21 Day Sugar-Free Challenge

Options
SharonLeeSt
SharonLeeSt Posts: 54 Member
Impromptu challenge... no sugar for 21 days. I am starting tomorrow June 20 2023 thru July 10 2023. I will pick one cheat day around July 4 ... otherwise will post at the end of each day. Anyone else? Choose your own dates... your own rules... just post here for a challenge and encouragement...

Replies

• SharonLeeSt
    Options
    Day 1 - no sugar in coffee ... major victory and its early in the day! Now to avoid the evening ice cream!!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I join many challenges and fail miserably at most. However, I'll join you after my mini vacation and in the meantime I'll cheer you on!
  • Bea2620
    Bea2620 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hi!! I've just found your challenge and I would love to join. I've already had a bar of chocolate this morning (before I came across your challenge) but I am committed from now!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    You're talking no "added" sugar. It's almost unavoidable to do no sugar since fruits and vegetables have sugar in them. Also are you just going to completely avoid it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SharonLeeSt
    Options
    Day 2 of 21 - no ADDED sugar today!! Trying to stay lower carb as well and not eat from 7PM to 7AM. Most importantly, trying to track food and use my Fitbit for steps and sleep. Current goal of 6000 steps/day. Not much but its been a hard year recovering from two surgeries ...

Wecome LoveyChar -- I don't do well in challenges either! Maybe going more public will keep me on track ... THANK YOU for cheering me on!!

Hello Bea -- I am looking forward to keeping track with you! We will not be perfect, but perhaps will do better together!

Ninebuff - thanks for clarifying - my goal is to avoid adding sugar to coffee and avoiding any candy, pastries, ice cream etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of 21 - no ADDED sugar today!! Trying to stay lower carb as well and not eat from 7PM to 7AM. Most importantly, trying to track food and use my Fitbit for steps and sleep. Current goal of 6000 steps/day. Not much but its been a hard year recovering from two surgeries ...

Wecome LoveyChar -- I don't do well in challenges either! Maybe going more public will keep me on track ... THANK YOU for cheering me on!!

Hello Bea -- I am looking forward to keeping track with you! We will not be perfect, but perhaps will do better together!

Ninebuff - thanks for clarifying - my goal is to avoid adding sugar to coffee and avoiding any candy, pastries, ice cream etc.
    What's your purpose for it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SharonLeeSt
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Lower A1C1 for a start...

• SharonLeeSt
    Options
    Day 3 ... B)
  • SharonLeeSt
    Options
    Day 4 ... caved for a tsp of sugar in coffee but no other sweet treats... one day at a time...
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I just went 10 days without sugar, I'm starting again today, I'll aim for the 21 days.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

What's your purpose for it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have a number of reasons to stop having sugar. I asked ChatGPT to make a list of 50 reasons to stop having sugar, 1, 3, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 22, 28, 29, 32, 38, 39, 40, 43, 46, 47 (less inflammation due to less skin particles entering the eye region), and 50 are relevant to me. It missed one (it knew about it when asking a separate question. I can't be bothered typing numbers 1 to 50, they are grouped in 10s.

Weight management: Eliminating sugar aids in weight loss and weight management by reducing calorie intake and preventing overeating.

Diabetes prevention/control: Cutting out sugar helps regulate blood sugar levels and reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

Improved heart health: Excessive sugar consumption is linked to an increased risk of heart disease. Avoiding sugar promotes better cardiovascular health.

Enhanced energy levels: Stable blood sugar levels resulting from reduced sugar intake lead to improved and sustained energy throughout the day.

Mental clarity and focus: Lowering sugar intake can improve cognitive function, enhance mental clarity, and increase focus and productivity.

Reduced risk of chronic diseases: High sugar consumption is associated with an increased risk of chronic conditions such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, liver disease, Alzheimer's disease, and metabolic syndrome.

Dental health: Sugar is a major contributor to tooth decay and cavities. Eliminating or reducing sugar intake improves dental health.

Balanced mood: Avoiding sugar helps stabilize mood, reducing the risk of mood swings, irritability, and anxiety caused by blood sugar fluctuations.

Better sleep quality: Lowering sugar intake contributes to better sleep quality, reducing sleep disturbances and promoting restful sleep.

Enhanced immune function: Excessive sugar consumption weakens the immune system, making individuals more susceptible to illnesses. Reducing sugar intake supports a stronger immune response.

Reduced cravings: Sugar triggers cravings and addictive-like behaviors. Eliminating sugar helps break the cycle and reduces cravings for unhealthy foods.

Improved gut health: High sugar intake disrupts the balance of gut bacteria and leads to digestive issues. Avoiding sugar promotes a healthier gut microbiome and reduces the risk of conditions like leaky gut syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Clearer skin: Lowering sugar intake improves skin health by reducing inflammation, preventing acne breakouts, and promoting a more radiant complexion.

Long-term weight maintenance: By eliminating sugar, individuals develop healthier eating habits and sustain weight loss in the long run.

Increased nutrient intake: Cutting out sugary foods creates room for more nutrient-dense options, leading to a more balanced and nutritious diet.

Improved insulin sensitivity: Limiting sugar intake helps improve insulin sensitivity, reducing the risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

Lower risk of fatty liver disease: Excessive sugar consumption contributes to the development of fatty liver disease. Avoiding sugar reduces this risk and promotes liver health.

