Foot numbness/aching from running

Options
In the past few days, my foot has been aching and I have numbness on the outside sole, near the pinky toe.

X-ray showed nothing unusual. Doctor declared it plantar fasciitis. It's a bit of a catch-all for every non-specific foot problem. I read that it's unusual to have numbness associated with it.

Anyone else gotten something like this? It's been less than a week and I think it's already getting better. I almost couldn't walk at first!
Tagged:

Replies

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are you new to running?

I had this exact same thing, including it being the right foot, when I started. Very uncomfortable, and worrying as I feared nerve damage.

It went away after a couple of weeks. Entirely.

Hopefully that will be the case for you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    It can happen if your gait puts a lot of pressure on the flexor digiti minimi brevis muscle and irritates it to inflame, then it could cause an impingement to the nerve that runs along it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @herringboxes : I restarted running about 7 years ago. I'm a very slow runner and I keep the miles low, cross training on cycling and swimming. Like you, I had all sorts of aches and pains when I started running and I questioned my sanity many times! But, this is the worst so far.

@ninerbuff : Always nice to see your expert comments.

Well, it's been a bummer. It doesn't hurt like a b1tch anymore, but it gives a dull ache with pressure. The ortho says it's just plain plantar fasciitis and should be treated with RICE, a night brace, and physical therapy 😉.

She thought the numbness would resolve along with the inflammation. But if it didn't, we'd have to revisit the problem. I don't see much mention of numbness in the sole of your foot with PF, but she says it sometimes happens. Feet are complicated!
  • 2tryharder
    2tryharder Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same symptoms. After an MRI it was diagnosed as Morton's Neuroma, a nerve bundle that develops with impingement that ninerbuff mentioned. I got prescription orthotics with a "bump" that separates my pinkie toe from the next-over one and it helps. I hope you don't have it because it won't go away on it's on.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @2tryharder : Morton's Neuroma has been mentioned, but they seem to have rejected it. Of course, if it doesn't go away, the suggestion will come back.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes and/or inserts at an actual running store?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Do you buy your shoes a little big? I do because my feet swell a little when I run.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Try a wider shoe and see how it goes. I switched to wider shoes with plantar faciitis and it made all the difference in the world.\

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    The question of shoes is interesting. I have been running with ASIC Nimbus shoe line for many years. They are a full-support shoe, but not what I call a "double stuffed," as pioneered by Hoka.

This just changed. The Nimbus 25 is exactly the "double stuffed" kind of shoe. So much that I first bought a more standard looking shoe, the ASIC GT-2000 10, that looks a lot like the Nimbus 20, 21, and 22.

So, since about January, I've mostly run on the GT-2000 10, which has been very familiar to me:

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gt-2000-10/p/ANA_1011B564-100.html

But, since about May, I've also experimented (running a bit less frequently) on the thicker/softer style shoe:

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gel-nimbus-25/p/ANA_1011B547-001.html

Now, it is incredibly hard to determine which one is more responsible for "causing" my foot problem. I can tell you that wearing the Nimbus 25 casually has been a balm-- they're incredibly comfortable. When In fact, when I went to the orthopedist, I found that she was wearing these exact shoes at work!

It's going to be hard to determine which shoes to use for running going forward. I will certainly consult the local running store (Marathon Sports). AND, my PT, and others.

Best of luck to everyone else!