Hello Detox Cabbage Soup… So Good

Options
2»

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,920 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @DonnasHealthyJourney it sounds great! I absolutely love cabbage and especially cabbage soup. Always glad to try a new recipe with ingredients I like. Bonus. Sounds very healthy, too! More bonuses. Low calorie, low fat, low sugar, high fiber. Sounds like a real "all you can eat" food.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    OP didn't say she believed that.

She just copied the name of the recipe and then made her own alterations, that's all
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    If there really were such a thing as a soup that could detoxify you, and it was a vegetarian soup, why would you think it would still detoxify you after you alter the recipe and add turkey? Either you believe in the original magical detoxifying formula and the authority of its creator, or you don't.

I don’t believe in the detox. OP didn’t say that either—she was calling it by its name, and it’s not new. I had a church cookbook from the 80s that had it. Many variations have ground turkey in it.

I think the concept of detoxing with diet is bunk and would say so on a post promoting it. This doesn’t seem like that kind of post. She’s sharing results of a common recipe with an unfortunate name that has stuck for a few decades. It’s still tasty, filling, and low calorie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The only detox that works is when you get thrown in the jail to dry out after getting arrested for DUI.
    :D:D:D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    Options
    One thing I really like about soup recipes is that they are a guide - one can make variations, additions etc and it turns out fine

Hearty soup in winter is just perfect.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I’m glad you posted this recipe! My grandmother made this all the time in the 70’s and 80”s! She always had a piece of toast with some cottage cheese and half a cling peach for breakfast and this was her lunch if we were home. Hadn’t thought of that for years…
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I’m glad you posted this recipe! My grandmother made this all the time in the 70’s and 80”s! She always had a piece of toast with some cottage cheese and half a cling peach for breakfast and this was her lunch if we were home. Hadn’t thought of that for years…

Probably not what your grandmother made in the 70s and 80s, as the original recipe by this name didn't have turkey -- it was part of an extreme low-calorie diet plan.
  • COGypsy
    Options

Probably not what your grandmother made in the 70s and 80s, as the original recipe by this name didn't have turkey -- it was part of an extreme low-calorie diet plan.

Potentially. I was never allowed to eat any of the soup—it was for “grown up ladies” and kids didn’t need to be eating it.
  • danielle6270
    danielle6270 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good lord I guess I need to change the title and say Hello Healthy Cabbage Soup 🤷‍♀️😩‼️
    It was just the recipe name.
    Good lord I guess I need to change the title and say Hello Healthy Cabbage Soup 🤷‍♀️😩‼️

Your soup looks delicious! People love to pick things apart online.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,920 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I’m glad you posted this recipe! My grandmother made this all the time in the 70’s and 80”s! She always had a piece of toast with some cottage cheese and half a cling peach for breakfast and this was her lunch if we were home. Hadn’t thought of that

Granny made this soup too. With chicken. So good!
    And I found weight watchers recipe for "cheese danish" back then, too. Spread cottage cheese on toast, slice a canned peach half and arrange on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until cottage cheese starts to melt. It didn't taste anything like cheese Danish, but it was a favorite after school snack.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

Potentially. I was never allowed to eat any of the soup—it was for “grown up ladies” and kids didn’t need to be eating it.

LOL. Got to keep those kids away from veggie soup!

I don't remember the 70s and 80s as being so weird, but I guess most things don't seem weird when you're growing up in the middle of them.
  • COGypsy
    edited July 2023
    Options

LOL. Got to keep those kids away from veggie soup!

I don't remember the 70s and 80s as being so weird, but I guess most things don't seem weird when you're growing up in the middle of them.

Diet culture runs strong in my family. I don't remember a time when my grandmothers/mom/aunts weren't on a diet of some kind. We didn't have sweets of pretty much any kind in our house (graham crackers and sometimes fruit were it), only drank skim milk, women usually at off of salad plates and almost never the same meal as the rest of us. All of it was presented as just part of what it means to be a woman. To me it's weird that this wasn't how it was for everyone else too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Your soup looks delicious! People love to pick things apart online.

Once you know a forum culture, you can sidestep semantic battles.

For example, everyone I know in real life says "processed food" when technically they mean "ultra processed/highly processed food." Here on MFP, using "processed food" for UPF can derail a conversation. I have come to see that UPF is more precise, and so use it myself now. And I often drop in a link to the NOVA definition:

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/nova (Group 4)
  • Lisa7937
    Lisa7937 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love both soup and cabbage, so this looks absolutely delicious. It prompted me to go searching for a similar recipe and I edited it to add everything else you said is in yours. I can't wait to make it!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I think of 'detox' as a treatment for helping your body end its addiction to drug or alcohol abuse...cabbage soup just won't cut it. That said, the soup looks delicious!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    mgalsf12 wrote: »
    I think of 'detox' as a treatment for helping your body end its addiction to drug or alcohol abuse...cabbage soup just won't cut it. That said, the soup looks delicious!

Come on.

We know it is just a name and nobody is making any detox claims - been clarified over and over.

Let's leave that alone now
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    mgalsf12 wrote: »

Lots of people do. Is food toxic, no of course not. Are diets toxic, well, the SAD diet all over the world is killing people (said for theatrics, but true) then some might consider cabbage soup with turkey as a "detox" method in this context. Personally I would have used rabbit, I like rabbit better than turkey, although I have come close a few times in my area coming into contact with a wild turkey with the front end of my car, then quite possibly I would be using turkey. cheers.