of a Pollyanna but so much of weight loss is about finding what works for YOU and it can take some trial and error. I wish you the best!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Having to live with some reasonable limits is not an injustice. It’s the responsible thing to do. Consider this- our bodies are designed to survive hard times by storing extra calories as fat. But for most of us, hard times have never arrived. It’s actually a good problem to have. But we still have bodies where the eye sees food and the brain says eat. It’s similar to our brains having to cope with all the electronics. We just aren’t built for modern life. Given enough time it isn’t hard to put on extra lbs. Just an extra 50 cals per day will put on 5 lbs in a year. Do it for 5 years and there’s 25 lbs.

I was 56 when I started my first food diary. I had already lost a lot before that put felt like I was hopelessly stuck. In desperation I joined Weight Watchers. WW is really just calorie counting dressed up for copyright protection. It worked. In about 6 months I lost 35 lbs. I was 56. I’m 73 now haven’t gained it back.

A mistake people make I think is to make weight loss into a bigger deal than it really is. I got the idea of reasonable limits from another guy doing WW. It kind of eased the burden. My food diary was always kept with pen and paper. Really just a bunch of crude lists with numbers.
    There’s a bunch of number crunching at the beginning but it gets easier with time. I came to look at it as some sort of puzzle game. How do I get something filling enough, tasty enough, easy enough, to fit in my plan?

The reason I’m going on about calorie counting is because I know it works. But there are other ways. I follow some WL folks on twitter. A lot of them do Keto, some in combo with intermittent fasting. They don’t count calories and don’t limit portions. But they do limit what and when. I think it’s a matter of our personal brains. What limits do you think your brain can live with? Gotta limit something. Not some major overhaul. Just reasonable limits. Good luck.
  • bleuchez
    bleuchez Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    a grand design allows eating one piece of bread give a body the energy to walk a mile or more! yaayy
    at least by my calorie counter and the exercise log. surprising!
    I HAVE THE POWWWERRR! o:)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Working out" is not necessary. Doing some kind of movement is a good idea for your health. Try other things--branch out. As for calorie counting--it works, if you do it. If you really hate it there are other ways, but you'll have to be in a deficit. How you want to manage that is up to you. Set up good habits that will see you through long term. Good luck.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, logging gives you a framework within which you can craft a diet that is nutritionally complete and satisfying for you personally. It can take a long time to get it right, but it's an interesting study, especially when you have friends here. I'm maintaining a loss of 34ish lbs and still logging and sharing thoughts and perspectives and recipes with friends here. It never gets boring...The gym, on the other hand, can get a little boring for me too. I quit going when the pandemic started and walk my dogs for an hour or so a day. I know I should be lifting weights regularly but I've been letting it slide. More often I do body weight exercises while waiting for water to heat up in the microwave. It all adds up.
  • healthierorbust
    healthierorbust Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot of those “what’s the point” feelings! Using this app can feel monotonous and tedious. Is there anywhere near you like a park or a trail where you can walk for fitness before or after work instead of going to the gym?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If you're bored, then you haven't found the exercise you like to do. It just doesn't have to be gym work. Dance, daily walking, pickleball, hiking, etc. are all forms of movement you can do. Also, it's not unusual to gain weight on vacation because most people will always eat more than they think.
    But it is important to change your mindset because if not, you'll end up being way overweight and dealing with health issues as you age. Wear and tear accelerates with weight gain (joints, cartilage) and stress on your organs as well. So many over 60 years old who are overweight now are spending their retirement money on medication and doctors visits. So you do have a choice of what you want to do. You just have to want to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled to get past the mindset of having to work out. Maybe because I had always been naturally thin in my youth and a natural clutz-LOL, so there really was no motivation for me to work out or be fit. I tried going to the gym in my youth, and I just recently joined the gym yet again in my 58th year, but I get bored so easily. I realize that now in my senior years I just need to keep moving, especially when I am in an office job for 10 hours a day. I see the importance of it, and it is no longer about vanity. But when I forced myself to go to the gym while I was on vacation in Mexico and still came back 4 lbs heavier...ugh! It is just so disheartening. I need to lose 25 lbs and I just hate having to count calories. Mainly because I resent it and become angry with the rigidity of this journalling...I develop a very unhealthy mindset. It makes me feel so deprived and I start to obsess around food. So...any advice? Sorry for being so negative but I could really use some mindset advice as I realize that is the majority of my problem.

