Artificial Sweeteners

Options
There are so many things said about artificial sweeteners, that I just have to believe what my body tells me about them. First of all, in using artificial sweeteners I have so many more options to reduce my calorie intake. However, one thing I read that is definitely true for me is that artificial sweeteners make you crave sweets. I notice when I am consuming artificial sweeteners I can't get enough sweets, and will do anything for them! So... I am trying to avoid them as best I can, however my favorite protein powder has sucralose (last ingredient listed). Does anyone else try to avoid them? Even the "all natural" artificial sweeteners have the same effect.

Replies

• cherryObebe
    Options
    I don't have that effect with Stevia products. I don't know what other natural sweeteners there are besides sugar. Splenda is even an artificial sweetener -> Sucralose.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    They don't make me crave sweets. They actually stave off those cravings for me. They give me terrible heartburn thought.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think it's best to avoid them altogether. They are not good for you, they kind of trick your body and make you crave sugary things more. I only use real sweeteners but very sparingly. We use, Raw sugar, Agave and Raw honey.
  • g_warne
    Options
    I find they work for me. Certainly don't cause me to crave sweets and help me get my sweet fix once in awhile.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Stevia is supposed to be the best one for you.
  • slicksps
    Options
    I always find it's a persona choice. I use something called 'Half spoon' which is basically half sugar, half sweetener and therefore half the calories. I can virtually tell you which sweetener or sugar has been put in my coffee, half spoon is enough sugar to trick me In terms of craving sweets, I always followed a golden rule given to me by a nutritionist client; If you need sugar, eat an apple. It's sweet, high in sugars and a good GI. If you still need sugar afterwards, eat another apple. Fruits are a great sweet substitute, especially as most sweets are aimed at tasting like fruits anyway! manderines are great because they're very sweet and only 40 cals or less. Apples are great if there's some hunger as well.
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. Artificial sweeteners cause me to have fibromyalgia "attacks". Basically, I lose all of my energy and start to hurt (where varies). I personally find that the way artificial sweeteners combine with my body is negative.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I joined a soda free september challenge, I included sugar free cordial, as it has the sweetners. I don't drink tea or cofee, so it is just water for me. Found it really hard at first, but I've got used to it and just don't crave it anymore. It definately used to make me crave more sugar. My weight loss has been quicker too since cutting it out. Definately a good move. The only time I'd drink fizzy pop or cordial is if I went for a meal or night out, this only happens once every couple of months. I feel its a really really good decision though! X
  • 2Bstrong
    Options
    I don't have that effect with Stevia products. I don't know what other natural sweeteners there are besides sugar. Splenda is even an artificial sweetener -> Sucralose.

Sweet Leaf Stevia plus or agave nectar were the two sweeteners I was told are okay to use. Neither contain aspartame/nutra-sweet or saccharine which are horrible for your health (you can look them up online and find oodles of information). The Stevia is my choice. It takes a bit to get used to, but since stopping all sodas, including diet sodas, I use stevia to sweeten my iced tea or lemonade. Also, I like to sprinkle a very tiny bit in berries to make them extra juicy. A little bit goes a long way. The "plus" in the name stands for natural fiber in stevia. I also recommend NOT getting the combo brands that are half sugar or half something else. Anyway, I hope this helped.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I do not use them. If I need some sweet, I use a little real sugar. Most any artificial sweetner I have tried either gives me a head ache, gives whatever a bitter taste or causes nausea. There is one diet cola I can drink but rarely do and another diet cola that makes me very sick which I never drink.
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't get it... I use splenda for my coffee, yoghurts, and I drink diet soda and I never really crave sweets or want to eat more...I've read articles that its bad for you and can cause weight gain, but I can say that's not the case for me. I do plan to switch to stevia once I'm done with all my splenda because I've been told its much better for you. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Splenda is the worst for me... I call it the devil!
  • shadowfx
    Options
    From what I've read over the last few years, my understanding is that artificial sweeteners can cause damage to brain cells and the neuro-transmitters within and also affect the healthy function of the Pancreas.

If my mother's example of lifelong obesity causing diabetes and the subsequent 30 years of artificial sweetener use is anything to go by, I'll quite happily pass on them and learn to live without sweetness (hubby says I'm sweet enough anyway LOL) - Mum now also has Alzheimers Disease as well as Type 2 Diabetes. Still feel like a Diet Coke?
  • MissMay87
    Options
    http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen?imageindex=1

I use splenda everyday in my tea, and sometimes if I get a craving for it I will have a diet coke. It doesn't make me crave more sugary foods, and as far as I'm concerned you can pry my chemical sweetener out of my cold, dead hand :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Stevia is supposed to be the best one for you.

Wow, if this is the "best" one...

Stevia has been linked to several long term side effects which has made it a reason for controversy and doubt in the recent years. Although it has been used since centuries by the natives, there are several claimed dangers of stevia. The following are some of the claimed dangers or side effects of stevia.

* Firstly, it is said to be the biggest hindrance in the process of metabolism in the body. Regular consumption of stevia slows down or stops energy metabolism and hence, disrupt the process of conversion of food into energy.

* Secondly, one of the biggest stevia dangers is its link to cancer. When tested in a laboratory, it was found that stevia was capable of bringing mutations in cell's DNA or the genetic material. This is only a claimed side effect as this effect has not been observed in human beings till date. However, scientists and researchers have still not confirmed whether stevia can cause this mutation in human beings or not.
    * Thirdly, difficulties or problems in reproduction is also believed to be one of the stevia side effects. Long term regular consumption of stevia is claimed to affect the male reproduction system, specially leading to a decreased amount of sperm production. When tested on female animal, it was found that stevia led to decreased number of offsprings.

I use sweeteners in my tea, replacing the sugar i used to have. Not only does it save me 600+ calories, I've also never felt fitter, stronger, or healthier! :D
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to be a really big proponent of artificial sweeteners (there was a time when I was drinking 4-5 diet cokes a day!). Then I spent a year abroad where the diet coke tasted different because it didn't use aspartame and the only sweetener available in coffee shops was raw cane sugar. After ten months of living that way, I came home and tried my aspartame-laced diet coke - not only did it taste awful to me, but I had the worst headache. Then I tried splenda in my coffee and again my head started pounding. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I haven't touched an artificial sweetener since. I understand it helps people lose weight (20 years ago, my mom lost 40 pounds by switching to sweet n' low), but something about willingly ingesting chemicals just doesn't sit right with me anymore...
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Geez! If stevia is bad for you then we are screwed to begin With... Seems like everything is bad for you these days!
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The topic of sweetners should be researched on an individual basis. I have done so for personal reasons. Stevia and Agave are all natural sweetners. Both are sweeter than sugar. Stevia is a lot sweeter.

The reason for my researching is to be more healthier. All the artificial sweetners are chemically modified and processed which means you are ingesting chemicals into your body. Diet drinks lead to osteoporosis and seen in teenage girls. Also, the reason or weight gain in some is because it tricks the body into thinking it is eating something sweet so it kicks in and produces insulin and all that jazz.

A sugar is that less processed is turbinado sugar called Sugar in the Raw. I recently just bought agave nectar to use. Some people use 100% maple syrup for sweetening as well.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Geez! If stevia is bad for you then we are screwed to begin With... Seems like everything is bad for you these days!

Exactly my point. Take everything you see saying X is bad for you with a pinch of metaphorical salt tbh.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Chemicals are bad for you.....