Conflicting Calorie Counts

Options
i was looking up 4 oz baked salmon for today's dinner. I found a calorie range from 125-225. I looked on other websites to get an average and ended up just overestimating to be safe. How do you guys pick the right calorie count from the MFP database? I know that when a food has an * in front of it, a member has added it. I look for the number of others who agree but in this case it was only 1 or 2 for each. And then dealing with kg and other measurements. Advice?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Something like salmon can vary based on what you put on it while cooking it. Just go with the highest option every time.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I google x nutrition fact.. I browse a few reputable web sites and there always seems to be a very close consensus. Then I will either take an MPF estimate that is close or if I know the real nutrition facts and there is none on MFP I will create my own.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When it doubt, I take the time to research other sources and then compare.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What the others said -- check Livestrong and also caloriecount.about.com -- when in doubt, I consult those, then compare with MFP and find the one closest. I will not pick the highest one I find, because as you said, some counts vary wildly... it continually baffles me how people enter so many duplicates in the database with mistaken counts and without double-checking first!
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice!
  • LYNCARR
    LYNCARR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I noticed this today. Watermelon, 1/2 cup = 23 calories. Watermelon, 1 c = 23 calories. Watermelon, 2 c = 85 calories. Seriously? These were all values given for raw watermelon. (If there's another way to eat it, I don't want to know....)

Obviously, this is a low-cal food. But the same kind of variation shows up in a lot of items, not just the salmon as noted above. And when a food includes multiple ingredients (beef stew, for instance, or a cheese omlette, or coleslaw), it's totally the Wild West. Makes it really hard, sometimes, to plan your meal based on your target caloric intake for the day.

Checking other sources is a good idea, but one of the big draws (for me, anyway) of MFP has been that it was a quick and easy, one-stop app. Is there any way for the admins to clean up the database or clarify the difference between "Houlihan's" grilled cheese sandwich at 949 calories (!!) and the apparently generic grilled cheese sandwich listed at 160 calories (neat trick, since most sandwich-type breads list out at 80-120 calories a slice).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Species of salmon will vary in fat content. A wild chinook will have about half the fat of farmed Atlantic for example and can make a difference of around 50 calories for a 3oz portion, so keep that in mind. cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    LYNCARR wrote: »
    I noticed this today. Watermelon, 1/2 cup = 23 calories. Watermelon, 1 c = 23 calories. Watermelon, 2 c = 85 calories. Seriously? These were all values given for raw watermelon. (If there's another way to eat it, I don't want to know....)

Obviously, this is a low-cal food. But the same kind of variation shows up in a lot of items, not just the salmon as noted above. And when a food includes multiple ingredients (beef stew, for instance, or a cheese omlette, or coleslaw), it's totally the Wild West. Makes it really hard, sometimes, to plan your meal based on your target caloric intake for the day.

Checking other sources is a good idea, but one of the big draws (for me, anyway) of MFP has been that it was a quick and easy, one-stop app. Is there any way for the admins to clean up the database or clarify the difference between "Houlihan's" grilled cheese sandwich at 949 calories (!!) and the apparently generic grilled cheese sandwich listed at 160 calories (neat trick, since most sandwich-type breads list out at 80-120 calories a slice).

This thread is from 2012, not that the general premise is incorrect.

The database is crowd sourced. The plus is that it's comprehensive, so one rarely need add the food - a correct entry is usually in there. The minus is that it can be hard to find the correct one(s) amongst the nonsense.

For watermelon, use this one:

ob19yomvhc1p.png

Why? It's the one that was loaded to MFP at MFP start up from the USDA database at the time. How do I know this? These usually have a default serving size in cups, but the drop-down (as here) will have not only cups but weights, volumes, sometimes size measurements, etc., i.e., different types of serving sizes, not just different units. Often (not always), these have a name only a bureaucrat could love ("Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt", "Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average"). After a while, I got good at guessing what they'd likely be named, or close enough to find them quickly. YMMV.

For your very own cheese sandwich, add your bread, cheese, and whatever else individually. (Use the entries that match the labels.)

For a restaurant menu item, if it's a chain, look on their website for correct nutritional info, then find the matching entry on MFP. For a non-chain restaurant, use a similar menu item from a chain, or estimate the components and add some extra oil/butter to your assumptions.

BTW, the thing in the OP about the asterisk isn't true anymore. Skepticism about posts from 2012 is a good thing, often.
  • BriansTrident
    BriansTrident Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed that the database has way too many selections for the same food so I usually just pick something that looks about right or may even be a bit over. Unless it’s something brand new or from a big restaurant you really won’t know what’s the true calorie count
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I search for the USDA entry (with the green check mark). For example, I'd type "ground turkey 93% lean USDA" and look for the best-matched entry. Another user above mentioned that different species of salmon have different fat content, so that's another specificity that'll get you close. For fruit, the same, search with USDA in the search terms. But I'd never go by a cup of melon or even a whole melon, only by ounces or grams on a food scale.

If I'm in doubt or just can't find what I think is really right, I'll use google instead to search for the USDA numbers, then go back to MFP. Every once in a great while, I still can't find that in MFP so I'll add it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    I search for the USDA entry (with the green check mark). For example, I'd type "ground turkey 93% lean USDA" and look for the best-matched entry. Another user above mentioned that different species of salmon have different fat content, so that's another specificity that'll get you close. For fruit, the same, search with USDA in the search terms. But I'd never go by a cup of melon or even a whole melon, only by ounces or grams on a food scale.

If I'm in doubt or just can't find what I think is really right, I'll use google instead to search for the USDA numbers, then go back to MFP. Every once in a great while, I still can't find that in MFP so I'll add it.

If it says "USDA" in the name, it's not direct from USDA. It's a user-entered one. We can hope that the person bothered to actually look up the food in the USDA database, and then entered it accurately, but no guarantees.

The ones brought over from the USDA database when MFP started up . . . those don't say USDA, and they don't always have green checks. They usually have a default serving size in cups (even when cups is stupid), will have both weight and volume measures (and sometimes inch sizes or something) in the drop-down of serving sizes, and often have bureaucratic names like "Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average". See example above for watermelon, for one of the actual USDA-direct-sourced entries.