Reduced joint pain and inflammation: Sugar exacerbates joint pain and inflammation, especially in conditions like arthritis. Eliminating sugar alleviates these symptoms and promotes joint health.

Improved hormone balance: Sugar consumption disrupts hormonal balance, particularly insulin and cortisol. Avoiding sugar supports healthier hormone levels, benefiting overall well-being.

Reduced risk of kidney damage: High sugar intake may contribute to kidney damage and kidney disease. Cutting back on sugar helps protect kidney health.

Increased longevity: A diet low in sugar is associated with increased longevity and a reduced risk of premature aging.

Improved digestion: Reducing sugar intake alleviates digestive issues such as bloating, gas, indigestion, acid reflux, and constipation.

Balanced blood pressure: Excessive sugar consumption can contribute to high blood pressure. Avoiding sugar helps maintain healthy blood pressure levels.

Improved cholesterol levels: High sugar intake negatively impacts cholesterol levels. Eliminating or reducing sugar promotes healthier cholesterol profiles.

Enhanced athletic performance: Cutting out sugar can improve athletic performance by stabilizing energy levels, optimizing nutrient intake, and promoting better recovery.

Reduced risk of metabolic syndrome: Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions that increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Lowering sugar intake helps reduce this risk.

Lowered cancer risk: Sugar consumption has been linked to certain types of cancer, such as breast, colon, pancreatic, and endometrial cancer. Reducing sugar intake can help lower the risk.

Reduced inflammation: Sugar consumption leads to chronic inflammation, which is associated with various health issues. Avoiding sugar helps lower inflammation levels and reduces the risk of inflammatory conditions.

Financial savings: Sugar-laden processed foods and beverages can be costly. Cutting out sugar leads to financial savings and encourages more mindful spending on healthier food options.

Enhanced reproductive health: High sugar intake may disrupt reproductive hormone balance and contribute to fertility issues. Reducing sugar supports better reproductive health.

Improved bone health: Excessive sugar consumption can negatively affect bone density and increase the risk of osteoporosis. Avoiding sugar promotes better bone health.

Lowered risk of gallstones: High sugar intake is associated with an increased risk of gallstones. Cutting back on sugar reduces this risk.

Reduced risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD): Sugar consumption plays a significant role in the development of NAFLD. Avoiding sugar helps prevent and manage this condition.

Better nutrient absorption: Sugar interferes with the absorption of essential nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium. Eliminating sugar improves nutrient absorption.

Enhanced fertility: High sugar intake can contribute to hormonal imbalances and fertility issues. Reducing sugar supports better fertility and reproductive health.

Improved mood disorders: Sugar consumption can worsen symptoms of mood disorders like depression and anxiety. Avoiding sugar can help stabilize mood and improve mental well-being.

Balanced blood lipid levels: Excessive sugar consumption can negatively impact blood lipid levels, increasing the risk of cardiovascular problems. Reducing sugar promotes healthier lipid profiles.

Reduced risk of food addiction: Sugar addiction is a real phenomenon. By eliminating sugar, individuals can break free from food addiction and regain control over their eating habits.

Improved nutrient-dense food choices: Cutting out sugar encourages individuals to prioritize whole, unprocessed foods that are rich in essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.

Overall well-being: Eliminating sugar from the diet leads to improved overall well-being, including increased energy, better mood, reduced risk of chronic diseases, healthier body composition, improved cognitive function, better digestion, and a more vibrant, balanced life.

Reduced risk of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): High sugar intake can exacerbate symptoms of PCOS. Lowering sugar intake helps manage PCOS symptoms and improve hormonal balance.

Decreased risk of migraines: Sugar consumption is a common trigger for migraines. Eliminating sugar can reduce the frequency and severity of migraines.

Better dental hygiene: By avoiding sugar, individuals can maintain better dental hygiene and reduce the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.

Improved liver function: The liver processes sugar, and excessive intake can strain this organ. By cutting out sugar, individuals can support better liver function and overall liver health.

Reduced risk of gout: High sugar consumption can contribute to the development of gout, a form of arthritis. Avoiding sugar helps lower the risk of gout flare-ups.

Enhanced natural sweetness appreciation: By eliminating or reducing sugar, individuals can develop a heightened appreciation for the natural sweetness found in fruits and other wholesome foods.

Lowered risk of eye-related conditions: High sugar intake can increase the risk of eye-related conditions such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Cutting back on sugar helps protect eye health.

Improved gut-brain connection: Sugar consumption can negatively impact the gut-brain connection, affecting mood, cognition, and mental well-being. Avoiding sugar supports a healthier gut-brain axis.

Reduced risk of fatty deposits in the liver: Excessive sugar consumption can contribute to the accumulation of fat in the liver, leading to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Eliminating sugar helps prevent and manage this condition.

Increased self-control and mindful eating: By cutting out sugar, individuals cultivate self-control, develop mindful eating habits, and gain a better understanding of their body's nutritional needs.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    @threewins I love your list of reasons to avoid eating sugar. I am working on many of those reasons to get healthier. Your list is really inspiring me to do better. It’s reaffirming what I started out to try and do 4 months ago. Than you for posting it.