Running and 30DS simultaneously?

Options
I've been thinking of doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, but I am also running 4-5 days a week and don't want to stop running. I completed c25k this summer and am up to 3-4 miles several times a week and am running a 10k in November, I think. So can I do 30DS in the morning and run 4-5 times a week at my lunch or at night? I just started MFP so am still figuring out if I should eat my exercise calories or not but if I did both, I would eat more than my 1200 calories. Just wondering if anyone who did 30DS did other exercise or if that is just crazy. Thanks!

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i ran and did 30DS. my legs were really tired somedays but other than that i was ok. EAT those calories back!! especially with the amount of exercise you will be doing!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    There are plenty of people that are doing 30DS AND C25K simultaneously with excellent results. I believe each person is different. I personally have never been a runner and tried to do both and am nursing an injury. As soon as it is good, I plan on adding C25K back into the mix. For now, 30DS, brisk walking and I play tennis.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    30DS is only 20 mins, it is easy to fit in with other exercise. I used it a lot while training for my half marathon. It probably depends on how fit you are already though.... you don't want to over do it or you may injure yourself. It's all about listening to your body.

And I would guess that you'd need to up your calories, but do it gradually. And just eat if you are hungry - your body tells you what it needs
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    of course you can do other exercises while doing the 30 day shred! it's only 25 minutes of circuit training, if you're already in ok shape you should have no problem at all.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I've done both when I'm not training for a running event. 30DS is a pretty intense workout when combined with running. Just remember to listen to your body. Pain is your bodies way of telling you to lay off.

Don't forget that the best results also come from including rest in your exercise plan.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I run 3 times a week and do circuits classes twice a week, similar exercise to the 30DS, but for an hour, rather than 20 mins. I also do aerobics once a week. I find what I do is fine, but I couldn't do the 30DS on top of that. Occasionally I do it if I miss a class or run.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I have been working on c25k for a few weeks only, and added 30ds in today! Ive been doing yoga and spin classes for some time, but I feel like these new moves, the running and video, are great workouts. I am planning on keeping up with both, though I was worried I wouldnt have "the juice" to do both the same day, after doing 30ds today, I do think ill keep with both!

Good luck!
  • essiearie
    essiearie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on Jeff Galloway's 10k training schedule, so I run three times a week and I've been doing 30DS on top of this for about two weeks now. As everybody else has said, I'm just going to listen to my body.

I've been eating a bit more and sleeping A LOT more, but I feel fantastic :)
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So far I don't find the 30ds to be terribly intense, at least not level 1. You might be sore for a couple days and not feel like running then, but I see no reason why you run through most of the shred. I'm planning on picking the c25k back up myself.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS on Thursday, and ran both times that I did it, in addition to running and doing yoga yesterday, when I didn't do 30DS. So far I haven't felt at all over-exercised...it feels like a totally thorough workout!