Options
13»

Replies

• dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    I struggle with this as well. My body is disproportionate: I'm 5'5.5", but my legs are incredibly long (I wear a 36" length pant.) I've only achieved a 22 BMI once in my adult life and I looked sick. Too thin and bony. My current goal is 150 (currently down 30 pounds to 163.) This is barely within normal BMI range. I will re-assess when I get to goal, but I don't think I can go too much lower than150 happily.

Hi there! Do you know your lean body mass? There was an interesting thread you might like to figure out your ideal weight and it’s not your BMI. I bumped it if you’d like to check it out.

I don't know my LBM. I'll check out the thread. Thanks!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't mean much unless you have an average amount of lean body mass and an average amount of fat.

my BMI is 25.7 but parts of me look like a BMI of 35 or 40 while my belly (which is large compared to the rest of me) looks like a BMI of 45 or 50. none of me but my forearms, hands and calves look like the examples for a BMI of 25 or less in either graphic.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,174 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    BMI doesn't mean much unless you have an average amount of lean body mass and an average amount of fat.

my BMI is 25.7 but parts of me look like a BMI of 35 or 40 while my belly (which is large compared to the rest of me) looks like a BMI of 45 or 50. none of me but my forearms, hands and calves look like the examples for a BMI of 25 or less in either graphic.

You seem to be confusing BMI ( weight divided by height squared) and bodyfat percentage? They're not the same thing, BMI gives a general idea for health assessment, since the same BMI looks very different depending on body composition. Bodyfat percentage is more precise, but harder to know (hence infographs online to help people judge their bodyfat percentage).
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    At first I was just happy to lose anything. However, as my weight started going down, I found this site to be really helpful:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

It not only gave me a possible target weight to shoot for, it also helped me figure out what my maintenance calorie budget might look like.
  • mareeya88
    mareeya88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'4" but I'm shooting for 150 pounds. Reason why is because I apparently have a large head and I was called bighead and bobblehead when I was really skinny. :| I felt really good about myself at 150!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,600 Member
    Options
    mareeya88 wrote: »
    I'm also 5'4" but I'm shooting for 150 pounds. Reason why is because I apparently have a large head and I was called bighead and bobblehead when I was really skinny. :| I felt really good about myself at 150!
    No, it probably means you were just smarter than your pinhead friends and needed more headspace for the extra helping of brains.

It’s amazing how casual comments or events from long ago can color our perception of ourselves for a lifetime.

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" 150 puts me right in the sweet spot for healthy for my age (mid 70s). I've been maintaining happily at this weight. To go 5-10 pounds lower to get to "normal" on the BMI chart would be a stuggle for me to maintain. My doctor told me not to lose any weight. Bones are great, all blood work is great and I am on no meds.
    Pick a goal that not only is attainable but take a look at maintenance to see if that is something that will be easy for you. Yes I said easy, you still have to weigh yourself and see how you feel but it should not be a lifelong hardship.
    I only have 10-15 years left on tthis earth (hope for more but...) I don't want to spend that time worrying about food and my weight.