weight watchers

Options
Does anybody do the program? Is there anywhere I can find out what its all about (how many points I need to eat, calculate points) without actually joining? There are no weight watchers meetings in my area and I dont really want to pay 60 bucks for the e-membership if I can just learn what its all about from somewhere/someone else.

Replies

• GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I joined this site at first I was on weight watchers for the first 3 weeks and have since cancelled my membership!! I figured out the points they had me eating equaled to the same calories this site recommended. Its also weight watcher counting apps on most phones that are free. However keep in mind the weight watchers point plus does not count fruit or veg and this site does.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    also cancelled my ww membership after jpining here! I find it much easier here than WW.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hate the new program. I found I did not loose any weight because of the fruit and veggies, mainly the fruit.... Its really not any different than MFP other than calories to points which I found to be a bigger pain.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too used to do ww. I now just do this. There is an app you can get, it is called trackit. It follows the points, but I stopped using that also and just use MFP. I find it much more rewarding. Good luck hon:smile:
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been off and on WW for years...I think this is so much easier..
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    hi, i was doing WW at home. here are a few links that can help out.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/206769499337014/

and onemorepound.com is full of information. :)) i successfully lost 40lbs with WW since February of this year. i am currently maintaining :))
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i have done WW on and off in years past and agree that this site is guiding you to about the same number of calories per day (they just translate them into points). the exception is that WW does not count fruit veggie calories toward the daily total. and excerise earns you some calories (points) on WW too but a bit less calories than you get on this site...so maybe subtract about 200 calories your earn from exercise on this site and it would be the equal to WW.

overall i like this site much better than the WW one. and of course its free!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have WW online and this and I choose this over the WW!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    BTW PEOPLE SHE IS ASKING IF YOU GUYS CAN HELP HER FIND SOME INFORMATION ON WW, NOT TO TELL HER NOT TO DO IT. THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF THAT HAD MUCH BETTER SUCCESS WITH WW THAN WITH MFP.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am currently a member but since joining MFP and following their calorie recommendation I have had much better success than Weight Watchers. I haven't counted points in months. I am a member until November and then that's it. I'm not rejoining. MFP all the way for me plus it's FREE! Can't beat that. Count calories. I got too annoyed with having to count points and looking up everything and never tracked well cause of that. You can track online with weight watchers e-tools but it's not free. If you have any specific questions about the program maybe I can help. Points are figured out using info like your age, height, etc. I know that no one gets less than 29 points.
  • AsLiteAsAFeather
    Options
    Points are nothing without nutritional value.

I went on it just to try it out, I was eating my points but not all the "right" foods. My diet wasn't balanced either.

I like this site more. It's free and it helps you understand what your food is composed of and it gives you targets per day for each component (carbs, fat, protein, sodium, sugar, etc)
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did WW plus and I'm 5'3" and at the time 186 pounds and it said for me to eat 24 points per day. I have to joint the bandwagon here though and say that I like MFP better since it's free and has a bigger food data base and is FREE. : )
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    WW calculates the points you can eat in a day, just like MFP calculates the cals you can eat in 1 day. Same a MFP, you can eat your exersice points. Honestly, I think its more realistic to count food with cals and watch the other numbers (fat, carbs, etc.) then transforming it into points. I was on WW with my mom younger but it was a LOT of money at the end... There really is nothing impressive at all about the ww program. So I suggest, don't try it, stay on FREE :) MFP and spend your money on nice clothes instead!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For the points calculator
    http://www.calculatorcat.com/free_calculators/weight_watchers_calculator.phtml

I am 5'5" 135 lbs and my PP # is 29 for 24 hr period for wt loss {I think its 35 for maintenance}
    AP's are approx 80 calorie burn per one point
  • bugsygal89
    bugsygal89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Essentially, weight watchers uses a point system to be similar to calories. Foods that are more filling and healthier/lower in calories TEND to be lower in points.

Instead of having a specific amount of calories, you are consuming a specific number of points. That is how this site helps. It will generate the recommended amount of calories you should consume based on how much you wish to lose and how much you weigh as it is.

Weight watchers tends to be efficient because it teaches moderation. However, I do need to comment that it does not do the BEST job. Fruits should not be zero points because unfortunately, they are high and sugar and therefore need to be consumed in moderation. Furthermore, some fruits should be avoided more (ie. grapes) than others (ie. apples).

I know many people who did weight watchers but I created my own version and found it works just as well. It is the general principle that helps people lose weight. I know you were looking at weight watchers specifically, but if you change your mind, feel free to add me and we can talk :-) and support each other.