Foods that keep you full

Options
I need advice on foods that are good to eat that keep you full. Im having trouble with the times between when I eat lunch and dinner. Any suggestions of what types of healthy foods I could eat to not be so hungry. I usually eat a lean cuisin for lunch about 12:30 but by 3:00 its like I have ate nothing. Please help with suggestions :smile:

Replies

• dailyorange
    Options
    Lean protein and healthy fats will help you stay full. Some things I like to eat in between meals are cottage cheese, greek yogurt, almonds, natural peanut butter, etc.
  • KcR327ev
    KcR327ev Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fiber works pretty well :)
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have GG crackers with 1T. of peanut butter. Drink lots of water and that will certainly fill you up....protien and fiber!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    apples are really good. and if you like peanut butter, that's also filling. Peanut butter has quite a bit of calories, but it's also good for you. If you're really daring, you can dip apples in peanut butter... :)
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Squash and sweet potato are good, for not too many calories. Any fruits or veggies really, if only b/c you can eat a ton of them for very few cals! Those pre-packaged meals never fill me up for long either.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    apples are really good. and if you like peanut butter, that's also filling. Peanut butter has quite a bit of calories, but it's also good for you. If you're really daring, you can dip apples in peanut butter... :)
    This is one of my fav snacks! Yummy!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN --- not carbs.

Protein shakes, good greek yogurt (not the stuff with more sugar than protein), nuts, lean meat
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, veggies like celery, carrots, cucumbers - these are especially fun because they are crunchy - fresh fruit...these are my favs! I also usually find that when i eat a nice balanced meal - lean protein, carb veggie and fat - it keeps me fuller longer. Good luck!!!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I like to have Greek yogurt and some fruit. Or a piece of babybel cheese with some crackers (usually hint of salt triscuits) and some fruit.
  • BFitzie
    BFitzie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein definitely helps me. Peanut butter, cheese and nuts plus a little more meat at meals. I was eating only 4 oz of meat at suppertime but would be starving by 9pm. Now I'm trying 5 to 6 oz. and am finding it holds me 'till the morning.
    The Frigo lite mozzarella cheese sticks are awesome and I love "Better Than Peanut Butter" www.betternpeanutbutter.com.
    Try a few different things and see what works for you.
  • deerekelli
    deerekelli Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines always leave me hungry! I try to drink lots between lunch on going home everyday... green tea, coffee, water. That seems to help until I can get home to get something decent to eat.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    lean cuisines are probably not the best things to have for lunch...i would sub that for something with protein and fiber to keep you full :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Protein foods and fruits/veges are great. The right carbs can help too - for me, oat and corn based foods fill me up, but wheat based foods do not. Popcorn and puffed corn crackers fill me up, as does porridge and (the right, low sugar and fat) muesli bar.

Anything fatty and sugary does not help me make it to dinner without feeling hungry.

Also, I find splitting a 200cal snack into 2 x 100cal portions and eating one piece now, the other piece later makes me fuller than eating the full 200cal snack all at once.
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a frozen meal, I mix in loads of vegies including onion, garlic and fresh herbs....this will help keep you fuller for longer and make it edible! Also, having plenty of protein for breakfast helps keep the sugar cravings away in the afternoon.
    I like to have Apples, hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies or a skinny smoothie at around 3pm and keep up the water of course.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt!! It has like 14g of protein so it will definitely keep you full! Also, egg whites and maybe add in a piece of cheese.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Yogurt, beans, and oatmeal fill me up.

Here's a list of 25 appetite suppressants (foods) from shape.com

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/top-25-natural-appetite-suppressants
  • ChanMay
    Options
    I also add lots of frozen steamed veggies to my lean cuisine when I have one for lunch. It will definitely help keep you full for a longer period of time. My snack is usually around 3pm and it pretty much the same as everyone else. I love greek yogurt with some fruit or apple and p. butter, veggies are always good or dometimed if I'm feeling snacky, I have some popcorn :)
  • Jamazurunner
    Options
    In addition to this awesomely awesome list....

Sweet potatoes are incredibly filling for me. I just cook them and don't add anything extra on them. They are so filling and so health!

Soups of any kind are always filling. I go for really clear broth based soups. Trader Joe's always seems to have some amazingly low calorie and filling soups.

Most folks here mention veggies/fiber filling foods. Totally agree with this one. Steamed veggies is always a plus and always seem to keep my tummy happy.

Finally, HOT CHOCOLATE! I have a sensible sweets version, and it seems to fill me up quickly.

Hope this helps you!!
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    I was eating low calorie frozen meals for lunch and had the same problem. There is not enough protein in them for the most part. You need a protein snack between 3 and 4 is what I have read and that seems to be very true. If you eat some nuts and a piece of fresh fruit in the afternoon, you come home feeling good. When I didn't do that I was famished when I walked in the door and that spelled trouble. I have these cashew clusters from Costco or some healthy trail mix at 3:30 and it is so much better.

good luck
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Don't forget that it's perfectly fine to have a snack in the afternoon, especially if all you're having for lunch is a lean cuisine. Lots of people actually recommend that you eat smaller meals and more snacks, so just find some good snacks and you're good to go. :o)