Keep moving? For best long-term good health, yes.

Gym? Totally optional.

I've been active for around 20 years now, and fitter than average for my demographic for most of that time. (I'm F 67 now.) I did stay fat for around a dozen years of that, because fit (in athletic terms) and body fat aren't exactly the same thing. Around 8 years ago (starting age 59), I lost weight for about a year, and have been at a healthy weight since.

Most of my fitness activities over those years have been non-gym (home or outdoor), and I literally haven't been inside a gym since before the pandemic (but am as fit as I was then, maybe moreso, because I ramped up some activities out of pandemic-era boredom).

Finding activities you actually enjoy, and maybe even want to improve at, is pretty magical. That transformed my life, 20 years ago - no exaggeration.

Healthy weight? Very worthwhile, IME. Calorie counting? Not the only possible route.

Calorie counting was perfect for me, like a fun science fair project for grown-ups. It let me reach/maintain a healthy weight while eating the maximum amount of tasty food I could; while simultaneously giving me the best odds of an independent, active life for as many years as possible. I used to have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, frequent joint pain . . . now I don't. I'm more spry/mobile. My overall sense of well-being improved (maybe less systemic inflammation? dunno). That all feels excellent.

There's a learning curve to counting, but now it rarely takes me as much as 10 minutes a day. For me, that's a super-small price to pay for the benefits. (YMMV.)

However, I'm old enough to have been adult well before calorie counting was a practical weight loss method. People lost weight back then, simply by cutting back on things they knew were calorie dense. That can still work. Cut back, watch your scale, and you can get there without counting. Sure, there are strategies like intermittent fasting, keto, blah blah blah, but various things can work. All of it works by reducing calorie intake, and some of those things can work without counting the calories. Pick one that's relatively convenient and tolerable for you personally.

Nowadays, as I look around me at friends and relatives my age +/- 10 years or so, it's blatantly obvious to me that the reasonably slim, active people have much better quality of life on average. Those people are moving along doing fun things and eating foods they like including treats; they're able to maintain an independent life.

By contrast, the overweight/inactive people on average are sick more often, take longer to recover, need to take multiple medications (with side effects and negative interactions), can't eat everything they like (even in moderation) because of health conditions or drug interactions, can't do fun things that require lots of walking or stairs (art fairs, music festivals, stadium events, etc.), spend more of their money on drugs and medical interventions, need to hire services or depend on children for more demanding home chores (yard work, heavy cleaning, flipping the mattress, whatever), and more.

When I go to doctors office, the overweight and out of shape are over-represented in the waiting room, it seems like, compared to places where one would see a cross-section of regular people (like the grocery store).

To me, that's all kind of "you don't have to whack me with a 2x4". I know how I'd prefer future Ann's life to be. (I wish younger Ann had had a similar perspective, frankly, even though things are pretty good for me now.)

I can't tell you how to flip the switch in your head to realizing that your future self is a real person, and that it's worth committing to improving her odds of a happy life. But the above is some of the stuff that finally sunk in for me, I guess.

Best wishes!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Working out alone is boring, but podcasts and music are entertaining, so combine it!

Also I find that when exercising at home, following an instructor on a YouTube video gives me a sense of encouragement, and feels less solitary. There are thousands of them out there.

But you still have to have the drive to get started, and that is habit. Make up a schedule, put it on your phone or calendar, stick to it for a week, and evaluate. Then revise, but don't quit. There are work arounds for every exercise obstacle out there, unless you are comatose! Commit yourself to starting on schedule, get your gear sorted and your clothes on, show up and start. Revising the plan is part of the game, so expect to have some changes. They are not setbacks, just adaptations. You can do this!

Annie
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I'll share what works for me.. maybe it may help. I make rules for myself instead of counting calories. I clear all sugar and junk food..cookies, chips.. bread.. out of my house so i don't cheat. I pack tasty healthy food in a cooler and keep it with me when i leave the house so i never eat fast food or stop off at stores where i get tempted to buy something fattening. . If i walk or exercise an hour a day five days out of the week..

I've had compelte success not counting calories and doing these things. I find counting them doesn't work for me.

( also..as you get older.yes.. you have to exercise that is a reality .. you're on the right track there)