Appropiate age to have children?

Options
2»

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    As someone who was 19 when she had her 1st child, and who maintained the maturity to stop acting 19 when that happened, I have to say being mature didn't make it any more ideal. I'm 33 and finally got my BA. I missed my selfish early-20s years. I barely got to travel anywhere. I don't resent my children or wish it had been different. I had benefits from being a young mother. But if someone were to take my advice, I'd tell them to wait until they've achieved some level of satisfaction in terms of education, career, and your core wishes and desires. It doesn't mean you have to find utopia before having a child, but these are big, important things, and your children will blanket your dreams with their needs faster than you can say "Diaper Genie".
  • sting9902
    sting9902 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i was 23 when my first daughter was born :)
  • dshiemke
    dshiemke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I waited and had my kids at 30, 33, and 37. I had a bit of a career after college, then became a stay at home mom after the third child was born. I feel like I had a chance to do everything and didn't miss out on anything. It's working for us.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I HAFD MY FIRST AT 18
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I dont plan on having biological children, but I would guess maybe 24-25 at the earliest for most people. I say this because that is when the brain is completely formed.

My mom had me when she was 43 though...rather late, but she was a great mom! I think having an older mom was beneficial in that she was more mature and stuff though ^^

BTW I am so sorry that happened to you ^^ You didnt deserve that, and I think the abortion was the right thing to do. It wasn't like you were using it as a form of birth control, you were taken advantage of. You sound like a mature young woman now, but a child is at least an 18 year commitment.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 36.I don't know if I will have anymore but I am glad I waited. I have a great career and good income. He has everything he could Need or want. Plus I got all of the 'party' out of my system.
    Well most of it :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I was 19 and wouldn't have it any other way. I had all three of my kids by the time I was 25.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I don't think theres an appropiate age really....I had my son when I was 2 months away from my 21st birthday....I got thrown into single motherhood at a young age and it really made me grow up....It turned my usual selfish ways into giving my all to my son...I'm sure that doesn't happen with all people though..I think its different with every person