Why is it harder to lose 10-20 lbs than 50+ lbs?

Options
Does it ever feel like you are alone in the middle with needing to lose 10-20 lbs but most weight loss advice/tips are geared towards people looking to lose way more than that? I am definitely eating at a calorie deficit and have been for over a month (1500 cals, working out 3x a week + walking when possible) and have not dropped a single pound. Honestly losing the motivation at this point by seeing that I haven't made any progress at all. Ugh!

Sometimes it feels like I only ever see online content about people who dropped like 100+ lbs by making life style changes like cutting back on soda and chips, making meals at home and starting exercise; but I don't even eat those foods, I cook most of the time and try to work out during a busy week--and it's still not helping. Anyone else in the same boat? How are you staying motivated? Anyone got over this plateau? Please share your stories!
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    voguehoe wrote: »
    Does it ever feel like you are alone in the middle with needing to lose 10-20 lbs but most weight loss advice/tips are geared towards people looking to lose way more than that? I am definitely eating at a calorie deficit and have been for over a month (1500 cals, working out 3x a week + walking when possible) and have not dropped a single pound. Honestly losing the motivation at this point by seeing that I haven't made any progress at all. Ugh!

Sometimes it feels like I only ever see online content about people who dropped like 100+ lbs by making life style changes like cutting back on soda and chips, making meals at home and starting exercise; but I don't even eat those foods, I cook most of the time and try to work out during a busy week--and it's still not helping. Anyone else in the same boat? How are you staying motivated? Anyone got over this plateau? Please share your stories!

I've always felt like most weight loss advice is geared towards people trying to lose a few vanity pounds. However, the same advice goes for both, so... 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    All the above. Explanations and encouragement.

I'm just going to add the obvious, Don't quit. Plateaus are aggravating but they don't last forever.

Wishing you success. 👍
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    All the above. Explanations and encouragement.

I'm just going to add the obvious, Don't quit. Plateaus are aggravating but they don't last forever.

Wishing you success. 👍

They last forever if there is no deficit. After a month with no loss it's time to think about making dietary changes that allow for fewer weekly calories
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    With only 5 lb to lose (vanity), my maintenance cals are 1600 on non exercise days. Total bummer and makes creating a deficit more difficult! I wonder if you are in a similar boat?
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had 20 pounds to lose and I lost them. Weight loss takes focus and determination for all of us. Our brothers and sisters who have 100+ pounds to lose do not have it any easier and surely wish they had only 20 to take off. So let’s not direct our frustration in the wrong direction.

As Ann mentioned above, it’s no criticism to consider any of the common things that may be in the way of weight loss. I have made logging errors, overestimated exercise, underestimated calories, and also felt pretty deprived while feeling like I was going nowhere at times.

The difference between people who lose the weight and those who don’t is whether they are able and willing to work through the frustration, take the emotion out of it, and readjust whatever is needed to be readjusted.

Here’s my encouragement to stick with it and figure it out! You can do it!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I thought I wanted to lose about 6lbs (vanity) and could only shift the same 2 then regain then lose etc. So I re-evaluated things and thought actually it was more about body composition than the actual weight. The longer I've stuck with the gym the happier I've become with that. My weight still fluctuates around those 2lbs but I can see differences, maybe focus on those kinds of changes for a bit to take your mind off the plateau

With being only a couple lbs from your goal is one thing however when you're still a ways away then yes a plateau is something you need to deal with.

You can look at an honest to goodness plateau as a good thing. It means you’ve had a diet break and now it’s time to drop down one more click on the calorie dial
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I had 10 kg to lose (about 22 lb) - followed same general advice as anyone else and lost it over 10 months
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes the last 10 pounds can take a long time. I feel you because I’m wanting to drop 10 myself and have tried several times. Having long maintenance breaks helps me. So I do 6 weeks in a deficit then a month at maintenance. It feels like it’s taking forever but if I look at my happy scale entries, the line is trending down slightly month to month.
  • fatgrister2
    fatgrister2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose the last 5 - 10 pounds. It may seem like a little but I’m only 5 ft so it looks hefty on me. I thought I wasn’t eating much, as I was only eating breakfast and lunch and no fast food or sugar ever, however when I started logging really strictly ( every ingredient for every meal, no guessing) it turns out I was over eating by about 200 calories a day which adds up. What is helping me is NOT eating back my exercise calories ( I exercise almost every day) and counting the calories in nuts and olive oil. I fell for the lie that you can eat nuts and olive oil and not gain weight ( saw some studies that claimed this and believed them). Maybe some people can, but not me … I’m counting them now and losing the weight slowly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    voguehoe wrote: »

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's harder to lose the last 10-20 lbs because there's just not as much cushion if I accidentally underestimate calories or overestimate exercise. The logging has to be so tight it squeals. The willpower to say no to the second Krackel or Mr. Goodbar has to be iron-strong. The exercise gets tiring and can be hard to continually fit into the schedule. The discipline muscle can get worn out after so long, especially when you'd just like to enjoy a vacation or take it easy after an illness.

I'm back here to lost ~10-15 lbs. A few things have helped me in the past: be OK with losing 1-2 lbs per month instead of a more aggressive rate, find really low calorie snacks that fill you up like sliced cucumbers or hard-boiled egg whites, make excuses to get even more steps by parking further away or randomly inspecting the garden in your backyard, possibly stop counting steps and only count formal exercise so that the steps give you some cushion in case you overeat, where possible trade low-cal options for traditional ones (as long as taste is not sacrificed!), get a dog to walk or volunteer to walk dogs at a shelter, learn to be satisfied with 1 or 2 bites of a high cal food (and honestly, the pleasure factor goes down after about 3 bites anyway). It's not easy; when you've only got a bit to go, you're not whacking away at the wood, you just whittling it into shape little by little.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    It's called homeostasis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    At one point during my weight loss journey, my weight remained unchanging for three weeks, but I lost almost 3 inches off my waist. Be sure to measure more than just weight, because you may have made significant progress somewhere else. Possible measurements include waist, arm/thigh, bustline, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, heart rate, quality of sleep, overall energy level...